“Fantastic day”
Review of Dickens World - CLOSED

Dickens World
More attraction details
Owner description: Dickens World The Grand Tour launched on 23rd March 2013. This is a new totally immersive, live 'Grand Tour'. Recreating a fantastical Dickensian World. Visitors can enjoy a journey of discovery as they join their unique tour guide and take a step back in time to the Dickensian England that Charles Dickens knew and wrote about in his novels and short stories.
“Fantastic day”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I visited dickins world yesterday for my birthday with my sister in law, my daughter Bethany and her 8 week old cousin. I was not expecting it to be very good as went a few years back and it was not good. However I was very impressed this time. The grand tour is a fantastic idea. We had a lovely lady called Clara (I think that was her name) take us on the tour and she was fantastic. She stayed in character the whole time and held the children's interest. She interacted with all the children and even went as far as to help people with buggies down the stairs one of which was us. Clara also posed for a photo at the end of the tour with my daughter and her baby cousin really making my daughters day. All in all a fantastic day out, I thought we would miss the boat ride but it I feel that the tour is 10 times better and dickins world no longer needs the boat ride to hold people's interest. FANTASTIC FUN FILLED THE EDUCATIONAL DAY. WELL DONE DICKINS WORLD BIG THUMBS UP.

1 Thank Amanda P

• Polish first
Kent, United Kingdom
“Loved it”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Me and my gf went to dickens world and loved how the victorians lived our guide lizzy fox was brilliant very funny lady..definitely recommend this to friends and family x

Kent
“A great way to spend a few hours”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Went here with my mum and 2 daughters, aged 7 & 11. I wasn't sure what to expect, even after reading the reviews on here,but there's only one way to find out, right? The reception area is quite small,and could do with something to give it a bit more sparkle,but that's probably me being picky(For the record, the staff are very nice)

Our guide came out and lead us upstairs to the main attraction. The guide, 'William Dorritt' is a real gem. Enthusiastic, cheerful, entertaining and an all round nice guy. He fit the part very well. Now, as uninteresting as the reception is, once inside, it really is a totally different world. The trick is to really let go with your imagination, they've done a great job in making it how i have always thought Victorian London would be, albeit missing the real smells and bustle of a vast and poor area of the city.

On to what my girls thought. The youngest wasn't too sure at first, but within about half an hour, she was really into it. The eldest loved it all the way through. They both had a good laugh at my expense as i ended up in Sweeney Todds' barbers chair(think it's because i was the only one with a beard!!) There is great audience participation which really does make for some good laughs. Oh, look at for 'William Dorritts twin', the headmaster at the boarding school....

I would say, for the price, it's a bargain and a great way to spend a few hours. The time flies by, I could have quite happily done the whole tour again straight away. The only downside,the reception, not much happening there, but maybe in time. Who knows?

London
“Great time for all ages”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were a family of 6 ages ranging from 5 - 56. Everyone enjoyed it extremely. Our tour guide Clara was very passionate and informative making our trip lots of fun and educational all rolled into one. A great day out and fantastic value for money. Highly recommended.

Chester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyed Old London Towne thanks to Bill”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

It was a scorcher of a day so I was sweating buckets, I also had my 2 year old daughter with me. Despite those possible challenges the tour was interesting and fun! Credit to Mr William Dorrit, half of our group were German speakers some of whom didn't seem to speak much English - he held everyone's attention. I was fascinated, I've never experienced a tour in a setting. Besides a few dodgy mannequins I was very impressed by the buildings and set dressings.
Mr Dorrit was very knowledgeable beyond the scripted material.
I have to wonder why no 3D glasses were offered for the little film about Charles Dickens as it appeared to be shot in 3D.
It was a gift to my mother to attend. I was forced to read Dickens in school so I have never been interested in his writing. Thanks to Bill I was inspired to *gasp* buy a copy of The Old Curiosity Shop! That's good going I'd say!
I agree with another reviewer that the gift shop was quite sparse, I would have happily purchased trinkets and whatever else! I have a real weakness for gift shops! I was thrilled with the low price of the book though.
If I'm ever in the area again, and it's winter, I'll be back! I feel really sorry for the guides in full costume in that heat all day!

1 Thank Feliciawoo