“Ticks nearly all the right boxes”

Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Rooms, decent size, typical functional, choice of pillows. Tea making facilities, but no biscuits.
Beds comfortable, cleanliness exeptional. Bath with shower over, could be difficult for elderly guests.
Bar, lounge comfortable, but service slow. Spa/pool/gym available, looks nice.
Restaurant, at breakfast exceptional choice, every conceivable variation, and food good and hot, service was good
However, eat there in the evening, Ambiance of a canteen, noisy to the extreme.
Food was variable, some hot some not so, the service was poor, and the waiter in charge was surly, refusing to serve wine at the table. Having to queue with 20 odd other people at the bar, being unable to peruse the wine list (which was expensive) at leisure, does not bode well for a relaxed evening meal.
These deficiencies turned what could be an exceptional place to stay overnight into an average budget stopover.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
kcoombs, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback about your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay generally and that you enjoyed breakfast in the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some issues with the restaurant and bar service during the evening, I will certainly pass your comments back to the staff and look at ways of improving our service for the future. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

I stayed here bank holiday Saturday for a nearby family party. I got an excellent room rate including breakfast so didn't have very high expectations of the hotel but I was very pleasantly surprised.
My ground floor room was very clean and well presented although a long walk from reception and I didn't realise until woken by noisy wedding party revellers that I was on the edge of the function area.

I didn't use the pool but it looked very clean

Breakfast was plentiful and tasty with lots of choice. All in all a real bargain of a stay - thank you!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
kcoombs, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel following your stay with us, I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. I am sorry to hear that some guests attending an event in the hotel were noisy on this occasion, I do hope that it did not disturb you too much. I am glad that you had an enjoyable breakfast and I will certain be passing your comments back to the chef. I do hope that we will have the opporunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

Stayed here for 1 night, check in was quick and efficient despite being busy. Room was modern and what I expected from this type of hotel . Booked a couple of months in advance and got a good rate with breakfast. Breakfast was buffet, plenty of it, counter well stocked and tidy and a good start for the following journey home.

Only downside was if there is a function on it can be a little noisy until around 11pm (as was during my stay on a Saturday)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your kind review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you had a good stay with us, despite a few noisy guests in the hotel attending an event, I hope it did not disturb your stay too much. I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast too. I certainly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

We staye dhere for a meal and a night out on my sisters b'day. The rooms aren't that big but they are well decorated and very quiet. The leisure club and pool are very calm. The evening meal in the restaurant is very nice and quite posh. The berakfast though is to die for with a very vast array anbd people at your service all the time!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time write your review with regards to your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay for your sisters birthday. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed both your dinner and breakfast, and I will certain pass your kind comments on to all my staff. I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

Having tended to prefer Holiday Inns, I booked this one as myself and the family were up in London during the day and wanted to stay over near but not in the City. On arrival there was an indication of possible problems as I was warned that there was a coach party staying. Why should that be an issue I wondered?!

The hotel seemed clean and reasonably well kept although it was clear it was designed for business rather than leisure guests. The room was small and a bit pokey but that in itself was not a problem. The lack of setup for a family was sorted reasonably quickly as well. In fact the staff were without fail helpful throughout.

The swimming pool was well kept providing a nice amenity.

The problems really started in the restaurant where our table was not ready at time we had booked. The warning over the coach party came back to haunt us! They had just been in and the whole place seemed overwhelmed both in the restaurant and the bar. Once we did get a table starters took a long time and then the main courses were delivered whilst we were still eating them! We didn't wait for dessert. This situation was repeated in the morning where the breakfast buffet was thin on the ground as the poor chef tried manfully to replenish it after it had been stripped bear by the now departed coach party!

It must be stressed. The staff tried hard to provide service in very difficult circumstances of chronic understaffing given the coach party staying. That is management's problem, not the staff's. They either should have staffed better for this or not taken that booking. Very bad planning.

i wouldn't stay again simply because I wouldn't want to take the risk of that happening again. The rating would be worse but wouldn't reflect the effort may of the staff put in.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed for 2 nights on a Thursday and Friday. Stayed on a 2 nights for the cost of 1 on a room only basis, so worked out very reasonable.

Check in was smooth and efficient. Room are reasonable with wooden shutters instead of curtains. A nice touch and kept the daylight out. Room had a fridge. Another nice touch, thankyou. Only down side was the long walk back and forth including another flight of stairs to get the bags down, although on the Friday night there was a function and so actually pleased that we were so far away from it.

Hotel backs onto an Airport, but don't worry it's only light 2 seater planes that use it; no 747's will be landing or taking off!

Leisure facilities are very useful and not to busy.

Ideally located for exploring Kent. Only 50 minutes from Dover docks and the surrounding areas of Rochester and Chatham offer ggod shopping, nightlife and attractions. In particular Dickens World; it's not just for kids!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
kcoombs, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Thank you for your comments with regards to your recent stay at the Hotel. I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and enjoyed exploring Kent. I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We arrived at the hotel and immediately saw the pool and fitness suite. We then walked in went down some steps, round a corner and found reception. The receptionist was friendly and efficient, we were in room 207 and we could not believe how far from the reception it was. The hotel was full on our 1st night otherwise we would've requested another room. Having mobility problems the pool was somewhere I was looking forward to going, but with the room location this was not going to happen as even my physically fit husband did not want to have to walk all the way up to the pool (up 2 lots of steps, numerous corridors and down in the lift), so we used it once, that was the highlight of the Hotel for me, the Jaccuzzi was fabulous.

The meals were all of good quality, the staff were more than helpful and English! (always nice in the uk) the rooms were ok but the mattress gave us both back ache. The bathroom had a sink, toilet and shower over the bath, in other words nothing special, the lighting in the bathroom was dreadful when having a shower.
I would not stay here again, I would only recommend this hotel if you either request a room near reception or if you're ok with the almost mile walk to the room.

• Stayed: August 2011
kcoombs, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Thank you for your comments with regards to your recent stay at the hotel. I am sorry that your room on this occasion was so far away from amenities in the hotel which had a negative impact on your stay. I do hope that if you are visiting the area again that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
#5 of 17 in Maidstone
The Inn on the Lake
The Inn on the Lake
#1 of 1 in Shorne

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!