“Fantastic Family/Business Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Herts
“Fantastic Family/Business Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights (Friday to Wednesday) combining my Husbands Business (he had several meetings in Kent) and My 7 Year Old Son's half-term break.

I thought this hotel was fantastic. The Staff, ALL of the Staff were really lovely - I did go to Reception many times throughout our trip, and each time I was helped instantly and friendly and made very welcome.

I fully recommend this hotel.

I have just read Paul Wood's essay - and feel quite obliged to write my own now.

My son has been diagnosed with ASD Aspergers - its a member of the Autism Family - and every new thing can provide difficulty and stress to his routine. We have had problems even with him staying at Disneyland Paris hotels - and they cater for 100% for children.

Our 7 Year Old LOVED The Holiday Inn from the moment he arrived at Reception, the staff were so friendly towards him. He had a sofa bed which was made up especially for him complete with a colouring kit and box of Cars 2 Chocolate waiting for him - which he loved - he was so happy! He loved his special bed. He felt safe and secure and happy at this hotel. This in turn made our stay very happy. He had his own key to the room - provided by Reception - of course he did not use it - but he had "his" which made him feel secure and safe (an ASD thing). There was an empty mini-bar - this was fantastic! as there is an ASDA 1 mile away. This meant I could fill the Fridge with all his favourite foods and drinks and not have food issues to face either. We were there 5 nights. They were lovely pleasant 5 nights. The Hotel Pool and Spa was my son's idea of heaven. He went swimming twice a day with his dad - and I enjoyed the spa, hot tub and sauna.

The other added highlight to his trip was the light aircraft airport next door. This was NOT a loud distraction, this was a very helpful and extra bonus attraction - he loved watching the helicopters take off and land. He is 7! :-)

If you read these reviews and you have children, especially ASD children they should enjoy their stay here

Any parent with an ASD child will understand that staying away from home is a nightmare, but you need to do it! - and if you need to stay somewhere, stay here!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kcoombs, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review of the hotel. I am really pleased to hear that you and especially your son had an enjoyable stay with us. I do hope that when you are travelling into the area again that we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

i have long tried to be fair with these reviews - sometimes a small pause can put things into perspective. However I was seriously underwhelmed by this hotel for all the reasons that I tend to favour this brand.

I arrived after a horrid drive and went into the welcoming reception and was immediately looked after by an extremely pleasant lady. She checked me in - got me to sign the paperwork and asked me if I wanted a free newspaper and early morning call and would I like a table for dinne? . I answered yes to all three and this was organised. I got to the room to discover that for some reason I had been allocated a twin bedded rather than a double bedded room. I went back - by this time a crowd of people had arrived and I had to wait. Nevertheless, I was given a double bedded room with an apology by a gentleman who had joined her on the desk. I went up to the new room. It was freezing - the window had been left wide open. What were housekeeping thinking of? Does not one check these rooms? I closed the window and turned on the heat. Actually although I had not read this - there is no heating. They heat the room and this device cools it back down. I have never seen anything like it. I got under the covers and watched TV - I then went down to the reception and told them. The gentleman came up to the room - apologised and said that i could have a heater. Personally I would have liked to change room but did not suggest it - I should have done.

I went down to dinner - the restaurant is excellent. The staff were so pleasant. Caroline apologised for keeping me waiting with a warm and welcoming smile. Any irritation that I felt went out of he window. My meal was good and the wine from Sicily was delicious.

No establishment can do anything about the other guests. One of those in the dining room was arguably the loudest most self-opinionated youngish woman I had heard in a long time. Clearly a Mistress of Self Congratulation she regaled her table mates in particular and the entire dining room with her diagnoses of the company (in the lens business) in a Canadian accented voice that resembled a saucepan falling down a mountain. Her shrieks of laughter at her own wit filled the air and must have half deafened those who clearly were obliged to hang on her every word. I gave up my crossword after she pronounced that "the business of any company is always restricted by people who do not want to do more work" (I am not making this up). Once I realised that these pearls were being cast before any swine that happened to be passing, I decided to tune in full rather than just being part of a sort of cocktail party.

By the time that I finished my meal - and it really was the high spot of my stay - I returned to the room. I would be dishonest if I thought that the room was small. Tiny might be better, and miniscule would be the aptest description of all. The bed filled the room. I have taken a couple of pictures to try and show this. The window was shut - but it did little to keep out the noise from the busy road about 100 metres away. I did sleep but once I awoke at about 5.00am getting back to sleep was not possible. I can say hand on heart that I have been in bigger Travellodges. The TV was excellent - once you negotiated the menu - but there was not a single non-British TV station. The package is a disgrace in a country that is hosting the Olympic games and which clearly had plenty of French visitor on the night that I arrived.

The bathroom was adequate and there were plenty of towels. Why the soap has to be hidden and not out by the sink is beyond me. The bath outlet was chipped and damaged - what on earth do people take in the shower with them?

There are the means of making tea and coffee - and plenty of it as well which is welcome. There was what looked like a minibar with a glass door - as it was empty I will never know. The Corby trouser press was a nice touch. The entire place was lit with the dimmest energy bulbs that I have never seen. There was a spotlight over the bed - but that could only be turned on from one side of the bed. Why? I was pleased to have asked for a double bed - I am not that heavy (180lbs) for my height - I am not clinically obese according to my Doctor. However I would have been challenged for space with two in that bed - it was a double - just. It would be fine for a honeymooning couple I suppose although I cannot imagine the omen starting married life in that particular bed would portend.

The car park is free and there is a swimming pool and hot tub - I did not have time to use this as I had some business to conduct - which is why I was there that night.

My early morning call came absolutely on time (I never rely on this so always take an alarm clock) although I was wide awake thanks to the traffic. Surely a Holiday Inn should be double glazed or have some means of quietening the room. I doubt whether the management of the hotel (who will receive a mail from me on this and other Priority Club issues) have ever slep in my room - or maybe they live in noisier streets than I do - but I would love them to try. in fairness I never heard a peep out of the neighbouring rooms. These were clearly occupied judging from the finished meals on trays that had been left in the corridor.

I left the Hotel just as the newspapers were being delivered so collected mine at the desk. It was free as is this review! I have really tried to emphasis everything that was good about it. I would stay again - if I had to but not in any room vaguely near that road and only in the height of summer in case someone leaves a window open again!

I have not come here to be vindictive about a hotel. I have no axe to grind and it is possible that the hotel was swamped but it was blindingly obvious to me that the hotel was understaffed in the restaurant and bar and possibly elsewhere. Having been to the desk once I feel that I tried to bring matter to the attention of the hotel and that it either was not terribly interested - but I should point out that I am in the top tier of their elite programme so I stay in many Holiday Inns. The kindest thing that I can say is that this was British Hotel that made me embarrassed to be British. This is not what I have to come to expect from a Holiday Inn and I even wonder if it intend to remain one. I wish that I could say better than I have - but maybe the Manager will explain when he replies.

Room Tip: Probably best not to stay here at all if you have luggage - there might not be room. Even numbered r...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your detailed feedback of your recent stay with us. I have responded to you directly with the feedback that you left me.

Travellers are raving about these Chatham hotels

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

A group of us stayed here after a work party, arriving at 2AM the hotel was accommodating, comfy and the staff were very helpful (even getting me extra on room service)!

Delicious breakfast, comfy rooms and clean hotel!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of the hotel following your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel and that the staff were able to cater for your needs during your stay. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you into the hotel again
Rochester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

We booked the special rate valentines weekend. We paid a bit extra to upgrade to an executive room which was very nice. The room was clean nicley decorated and fresh bedding.
The evening meal in the restaurant was very good plently of food, excellent service friendly staff. BUT when we came down in the lift from our room the temperature drop hit you and it didnt improve in the restaurant which was unfortunate because we couldnt wait to get back to the warmth of our room. Some people were even taking thier food deserts back to the room because it was so cold. This was a shame because apart from the cold it was a lovely weekend

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable Valentines Weekend with us. I do apologise for the temperature in the restaurant on the night, we did have an issue with the heating units at the time which have now thankfully be fixed. I do hope it will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.
Billericay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed at this Holiday Inn for 2 nights on a weekend in Feb 2012. The staff are absolutely fantastic - nothing is too much trouble - very friendly and helpful. Rooms are very nice - clean and comfortable. Breakfast was wonderful - really good selection of hot and cold - restaurant staff are very approachable and help out in any way they can. We are very impressed with this hotel and are going to book up again in a few months when weather is warmer.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rosielamb
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant and enjoyable and that you were well looked after by all the staff, I will certainly pass your comments on. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
maidenhead
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

I am writing this review from the restaurant in the holiday inn I have decided to as I have been waiting here now for almost an hour now. That wouldn't be so bad but it seems that the heating isn't working, the others in the hotel must have been aware of the arctic condition as they are all wearing jackets. I will remember for next time.

Apart from the lack of service the hotel room and location are fine. I do expect better from a holiday inn. I have stayed in better travel lodges.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Ian_cormac
kcoombs, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review with regards to your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you were cold in the restaurant; unfortunately our air conditioning/heating system did fail due to the weather conditions which we are working hard to rectify. I do apologise that this impacted on your experience with us.
brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed recently in a twin room with my Mum for a relative's birthday party nearby. The room was very good value. The breakfast was great- buffet style but you can ask for poached eggs etc, lots of choice and fresh fruit/croissants etc. Paper ordered was there as it should have been, room was great, did the job. Not luxury but has all you need for a short stay- even a fridge! I have stayed in far worse for £100+ per night.
We didn't use the bar or restaurant so can't comment on those. We did use the pool ( not a bad length pool and great steam room that we had to ourselves. Staff were friendly and professional. £55 for two with breakfast, leisure facilities and free parking? Not bad in my book!

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the back of the hotel so you are not overlooking the main road- those ones may be...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank brightongirl
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you and your mum had a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed your breakfast. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Hilton Maidstone
Hilton Maidstone
#8 of 15 in Maidstone
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,438 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!