“Eat out!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Bransgore, United Kingdom
“Eat out!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I stay here regularly as we have a special deal with work.
The rooms are quite good but small, bathrooms clean but dated.
If youre a weathered in pilot it is alongside Rochester aerodrome.
It has a pool and fitness centre....which is quite good...so Ive been told, though not a user myself.

I had a go at the restaurant agin tonight, and I will reiterate previous reviews on the matter...you're better off going out to a restaurant in Rochester and avoid the dissappoinyment.
If they could only get this right...

On the positive side, the staff are excellent, and work really hard to ensure you have a good time. Holiday inn should give them a medal!

I have no option but to stay here but as long as the restaurant is only adequate, so is the hotel.

Sorry holiday inn Chatham staff... You try so hard.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback with regards to your stays at the Holiday Inn Rochester. I take on board your feedback with regards to the restaurant and I have forwarded on your comments to both the Head Chef and the Food and Beverage Manager for review. I am sorry to learn that to date we have not met your expectations in the restaurant. I am pleased to hear that you find the staff friendly and helpful and if there is anything I can do in the future to make your stay more comfortable please do not hesitate to contact me

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Portsmouth. UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Very surprised with Holiday Inn, we stayed there on Friday night and lunch should have been a warning shot. I had a burger which was served very very rare with the roll having oil on the outside. my partner had a steak baguette and whilst we sent it back to be well cooked, it was returned in the same blooded baguette.

Sleep was poor due to constant "humming" noise coming from within the building (next door)

Breakfasts was a sham with the waiter more interested in talking to the waitress than seeing to guests. Coffee was warm and the breakfast hot food had been out for sometime, the has browns had been cooked in an oven I think as they were soft in the center. Sausages and Bacon had been out for sometime but all was on the cooler side of warm.

Very unimpressed with this hotel, Oh water is £4 for a 75ml bottle

2 Thank Maxinpompey
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am naturally disappointed to learn that your stay was not up to your expectations. Please be assured that I have passed your feedback on to both the Food & Beverage Manager and the Head chef to address the issues that you have raised. I have also instructed the maintenance team to investigate the noise that you experienced in your room. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Chatham hotels

Sao Jose Dos Campos, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

This hotel is ok for short business trips. It has a great rate (especially if paid in advance), it is clean, and well maintained. There are a few things that annoyed a little bit, though: (1) there is no iron in the room, and no ironing table also (there is an appliance that will do the job only for trousers); (2) there are no vending machines available for little snacks or drinks; (3) Internet fee is quite expensive. Also I got two less than satisfactory small experiences: pattern for England power outlets is completely different from US and European, and the hotel could not help me with an adapter, and; I requested wake up calls for the same time the whole week but it worked only in the first morning. Restaurant is very good though, with good service and decent prices. Location is good as well, especially if you want to be in the airport surroundings. Breakfast is nice also, though with not that many options.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us. We can provide an iron and ironing board on request to the rooms. Internet service will be a service that our IHG reward members will be able to enjoy for free as of the 1st July. I do apologise that we were unable to supply you with a suitable adapter during your stay, usually we do have a supply of these but unfortunately guests do not hand them back in after borrowing, I do apologise for the inconvenience this caused. I will pass your feedback on to my Front of House Manager with regards to the wake up calls not happening, once again I do apologise for the inconvenience this must have caused. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant and that the location is great for your requirements, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again
Trowbridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

This was our third visit to this hotel on a Bed & Breakfast basis. We have always been very satisfied in the past staying in the winter months but this time found the air conditioning in our room too hot. The hotel tell you not to adjust the controls, so the only alternative was to open the window,which we did, although that was not ideal in a ground floor room.
The facilities in the room are very acceptable & our Breakfast on all 3 mornings was of a good quality & ample choice.
We booked Dinner one evening at the last minute & the service was extremely slow. The Coach party couldn`t really be made an excuse as they had a set menu which was totally self service.
It took us two hours to have 2 courses[6.15 to 8.15.p.m.] which was a very long time considering we were one of the first in the restaurant & ordered straight away.The hotel bang a 10 % service charge on your bill for restaurant meals without consulting you,so beware.
Our recommendation is to stick to Bed & Breakfast and go out for Dinner,which we had done on the first 2 nights.
The Staff overall are very friendly and helpful.

1 Thank Hughj191
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Hughj191,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I'm glad to hear you found our staff agent to be very friendly and helpful. We're proud of our staff. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience your restaurant experience may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here last year for a night and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. So we pre booked our stay for a night after a day out in London.
When we arrived we was greeted at reception by a very friendly and helpful gentleman. He fully explained my situation about the WiFi that the hotel provides and assisted us with some access.
Our room was ready on arrival and was as before very clean and comfortable. The children's beds were ready and made.
We extremely enjoyed the use of the spa club within the hotel. The swimming pool and sauna was so relaxing after a long day. The gentleman at the Spa club was helpful and very courteous. The only complaint was that the Ladies changing room floor needed to be cleaned more thoroughly or often?
The breakfast the next day was excellent. Great value as the children were able to eat free.
The breakfast staff were very observant to our needs and provided a fantastic service.
We would without doubt and most certainly will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dean F
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for your lovely feedback with regards to you stay here with us. I am very pleased to read the comments you have made and take on board the feedback with regards to the cleanliness of the ladies changing room. I am very pleased that you and your children enjoyed the facilities and the breakfast service. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Started well with a swift and efficient check-in. Then we went to our room and impressions took a serious knock.

The room was tiny and boiling hot. The walls were marked and in obvious need of a lick of paint. The light switch for the bathroom had a piece of plaster missing at the side - which was unsightly and possibly dangerous. We managed to cool the room down by using the airconditioning - but it was noisy. The result was a poor nights sleep with the choice between being boiled or enduring the air-con droning. We couldn't keep the wndow open because of the main road traffic noise.

We also noticed badly marked ceiling tiles in the corridor around the lift. It looked like there'd been a leak from the roof at some time. In places the tiles had broken and exposed the inner insulation. not the standard I'd expect from a Holiday Inn.

However.... Breakfast was really good. We're always suspicious of buffet breakfasts as they are often luke warm at best. Everything was piping hot and very tasty.We also loved the fresh pancake machine. Just press OK, wait a couple of minutes and out pop freshly cooked pancakes - delicious! Again the staff were really helpful, offering endless supplies of tea and coffee.

Overall I think the staff are being seriously let down by the Holiday Inn group. They're doing a fabulous job but need the group to invest some money in decor and repairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road if you're a light sleeper.
1 Thank shadylady57
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear shadylady57,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the room condition, air conditioning. We will address these concerns. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Thatcham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Quick check in having already pre-paid, good instructions and signage to locate the room and afterwards back to the reception. The room was clean and spacious, rather warm on arrival but fortunately the air con cooled it down quite quickly. Bathroom/shower good, towels, large and soft. Did not eat an evening meal or try the bar as I was visiting family. Had a good night undisturbed sleep with a quick check out in the morning. Breakfast was not taken (see below).

Two things I think could be improved:-
Lighting in car park - fairly dark on my arrival.
Having the breakfast option for say £8 for 1 visitor rather than just charging £16 for up to two visitors. Paying £16 for a single breakfast is rather over the top when just a basic breakfast of cereal is required so I brought my own cereal and frozen milk along.

Room Tip: Odd number room (109) was overlooking a central area not on the road side.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am very pleased to hear that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us and most importantly a good nights sleep. Thank you for the feedback with regards to the lighting in the car park I will be reviewing this issue. We offer breakfast vouchers which can be purchased on arrival for £11.95 per person or breakfast if taken on the day is £15.95 per person. We do offer a light selection of breakfast items such as toast or muffins in our bar area for guests who do not wish to take a full breakfast. I hope you might find this helpful in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
#3 of 6 in Chatham
Ship & Trades
Ship & Trades
#5 of 6 in Chatham

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!