“A major drawback”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
St Albans, United Kingdom
“A major drawback”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We thought that our stay at this hotel was fairly expensive for a 3-star. The room was very small, as was the double bed, but the bed itself was comfortable, the bathroom worked OK and the towels were very good. We liked the little fridge in the room and extra milk was brought when we asked for it.

Our room was a very long walk, along three sides of a square from reception; too far really. Service at breakfast was good, although both the bacon and the eggs were over-cooked.

Holiday Inn’s greatest drawback without question is its failure to provide free wi-fi in any part of the hotel. In this day and age for a customer to be asked to pay £10 simply to check his or her email is ridiculous! When there’s free wi-fi available on Brighton beach, in Scarborough harbour and on Cambridge city buses and Starbucks, and McDonalds can provide free wi-fi for the price of a cup of coffee why can’t Holiday Inn do the same for customers who have paid over £100 for a one night stay?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay a the hotel. I am sorry that you felt the charge for wifi a drawback for your visit.The company is looking into offering complimentary wifi for all IHG reward members as from next year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

having stayed at quite a few holiday inns in the past and how the one at Gloucester had improved I thought the whole organisation may have changed. what a poor deluded fool I am. after a 9 hour drive to get there, having been caught up in the tailbacks of 3 accidents and played the stop go game on the M25 (give me death valley on the M60 any day) the reception area was being used as a spill over for the bar and was very noisy it was very hard for both the receptionist and myself to understand each other.

finally we found our room and headed for the restaurant we found that the menu was a bit limited, we both ordered the steak pie which was quite flavoursome but the mashed potatoes came out of a packet. here we found two extremes of waiting staff, the over attentive one was strutting around the area full of their own importance asking everyone if everything was alright every few minutes I felt like saying I do not know as you keep on interrupting me while I am trying to eat. at the other end of the scale our main course was taken to the wrong table.

at the end of the meal we asked for a pot of tea for 2 and were told that as they are now starbucks!!! they do not use teapots anymore, so what we were given were mugs and not even a teaspoon just a stick. so we decided not to eat there again apart from sunday breakfast.
the following morning I found that my car had been vandalised during the night, on returning to the reception to inform the management of the incident, the reply I received was 'not again, I am going to have to write another report, give him the local police phone number' so much for helpful staff and so at the time of writing this comment I have not from anyone at the hotel.

so to sunday breakfast, the fried eggs looked as though they had been there for a long time, the bacon ,hash browns, sausages and black puddings were very dry the only things that had any moisture were the tomato, mushrooms and beans and guess what we tea in teapots with spoons, I DO NOT LIKE BEING LIED TO.

the only members of the staff who were working very hard are the ladies who are looking after the rooms, I found them helpful and nothing was to much trouble. thank you very

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
I am extremely sorry about your poor experience at the Holiday Inn Rochester. This is definitely not our usual standard. Please contact me directly at the hotel and I will be happy to reimburse you for your stay and discuss your feed back with you.

Travellers are raving about these Chatham hotels

Reviewed 12 August 2013

As one person on foursquare put it - "This place is like Fawlty Towers!"... I agree but it lacks the comic element!

Lots of angry customers tonight.

If you're in the area I'd recommend the Ramada Encore - the food isn't up to much there but there are a load of good restaurants and a pub a few minutes walk away... Good for a bit of variety if you're around for a few nights.

• Stayed August 2013
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
I'm sorry that you felt the hotel was like Faulty Towers within the bar and restaurant. I only wish we had been able to discuss this with you and rectify it for you during your stay.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I rarely have time to even think of reviewing places let alone writing them, but I feel compelled to add my comments on this hotel. I stayed here with my family for one night on route from Blackpool to our home in Brussels. The traffic on the M25 had been horrendous, but we were greeted by a lovely smiling and helpful gentleman who enquired about our journey and gave us complimentary drinks vouchers to make up for our M25 experience, what a cracking start! We stayed in the 'deluxe' rooms 152 and 154. A horribly long distance from reception through a maze of corridors. The rooms themselves though were perfectly pleasant if not exactly deluxe, there was an unfortunate rip in our sofa, but the air con worked a treat as did the tea and coffee provided in the room. Shower was very good and there was a fridge which enabled us to chill the water we had with us. We were on a dinner B&B inclusive package and the food was REALLY excellent. Living in Brussels, a land of steak et frites, I can confidently say that the rib eye we ate (for only a £2.50 supplement as we were on a fixed rate) was superb, cooked to perfection and full of flavour, chips were some of the best I had eaten and served with a punchy pepper sauce. The service overall was a tad slow but we arrived fairly late and such was the friendliness of the staff i will say no more; Other mains were equally good ( good meaty hamburger and tasty sausage and mash) as were desserts. No one pulled a face when we asked for a jug of iced tap water....The foodie experience was really a cut above most hotels I have stayed at including some 5 star.There was a little confusion of the payment of the extras we had had but this was sorted out with smiles and professionalism by both gentleman working on reception the next day. Breakfast was truly superb with, again, excellent sausages, thick flavoursome bacon and very plentiful. The pancake making machine was a huge hit with my teenage son. Again, the waiting staff were really a cut above...I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and I will return when we pop to the UK to stock up on some native treats which we do regularly. Price, service, food all exceptional. Well done to all who work there, both front of house and behind the scenes! Much is mentioned in some reviews about the location of the airport. These are light aircraft and you can hear zero at night. During the day we had a pleasant experience watching some of these small planes take off. Can't imagine how this would in anyway upset anyone's stay.

Room Tip: If you want to be closer to reception, make sure you request that as some rooms are located some dis...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 132Deb
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel. I am so glad you had such a great experience , especially within the catering department. It was great to hear all your lovely comments especially regarding the staff, their great service and friendliness. I do hope that we can welcome you back when you next visit the UK.
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My friend Maureen booked an exec double room for us as a last stop over in the UK before a channel crossing. Actualy closer to Chatham than Rochester but close to M2. Very efficient and friendly front desk, clean, tidy modern rooms. Great facilities. After a very relaxing swim, shower and change of clothes we hit the bar before dinner. Met two very nice heating engineers, stayed in the bar all night and missed dinner. However, we all returned to our room for a snack and another bottle of wine. The heating engineers kept us warm enough all night.
Great breakfast

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 880janett
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you liked the location and the rooms and enjoyed your stay. I hope you had a good time on the continent.
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stay here all the time with work and I must admit it is getting to be a home from home. I have probably staying in most the rooms and I must say I haven't really had a bad one. Staff are brilliant and really go out their way for you. Breakfast is amazing and the location is pretty good too.

Room Tip: Toward the back of the hotel 220 upwards you sometimes get an extractor fan coming on at 11pm, can b...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ukilledkenny_1
What a great review. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am so glad you always enjoy staying with us.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Great location a few minutes from the M2. Fantastic gym, sauna, steam room, swimming pool available. Rooms good, executive room upgrade unexpectedly given too. Room had a few extras such as free water and chocolate plus black out shutters. Staff very friendly. Breakfast great, like this hotel a lot.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rusty66Cheshire
Thank you for your great review. I'm glad you liked the hotel and all its facilities including the health club, and also the luxury of an upgrade to an executive room. Hopefully we can welcome you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
#3 of 6 in Chatham
Ship & Trades
Ship & Trades
#5 of 6 in Chatham

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!