“Perfect location!”
Review of Ship & Trades

Ship & Trades
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The rooms are tastefully decorated & very comfortable. We had a lovely view of the marina. The breakfast was tasty & plenty to fill you up. We didn't realise we were 200 yards from a retail centre which also had lots of restaurants - bonus! the historic dockyard, the reason for our visit, is a short walking distance from the Ship & Trades. We didn't need to get in the car all weekend.

Room Tip: A room with a marina view is recommended.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie G
There are newer reviews for Ship & Trades

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights in this pub / hotel and were very pleased with its location, free parking and breakfast. Having read that it can be noisy we asked for a room on the marina side and that was perfectly quiet. Got rather hot as the heatwave was on and no air con.

Room Tip: Room on the marina side away from car park and Co-op delieveries
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KEHSgirl
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Another visit to really nice hotel with a superb breakfast. Unfortunately we left some medicines at the hotel, I went back at the end of the week and they remembered seeing them as they had a sticker "Nairobi Hospital" on the bottle which is quite memorable. the lady in charge then said we hadn't left them and there were only a few paracetemol found, it's a shame she couldn't be honest enough to say they had lost or discarded them - tis a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive. It was clear I was disrupting her breakfast, poor thing - how does she think she get's her money?

Room Tip: 6 or 8 are good!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Andy W
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My mother, 2 yr old daughter and I stayed from Friday - Monday. We arrived in Chatham via train and easily hired a taxi once finding it'd be too far to walk to the Ship and Trades. The staff is friendly and the hotel is well decorated. As other reviews have mentioned there is a pub attached. The menu is pretty standard pub grub and great prices. I live in Cheshire and was surprised to find the prices lower than my own local pub! I thought as London is so close the prices of the area would reflect, but simply not the case! The price of double room was also very competitive.
The room was clean and nicely decorated. It is understated, but still modern. It definitely reflects the areas nautical heritage, and not in a cheesy way.
Like the last review mentioned it was uncomfortably warm in the room as the windows are only tiny. The fan provided didn't give much relief as it was a tower fan which had seen better days.
The other issue I found was with the room being directly over the back door of the pub, so at 11:30 the first night (friday) the bottle bins were being emptied. So there were a few almighty crashes of glass bottles being dumped. I was already awake as I was so hot. Neither of these things were the fault of the hotel - they can't control this crazy hot summer we've had. If I were to stay again I'd make sure to request a room other than 4 because of the location above the back door. Other than that it was surprisingly quite even being above a busy local pub with tons of outdoor seating.
The staff was lovely as I said. Breakfast was provided, there's no need for me to restate what the other reviews have said. They had a nice variety so in the time we stayed I never had the same breakfast twice.

There is a CO-OP shop in the same block as the hotel and pub, as well as a little chippy. Having the shop so close was great as my little girl drinks milk like it's going out of fashion! Within short walking distance is an outlet shopping mall, a number of restaurants, a cinema and the Dicken's World attraction. All of which we took advantage of. There are bus stops outside of the shopping mall which went into Chatham town and Rochester.

Over all it was a pleasant stay. If I ever returned to the area I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Room 4 is above the pub back door so there was noise of bins being emptied as the windows were open.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at the Ship and Trades Hotel so we could visit The Historic Docklands reception. Small the greeting was very welcome, our room clean bathroom needs updating a pleasant view looking at the docks and boats, breakfast was hearty plenty of it very nice, busy pub we enjoyed our meal in the evening, then we had a lovely meal the next evening in the restaurant upstairs staff pleasant most enjoyable stay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edna54
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed there for one Saturday night in July as I was meeting friends for a birthday in the local area and I was pleasantly surprised!! The hotel was part of a busy bar and the room was a nice size for us. When I booked they only had twin beds left but that was OK as it we were only staying one night. We didn't have any of the bar food but it looked really nice and plenty of people were eating there which is always a good sign. They have a separate restaurant on the 1st floor where you can book to have evening meals and this is also where you have breakfast as well.
The room had tea & coffee making facilities and very soft towels plus toiletries and a small TV, all we needed for our one night stay. Nice hot, powerful shower too.
The full English breakfast was huge and very nice and freshly cooked. (It kept us going for the rest of the day!) There is a choice of cereals to start if you like, and then you have a choice of hot breakfasts. Tea and coffee which is regularly replenished too. And a lovely waitress who served us. Overall the hotel is clean, with nice people and good food and for the price what more do you want!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paddy40
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This hotel/pub is a really good use of one of the old dockyard buildings. Our room was nicely decorated with a nautical theme. It was clean as was the bathroom . The view was of the dock and apartments opposite. This was a problem as there was no privacy in the bedroom or bathroom unless blinds/curtains were closed. Because of the construction of the building, the room got very hot from the Sun and opening the tiny producers. windows did little to help. A fan had been provided but it was rather old, noisy and feeble.
We had dinner at the hotel. The restaurant is a pleasant room with nice views of the marina. The food was pub grub - nice but nothing out of the ordinary

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WH56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
The King Charles Hotel
#1 of 2 in Gillingham
St. George Hotel
#3 of 6 in Chatham
East End / East London
Sunborn London
Sunborn London
#150 of 1,072 in London

Been to Ship & Trades? Share your experiences!