“Lovely Room with Lovely View”
Review of Ship & Trades

Ship & Trades
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My mother, 2 yr old daughter and I stayed from Friday - Monday. We arrived in Chatham via train and easily hired a taxi once finding it'd be too far to walk to the Ship and Trades. The staff is friendly and the hotel is well decorated. As other reviews have mentioned there is a pub attached. The menu is pretty standard pub grub and great prices. I live in Cheshire and was surprised to find the prices lower than my own local pub! I thought as London is so close the prices of the area would reflect, but simply not the case! The price of double room was also very competitive.
The room was clean and nicely decorated. It is understated, but still modern. It definitely reflects the areas nautical heritage, and not in a cheesy way.
Like the last review mentioned it was uncomfortably warm in the room as the windows are only tiny. The fan provided didn't give much relief as it was a tower fan which had seen better days.
The other issue I found was with the room being directly over the back door of the pub, so at 11:30 the first night (friday) the bottle bins were being emptied. So there were a few almighty crashes of glass bottles being dumped. I was already awake as I was so hot. Neither of these things were the fault of the hotel - they can't control this crazy hot summer we've had. If I were to stay again I'd make sure to request a room other than 4 because of the location above the back door. Other than that it was surprisingly quite even being above a busy local pub with tons of outdoor seating.
The staff was lovely as I said. Breakfast was provided, there's no need for me to restate what the other reviews have said. They had a nice variety so in the time we stayed I never had the same breakfast twice.

There is a CO-OP shop in the same block as the hotel and pub, as well as a little chippy. Having the shop so close was great as my little girl drinks milk like it's going out of fashion! Within short walking distance is an outlet shopping mall, a number of restaurants, a cinema and the Dicken's World attraction. All of which we took advantage of. There are bus stops outside of the shopping mall which went into Chatham town and Rochester.

Over all it was a pleasant stay. If I ever returned to the area I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Room 4 is above the pub back door so there was noise of bins being emptied as the windows were open.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at the Ship and Trades Hotel so we could visit The Historic Docklands reception. Small the greeting was very welcome, our room clean bathroom needs updating a pleasant view looking at the docks and boats, breakfast was hearty plenty of it very nice, busy pub we enjoyed our meal in the evening, then we had a lovely meal the next evening in the restaurant upstairs staff pleasant most enjoyable stay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edna54
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed there for one Saturday night in July as I was meeting friends for a birthday in the local area and I was pleasantly surprised!! The hotel was part of a busy bar and the room was a nice size for us. When I booked they only had twin beds left but that was OK as it we were only staying one night. We didn't have any of the bar food but it looked really nice and plenty of people were eating there which is always a good sign. They have a separate restaurant on the 1st floor where you can book to have evening meals and this is also where you have breakfast as well.
The room had tea & coffee making facilities and very soft towels plus toiletries and a small TV, all we needed for our one night stay. Nice hot, powerful shower too.
The full English breakfast was huge and very nice and freshly cooked. (It kept us going for the rest of the day!) There is a choice of cereals to start if you like, and then you have a choice of hot breakfasts. Tea and coffee which is regularly replenished too. And a lovely waitress who served us. Overall the hotel is clean, with nice people and good food and for the price what more do you want!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paddy40
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This hotel/pub is a really good use of one of the old dockyard buildings. Our room was nicely decorated with a nautical theme. It was clean as was the bathroom . The view was of the dock and apartments opposite. This was a problem as there was no privacy in the bedroom or bathroom unless blinds/curtains were closed. Because of the construction of the building, the room got very hot from the Sun and opening the tiny producers. windows did little to help. A fan had been provided but it was rather old, noisy and feeble.
We had dinner at the hotel. The restaurant is a pleasant room with nice views of the marina. The food was pub grub - nice but nothing out of the ordinary

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WH56
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights so as to visit attractions in the area. Reception staff were pleasant and polite.
We had arrived in time for lunch so decided to eat there as well.
Food was typical pub fayre (which I usually enjoy) but this was mediocre, to say the least. The vegetables, carrots and green beans, were practically raw and had no taste whatsoever.
Breakfasts were better. Plenty of choice and cooked to order but we had no other meals there.
The room was basic but adequate but some shelving close to the washbasin in the bathroom would have made things a bit better.
The room was hot for sleeping, no air con, so we needed windows open. However noise from the building's condensers were a nuisance. At £80 per night, I thought it poor value for money although one might argue that you pay for the location.
We could walk from there to the historic dockyard and Dickens World and catch a bus nearby to go to Rochester.
One final criticism was the way we were rushed out of the bar at 11 pm. Staff were clearing up around us well before that. As there was no resident's lounge, the only alternative was to go to the room. No 24 hour reception but we were given a key to the front door for when we were out after 11 pm.
I can't imagine I would go again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Decent hotel amidst the dockyard with a young and helpful staff. The rooms are simply furnished with good beds. The pub is inviting and attracts a lot of different people. Parking is great.

The bathrooms are a bit too simple to my taste. A very tiny sink, an old bathtube and hardly space to move. Nn maintenance! Bathrooms don't match to the otherwise good rooms.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Travelodge Chatham Maritime Hotel
#1 of 2 in Gillingham
Gordon House Hotel
Gordon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rochester

Been to Ship & Trades? Share your experiences!