“Bar and restaurant service a mess!”

Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
“Bar and restaurant service a mess!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

As one person on foursquare put it - "This place is like Fawlty Towers!"... I agree but it lacks the comic element!

Lots of angry customers tonight.

If you're in the area I'd recommend the Ramada Encore - the food isn't up to much there but there are a load of good restaurants and a pub a few minutes walk away... Good for a bit of variety if you're around for a few nights.

• Stayed August 2013
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
I'm sorry that you felt the hotel was like Faulty Towers within the bar and restaurant. I only wish we had been able to discuss this with you and rectify it for you during your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I rarely have time to even think of reviewing places let alone writing them, but I feel compelled to add my comments on this hotel. I stayed here with my family for one night on route from Blackpool to our home in Brussels. The traffic on the M25 had been horrendous, but we were greeted by a lovely smiling and helpful gentleman who enquired about our journey and gave us complimentary drinks vouchers to make up for our M25 experience, what a cracking start! We stayed in the 'deluxe' rooms 152 and 154. A horribly long distance from reception through a maze of corridors. The rooms themselves though were perfectly pleasant if not exactly deluxe, there was an unfortunate rip in our sofa, but the air con worked a treat as did the tea and coffee provided in the room. Shower was very good and there was a fridge which enabled us to chill the water we had with us. We were on a dinner B&B inclusive package and the food was REALLY excellent. Living in Brussels, a land of steak et frites, I can confidently say that the rib eye we ate (for only a £2.50 supplement as we were on a fixed rate) was superb, cooked to perfection and full of flavour, chips were some of the best I had eaten and served with a punchy pepper sauce. The service overall was a tad slow but we arrived fairly late and such was the friendliness of the staff i will say no more; Other mains were equally good ( good meaty hamburger and tasty sausage and mash) as were desserts. No one pulled a face when we asked for a jug of iced tap water....The foodie experience was really a cut above most hotels I have stayed at including some 5 star.There was a little confusion of the payment of the extras we had had but this was sorted out with smiles and professionalism by both gentleman working on reception the next day. Breakfast was truly superb with, again, excellent sausages, thick flavoursome bacon and very plentiful. The pancake making machine was a huge hit with my teenage son. Again, the waiting staff were really a cut above...I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and I will return when we pop to the UK to stock up on some native treats which we do regularly. Price, service, food all exceptional. Well done to all who work there, both front of house and behind the scenes! Much is mentioned in some reviews about the location of the airport. These are light aircraft and you can hear zero at night. During the day we had a pleasant experience watching some of these small planes take off. Can't imagine how this would in anyway upset anyone's stay.

Room Tip: If you want to be closer to reception, make sure you request that as some rooms are located some dis...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 132Deb
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel. I am so glad you had such a great experience , especially within the catering department. It was great to hear all your lovely comments especially regarding the staff, their great service and friendliness. I do hope that we can welcome you back when you next visit the UK.
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My friend Maureen booked an exec double room for us as a last stop over in the UK before a channel crossing. Actualy closer to Chatham than Rochester but close to M2. Very efficient and friendly front desk, clean, tidy modern rooms. Great facilities. After a very relaxing swim, shower and change of clothes we hit the bar before dinner. Met two very nice heating engineers, stayed in the bar all night and missed dinner. However, we all returned to our room for a snack and another bottle of wine. The heating engineers kept us warm enough all night.
Great breakfast

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 880janett
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you liked the location and the rooms and enjoyed your stay. I hope you had a good time on the continent.
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stay here all the time with work and I must admit it is getting to be a home from home. I have probably staying in most the rooms and I must say I haven't really had a bad one. Staff are brilliant and really go out their way for you. Breakfast is amazing and the location is pretty good too.

Room Tip: Toward the back of the hotel 220 upwards you sometimes get an extractor fan coming on at 11pm, can b...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ukilledkenny_1
What a great review. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am so glad you always enjoy staying with us.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Great location a few minutes from the M2. Fantastic gym, sauna, steam room, swimming pool available. Rooms good, executive room upgrade unexpectedly given too. Room had a few extras such as free water and chocolate plus black out shutters. Staff very friendly. Breakfast great, like this hotel a lot.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rusty66Cheshire
Thank you for your great review. I'm glad you liked the hotel and all its facilities including the health club, and also the luxury of an upgrade to an executive room. Hopefully we can welcome you back again soon.
Johnstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Booked while there was a deal on so got exec room for £49 per night. We were staying along with a big group of friends for a wedding and having seen their standard rooms it is definitely worth paying extra. Check in and staff attitude was first class. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
I'm glad you got such a great deal on your room and enjoyed the luxury of an executive room. I hope you and your friends enjoyed the wedding you were attending and I hope we can welcome you back sometime in the future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Where do you start. Stayed for 3 nights from sat to tues. Room very small, 203, ok for one but for couple difficult. Bathroom could do with a deep clean. Food in restuarant, terrible, waited ages for drinks we order, then even more time for food, 3/4 hour before main dish! then worst food I have had in UK (and thats saying something!) and nowhere near usual standard for holiday inns. On sat night staff could not cope with function as well as running restaurant. Staff not communicating. Very loud live music from function late evening, staff not interested when complained,, then noise of drunken guests leaving function going back to rooms! This is after midnight! Not what you want after long days driving and expecting to get up early the next day! Did not eat in resturant again during stay not even for breakfast. bar staff untrained and gave me one glass of prosecco via a measuring gauge which meant it went flat and spilt loads out of gauge! I know this is what he was told by his supervisor to do so not his fault! Overheard one guest being advised that the main resturants in Rochester where very close by, and walking distance. Untrue, 10 - 15 min in taxis! Sheets not changed during stay. Plastic glasses in room not replaced. Showers in pool area, old and reminded me of old school showers. Womens changing room dirty. Yes I did complain on the sunday and did not pay for meal sat night, although I did not eat very much of it anyway, and did get one nights free. Also be aware that this hotel backs straight on to Rocherster airport, so although only small planes and helicopters in may be a nuisance to some and busy during weekends. All staff need to be trained properly and in particular on customer service. Not one member of staff look happy in their roles! I will never stay here again. I know it can be done so much better. Dont bother find somewhere else to stay in Kent!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear carol b,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered during your stay. Your comments about the food in the restaurant as well the service you have received that did not meet your expectations have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Chatham hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
#5 of 6 in Chatham
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#3 of 15 in Maidstone

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!