“Clean, basic 3-star, not many frills”

Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed for 1 night. Room airconditioned, comfortable, well-insulated but small. Staff friendly enough but seemed unable to cope adequately with problems; electricity for the beer-pumps kept breaking down, staff unable to take cash for bar drinks after midnight but no explanation, overcharged for breakfast voucher, no explanation. Food ok but not spectacular and not cheap. Fruit juice at breakfast watered down (why do they do this?). Small indoor pool looked pleasant enough but I didn't try it out. Car parking adequate. Only amenities within walking distance are a large hypermarket and a pub (opposite directions). Wouldn't go out of my way to stay here, but there's not a lot of local competition.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Humblestrummer
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for taking your time to post your comments with regards to your recent stay with us. I do apologise that we an issue with the bar pumps during your stay and that this caused, we have now fixed the issue, I do apologise for the inconvenience caused. Our policy within the hotel is to not accept cash payments after 11pm in the hotel, as service is only restricted to Hotel Guests after this time. Thank you for your feedback with regards to the Fruit Juice, I have fed this back to the Food & Beverage Manager to review your comments with our suppliers. I do hope that if you were visiting the area again you would consider using the hotel again

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have been staying at this hotel on a regular basis for years on business. It hasn't changed much over the years but the bathrooms are starting to look a little worn (room 219 crack in the sink). The bedrooms are small but very comfortable. Tea and coffee making facilities are in the rooms but no biscuits (standard room). I tend to eat in the bar area rather than the restaurant and you can also order food from the restaurant menu to eat in the bar (food quality has improved over the last 2 years in my opinion). It does sometimes get very busy though. I have met some really friendly staff over the years I have stayed here which makes for a pleasant stay. There seems to be lots of new faces this year and all seem very helpful and friendly. The facilities are good with the gym, pool sauna etc. on site. There is plenty of car parking available.
Breakfast is really good with a great selection for a light continental style or a fully blown gut busting English.
Overall I always have a good stay here and book it as a first choice rather then another in close proximity (even more so in summer as the rooms have air con).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LuciferManchester
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for your review of your stays with us over the years. I am pleased to hear that you have an enjoyable stay with us and choose to return on a regular basis. Thank you for the feedback with regards to the bathroom we will look into that further. I am pleased to hear that the staff make you feel welcome during your stays and we look forward to your continued stays.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for one night with my friend in a twin room. It is what it is, a short stay hotel ideally located near historic Rochester. Spa was great, supplied towels and could use gym, sauna, steam room and pool. Some staff a little moody but generally good service. Breakfast was great, good selection on offer but slow service and coffee was awful, actually it was the worst i have ever tasted. Food and coffee expensive but would stay again for the bargain price we paid.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking your time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you had the opportunity to use the spa facilities and had an enjoyable breakfast in the hotel. Thank you for the feedback with regards to the coffee, I will investigate this further. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed for one night mid week on business.
Arrived late evening and was given a second floor standard room. The room has all the amenities you will find in similar Holiday Inn properties. My only comment was it was smaller than other hotels of a similar age.
Room service failed to answer two calls, called reception who were happy to help.
Breakfast service was great, staff were very attentive and the food was well prepared.
Hotel parking was conveniently located near the reception.
Will return when in the area again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for your comments with regards to your recent stay with us. I am sorry we failed to deliver on our room service on this occasion, please be assured we are currently reviewing and monitoring our service to our guests and your feedback is most appreciated. I do apologise for the inconvenience this caused to you. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast with us. Thank you for your feedback on the guest bedroom, I take on board your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We have stayed here on two occasions recently as we needed to be in the area. The first time we managed to get a dinner bed and breakfast deal which was excellent value. The second time, only six days later, we could not get the same deal and it worked out a lot more expensive.

One tip is to get a Tastecard, (normally available on free trial), as this is accepted in Holiday Inn restaurants and the food is then half price. This does not apply at breakfast time however, and the breakfast is ridiculously overpriced if you don't get it as part of a deal. We ended up getting sandwiches and croissants from the Asda across the road, as we were not prepared to pay 26 pounds for two breakfasts. The service in the restaurant can be slow and we waited twenty minutes for our desserts to arrive, even though the place was nearly empty. However we were offered free drinks as an apology and the servers are very pleasant. The food itself is tasty and we enjoyed our meals.

There is plenty of free parking right outside the hotel. Be prepared for a short flight of stairs to get to reception.

The rooms are standard Holiday Inn, clean and comfortable, large TV, tea and coffee making facilities, nice bathroom with plenty of hot water. As we are Holiday Inn Rewards Club members, we used our extended check out privilege and kept the room until 2 pm on our second stay. Unfortunately reception failed to inform housekeeping and twice they came to the room to see when we were leaving. This made us feel a bit hounded.

The internet is not included so we took our mobile dongle for our laptop but the signal was very poor. We heard other guests commenting that they couldn't get a mobile signal.

There is a swimming pool and fitness centre which we did not use but it looked good.

The hotel is convenient for sightseeing in historic Rochester. It is only about thirty miles from London which takes approximately an hour on the train, or a short drive to Ebbsfleet station and take the high speed train into London or to France. It is about a forty-five minute drive to the cross Channel ferries and Channel tunnel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear overall you had a pleasant stay with us, I hope that you will have an opportunity to use the leisure facilities on your next visit to the area. Thank you for the feedback with regards to the communication between reception and housekeeping, I will highlight this feedback to the teams for review, I do apologise that this made you feel that you had to leave before 2pm. I am glad to hear that you had a nice meal in the restaurant and were able to take advantage of using your Tastecard, during your stay, yes we do accept the Tastecard. However there are some restrictions so would recommend calling the hotel to enquire prior to coming to the hotel to avoid disappointment. I am pleased to hear that you found the location good for exploring the local area and further afield. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Myself, my husband and 2 little girls stayed here for 1 night over the bank holiday weekend. We got a really good deal at only £81 for dinner, bed and breakfast for all 4 of us. There was plenty of free parking. We waited about 10 mins at check in as it was busy at that time (2pm). We were asked to book our table for dinner and given our key card but no directions to the room. Our room was a brisk 5 minute walk from reception but this was fine for us. We were pleasantly surprised with the room - it was spacious with a double bed, sofa bed and fold out bed. All were comfortable. We were surprised to find a safe and a fairly large fridge in the room. We went straight down to the pool and it was lovely with only a few other people there. They give you towels when you arrive. The pool was lovely and warm and there was also a small paddling pool for little ones. The Jacuzzi was like a hot bath and very relaxing. We left the pool to get ready for dinner. The shower was not very powerful but we were pleased there was a bath for the children. The hairdryer supplied was absolutely useless and took about an hour to dry mine and my 2 daughter's hair!! We arrived for dinner and the restaurant was pleasant. There was a good selection of food, even though we were eating from a set menu. The adults food was lovely. The kids food was buffet style and some of it was very dry. We slept fairly well although the room was very hot and the air con was too noisy to sleep with it on. The breakfast was fantastic - such a great selection with everything you could want but the tea and coffee was pretty bad.
Although the hotel was not perfect, we paid so little for our stay that I had to give it 5/5. Worth every penny of our £81!!

Room Tip: Some rooms are right on the main road which could be noisy - I would ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your family’s recent stay with us, I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. I am glad that you had fun in the swimming pool and a comfortable nights sleep. Thank you for your feedback with regards to the kids buffet, I am sorry to hear that this was not up to your expectation on this occasion, I have fed your comments back to my Head Chef to review this. I have taken on board your comments about the hair-dryers. I do hope that you have the opportunity to bring your family back again in the future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We booked here as it was handy for the ferry port at Dover for our holiday to France. Our first stay was on a Friday night. As we arrived late & were leaving early, we didn't use the leisure club of have breakfast. The hotel was easy to find off the M2, the room was nice, clean & spacious.

We stayed the second time on our way home from holiday. Check in was easy & we dumped our bags & headed to the leisure club to relax after a long journey in France.
The leisure club was great,clean & just what was required after been sat on the motorway for several hours.
Be aware, due to the layout if the hotel, some of the bedrooms are quite a distance from the reception/bar. It didn't bother us but i suppose if you had mobility problems it might be abit of an issue.
After a good nights sleep we went for breakfast which was enjoyable. The only disappointment was that the restaurant looked pretty chaotic as if they'd been very busy. Lots of dirty tables (some of which didn't get cleaned while we were there) no pancake machine as advertised (it was broken) & the hot breakfast food did seem to be taking along time to be refilled meaning that most of the time at least one of the items of the breakfast was not available. Only a slight disappointment as i said but thats why i've scored it 4 instead of 5 out of 5.

All in all, a good hotel, staff were all very attentive, great price (cheaper than a travelodge 4 miles up the road!) & idea for what we needed.

I stay again if we were in the area

Room Tip: Most of the family rooms are located in the "extension" which is quite a walk from the way...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ThePottersYrok

Thank you for you kind review following your two stays with us. I am pleased to hear that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us on both occasions and that you did have the opportunity to enjoy the facilities on your second visit. Thank you for the feedback with regards to breakfast service, I have fed this back to the team for their review and action, I do apologise that this had a slight negative impact on your stay, especially as the pancake machine was broken. I can assure you that the pancake machine has now been fixed and ready for your next stay at the hotel, I do hope that you will have the opportunity to come back again soon to enjoy them.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
#3 of 6 in Chatham
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#4 of 17 in Maidstone

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!