“Great Hotel, Great Staff”

Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Great Staff”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stopped here every week during the month of July.

Not once did I wish I was at home, the staff are friendly, the rooms are nice and comfy.

If you're ever in need of a room in Kent then I recommend this place

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms are the best
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for reviewing the hotel. It was great to hear you found your stay so comfortable and 'home from home', and would recommend us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Whilst my normal stays in this area are at the Holiday Inn Wrotham Heath, I tried this hotel on Tuesday 23 July. Check in was prompt and helpful and I received my usual platinum upgrade to an executive room, which was at the rear of the hotel and facing the small airport runway. The room was of usual standard, with complimentary bottled water and chocolate bar, the bed and pillows were both fine, the only complaint was that when I jumped into the shower it Didn't work, so I took a bath instead. I didn't eat in the restaurant so I can't comment on the standard of the food, I did have a drink in the lounge area which was very pleasant. Overall a well run, comfortable hotel and would stay here again.

1 Thank Kebuts
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found it comparable to the Holiday Inn at Wrotham Heath. I am sincerely sorry that the shower did not work, we will be getting maintenance to look into this immediately.
Angus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed for 5 nights from 10th July and despite the reviews being decent prior to booking, all of a sudden, there were a few not so good after I booked, so I must admit to being slightly nervous by the time we were due to go.

I was a travel agent for almost 30 years and will admit to being a bit of a hotel "Snob" However, the days of staying in 5 star luxury with our disabled son are pretty much non existent these days. That said, I do expect a certain standard so my review is honest and I hope it helps someone.

The Holiday Inn Rochester is next to an airfield, but don't let that put you off, it is mainly helicopters and microlights and I did not hear anyone complain about the noise.
The hotel is also on a main road- I knew this when I booked and I requested a room away from the road as I can imagine there may be some road noise.
There is more than enough parking for everyone, so no problems there.

Now, the hotel looks pretty much a low rise building, but it is deceiving from the car park, because you enter from the top level of the hotel and go down. The Hotel is also quite big and spread out. This was the only real downside as far as I am concerned, especially for the less mobile who might find the layout and distance to walk a challenge.

The main entrance brings you in at the health club/pool area and there are steps down to reception. There are maybe 8 steps or so but there is a stair lift if you have a problem. Alternatively you can walk further up the grounds and there is a slope/ramp without stairs which goes past the restaurant and lounge to reception.

We tried to check in just before 3pm, but our room wasn't quite ready. The friendly receptionist rang housekeeping to check how long it would be and offered us some teas and coffees while we waited in the lounge which I thought was excellent service. She came back to tell us when it was all ready- we were in room 18.

Our room was on the ground (reception) level and was not facing either the road or the airfield, but was overlooking some of the hotel grounds in a kind of quadrant. It was a lovely room, spotlessly clean with a comfortable double bed and a single (sofa bed but very comfy) for our son.
There was a big flat screen TV, air conditioning and a dressing area with a fridge (very handy for juice and wine) The room wasn't huge, but it was spacious enough and was absolutely fine for us. I was pleasantly surprised and relaxed straight away.

I had read some guests saying that their room was a long way away from reception and yes, I can see that, as I mentioned earlier many rooms would be a long walk away as the corridors seemed to go on and on. If this is a problem, then let the hotel know. I'm sure they would do their best to accommodate you. There is a lift, but it might still mean you need to negotiate steps, so do check before you get there.

Our room rate included breakfast each day which is served till 10am Mon-Fri and 11am Sat-Sun. We found the breakfast to be very good. The staff were helpful and friendly and we had no problems at all. When we stayed there was some kind of wheelchair Rugby competition on and there was a bit of banter at breakfast and in the evening with the men. One morning, one of the men in his wheelchair said a few choice words in the restaurant because chairs were in his way- but to be fair, that was nothing to do with the hotel, so we ignored it. Live and let live I say, but I wouldn't have appreciated this kind of language if it had gone on and on, especially with children around.- it didn't thankfully.

Our son loved the pancakes each morning and there was plenty of choice with fruit, cereal, breads/croissants cheese/ham and yogurts as well as the usual hot/cooked bacon, eggs, sausage etc. We ordered omelettes on a couple of mornings which were cooked to order and were delicious. Tea and Coffee are all ordered when you are given your table in the morning. Really , all in all, the breakfast was good value for money and I would recommend paying the little extra.

We didn't dine in on an evening, I will admit that previous comments from guests saying the food wasn't great did put me off, although we were tempted by the 2 courses for £12.50 pp with kids under 13 eating free on a weekend, but we were so busy each day that it was just easier to eat out, so we didn't get round to eating in the hotel at night.

The pool is a decent size and compares favourably to other hotels of a similar category. The spa was fine too- very warm but lovely. If I was nit-picking, I could say that I didn't like the fact that there were no private changing facilities in the changing rooms. Sorry Holiday Inn, I know that in many health clubs, communal changing is the order of the day, but I am shy and there is no way I am showing by bits to anyone! I used the disabled toilet to get dressed though, so not really a big issue. The pool wasn't too busy either. We were very lucky.

We were really surprised at how nice it was and had a lovely time! Everyone was very helpful and couldn't do enough for us. I would recommend it to anyone and we will be back for a return visit again next time we are in the area.

Thank you Holiday Inn Rochester!

Room Tip: Hotel is spread out, so be careful of room location and ask for a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you so much for your great review and taking the time to write about your visit. I am so glad you had a lovely stay. I do hope you will be staying with us again in the future.
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 15 July 2013

As a frequent business traveller with experience of everything from hostel-type B&Bs to 6 Star hotels I don't often feel the need to review overnight accomodation unless anything particular stands out. After staying at this Holiday Inn last week felt I should at least contribute something positiive as having been left in the lurch with nowhere to stay near Buckmore Park at the very last minute they really exceeded my expectations. Room was a decent size, quiet, clean, airconditioned and comfortable (family room). Staff where under huge pressure as hotel was fully booked and they had several birthday/wedding and sport-related parties staying yet still managed to be patient and helpful even with some particularly difficult/demanding guests. Meal deals in the restuarant are also pretty good value and the food way above the standard often experienced in mid-range chain hotel restaurants. Admittedly service wasn't the quickest but the food had clearly not come straight out of a freezer or a microwave so I had no issue with the extra wait. As a comparision at £70 the room was cheaper than a Travellodge or Premier Inn and with free use of the gym and pool included it represented way superior value for money than either.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found it such good value.
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The hotel and room was pretty much as advertised, but if i'm honest over-priced, but a necessity as the location was ideal for a local business trip.

I went to the hotel restaurant for my evening meal on the saturday, to be made to wait in excess of 45 minutes, with chaotic, disorganised staff doing seemingly very little to actually deliver food, when my undercooked, overpriced (and i suspect boil in the bag) meal turned up, my pork was undercooked, greasy and slimy, the man serving, simply shrugged his shoulders and told me "thats how it comes" when I questioned it.

Including drinks, I went to bed, £30 lighter, and feeling rather unhappy. I awoke next day and opted to skip breakfast as I looked into the restaurant to see food baking under lights, far too much like a service station for my liking. I returned for lunch, mainly due to lack of knowledge of an alternative location, and went for the roast dinner carvery. To my surprise, the meat was well portioned and well cooked, but upon cutting into my vegetables, there seemed to be more crunch than expected, and upon biting into my carrots, this was definitely the case, stone cold and i suspect shown hot water, but not actually immersed in it.

I attempted to summon the young man who had served me, but was unable to catch his eye, but an extremely courteous young lady called Kim, listened to my concerns (the first time I felt that someone had in 2 days!) and disappeared into the kitchen, emerging with a fresh batch of vegetables, that were actually cooked.

It seems so trivial, but it was the first time I felt like any member of staff paid an ounce of attention, let alone demonstrated an ability to perform their job.

When I finished my meal, I left a tip, implicitly stating it was for her, for her help, I just hope she actually got it. Why the rest of the disinterested staff can't offer the same level of decency is beyond me, customers deserve better, and that lady deserves to be part of a better team.

I will in-future seek alternative accommodation I feel!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am extremely sorry for the poor dining experience you had at the hotel. This is certainly not our usual standard of service and I have taken your comments on board, and retraining will be taking place where necessary.
It was however great to see your comments about Kim, I am sorry that you did not feel all of the staff were as great as her, and I will certainly make sure that she is aware of your great comments

Travellers are raving about these Chatham hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Usually stay in Holiday Inns and always found them to be ok until staying at Rochester. Never been in such a small bedroom and far too hot. Bathroom was rather shabby - mouldy looking rubber bath mat and doer looked if it had been kicked. Breakfast was ok but had to ask on four occasions for hot food trays to be refilled, butter,clean glasses. Also milk jug was on a saucer with previous occupants dirty teaspoons on both days. Tables were left with dirty plates on both days we were there and had to move our own as they never seemed to have time to clear them. Not enough staff to cope . Very disappointed and would not recommend this particular hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gareth_lowham
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
I am so sorry that we did not live up to your Holiday Inn Expectations. It is not usual for guest to experience the issues that you did. Please feel free to contact my operations manager directly at the hotel who will be happy to discuss these issues with you further.
Tullamore
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed here in July 2013. Contrary to other recent reviews we found the service excellent and very friendly. The room was clean and comfortable. We especially enjoyed the pool - a welcome retreat from the hot weather.

We had diner for four in the restaurant. The menu was a little restricted but the food was good 'hotel average', nothing exceptional. The price, perhaps, was a little high.

Overall, if you need somewhere comfortable and 'mid range' in the Chatham area, then this is just right.

Room Tip: Face the airport, not the road - it's quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
I'm so glad that you found the service excellent and friendly, and the room so clean and comfortable. It was also great to see you made good use of our excellent health club facilities.
The restaurant food and prices are comparable with other hotels in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
#5 of 6 in Chatham
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#4 of 15 in Maidstone

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!