“Heartily recommend”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Heartily recommend”
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Location: About 5 minutes walk from train station (at a reasonably brisk pace), on a main - but not overly busy -road so I felt quite safe getting there on foot even in the evening.

Reception: efficient and pleasant. Payment on checking in. No deposit required, simply paid for my stay on checking in. Nice selection of local tourist information leaflets.

Room: I had a single room on the 3rd floor (309 - easy for me to remember as K.309 is my favorite Mozart piano sonata but I digress). There is a speedy elevator that takes you right up there but the stairs are very manageable being only short flights, also the staircase & corridors are pleasant to walk through.

Room: very pleasant impression on entering. Fresh, clean, tidy, modern, & spacious enough. Furnishings are excellent. The furniture are excellent quality. Plenty of storage space. The carpet & soft furnishings are real nice. The bed was extremely comfortable & very cleanly made. The Philips wall mounted LCD tv screen was excellent with a clear, sharp picture. There was the usual tea & coffee tray, and the mini kettle was very clean (looked new, even, and a quality brand - Russell Hobbs).

The ensuite bathroom was a nice size & very clean. Toilet had a good strong flush. The shower was perfectly adequate & powerful enough; it is open plan with a shower curtain enclosure, which is no problem at all for me; the water did not - should not -get everywhere, in fact it was remarkably dry as the floor drained very efficiently.

My window had a nice view over the meandering river.

Breakfast: included in the room price. I opted for the full English breakfast, which I thought was cooked well & most satisfactory. I was also given a rack of toast slices which was plenty for me. The breakfast room & tables are very pleasant. The breakfast staff are best described as efficient.

Overall, I enjoyed my overnight stay and it is a place that I would be happy to stay for longer. I read the owner's comment in reply to a previous review that it is a 2 star hotel, but I would put it at 3 star standard easily. It certainly is as good or better than some 3 star-rated hotels that I've stayed. Trying to find a decent place to stay, especially in SE England where high demand means a lot of places don't make any effort, can be a bit of a minefield, but I can - based on my experience - heartily recommend the St George Hotel as a very decent place to stay at a very reasonable rate (£44 for my single room one night midweek stay). I would be very happy to stay there again next time I am in the Chatham/Rochester area.

rasfishfish, Manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2010
Many thanks we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
England
Reviewed 8 May 2010

We were made most welcome by the friendly staff, who were very professional in booking us in and showing us the amenities of the hotel. The room was very comfortable and clean with panoramic views over the Medway. We love our tea/coffee making facilities, which the room had. Evening meal was excellent quality and value, promptly serviced and piping hot. Breakfast was equally as good with friendly staff catering for all our needs. In a word brilliant and we will have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and will be using it again whenever we are in this part of the country.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
rasfishfish, Manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
many thanks we hope to see you again soon
Norfolk
Reviewed 6 May 2010

From booking in to departure, the hotel provided a smooth and professional approach and service. In addition to very reasonable rates for the location the hotel provides an excellent complementary range of cooked breakfast's and if required can provide a pack lunch for guests upon request. Rooms are of a very good clean standard with on suit, TV and ample complementary tea/coffee making facilities.
Many rooms have views over the busy River Medway and Chatham Historical Naval Dock Yards with the added advantage being within a very short walk to Rochester and the home and museum of Charles Dickens.
In summary a hotel well worth considering.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
rasfishfish, Manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
Many thanks for your comments and review
midlands
Reviewed 6 April 2010

Plus points.good rooftop parking though the barriers are so low, it's like an Alton Towers thrill ride going in.
Poor cleanliness in room, no extractor in toilet, breakfast too late for business traveller.
Helpful signs telling guests to close doors quietly, then they organise a disco that keeps you awake 'til 1:00am!! Then the staff spend the next hour clanking around with the empties!!
Breakfast poor quality, served in the lower bowels of the hotel, cheapest of the cheapest bacon, difficult to tell if it was orange juice or not..
Card number taken on phone booking, then taken again on arrival, then taken again when paying, receptionist had no idea of stay duration and asked for payment upon arrival!!
Almost impossible to turn right out of hotel onto busy A2. View from room appalling, the hotel was nearly empty yet we were not offered a view over the Medway during booking.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Fernleyfishes
rasfishfish, manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2010
Thank you for your review , we will act on any areas you have high lighted.
The car park has hight restrictions to prevent you damaging your car and a ramp most people seem able to navigate without any problems.
Extractor fan is fitted in toilet behind the vent.
Sunday breakfast is between 8.30 - 10 am which I think is quite reasonable, if you could not make breakfast a packed option is also available.
Disco finished at 12am not 1am and was turned down from 11pm to avoid disturbing guests.
I am sorry if staff made to much noise cleaning up i will look into this.
Breakfast is served on the lower ground floor, sorry if this upsets you going down stairs.
Breakfast is not of a poor quality and we dont use cheap bacon.
Card details are checked on arrival then again on departure to ensure they are correct, sorry if you felt this inconvienced you in any way.
All river view rooms were full.
Sorry if you could not turn right, again most people seem able to navigate this without to much trouble.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2010

This hotel was ideally situated for our visit to the Historic Dockyard Chatham which was about 5 minutes away by car. We paid for a superior room (Room 310) which lived up to expectations with a grand view of the Medway. The room was tastefully furnished with a modern bathroom and deep sunk bath. The huge bed would have made for a good night's sleep if there had not been a function downstairs, which pumped out loud music into the night. We had to ask downstairs when the music would finish and were told "11pm, could be 12pm". This is not good enough. When we get some sleep should not be in the hands of others deciding when the 18th birthday party will finish. All guests should be made aware if there is (or likely to be) a function downstairs which will cause noise disturbance. I would suggest if you are staying Friday or Saturday night, prepare for a late night.
P.S. Restaurant not open if there is a function on, which makes one think it is a function centre foremost, then a hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MagicFamily
rasfishfish, manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
Many thanks for your review, i am glad you enjoyed most of your stay.
All functions finish at 12am and I am sorry reception did not give you the correct time.
We close the restaurant on Fridays and Saturday as usually at least 90% of the residents in the Hotel will be attending the functions.
I do hope we see you again soon
Kind regards and thank you
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
The King Charles Hotel
Gordon House Hotel
Gordon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rochester
Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham

Been to St. George Hotel? Share your experiences!