“FANTASTIC! The new management has transformed the place.”
Review of Dickens World - CLOSED

Dickens World
More attraction details
Owner description: Dickens World The Grand Tour launched on 23rd March 2013. This is a new totally immersive, live 'Grand Tour'. Recreating a fantastical Dickensian World. Visitors can enjoy a journey of discovery as they join their unique tour guide and take a step back in time to the Dickensian England that Charles Dickens knew and wrote about in his novels and short stories.
Chatham, United Kingdom
“FANTASTIC! The new management has transformed the place.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I visited a few years back and found It an absolutely dire experience.
I recently visited again with my two daughters and my 82 year-old father. Everyone enjoyed every single moment. Our guide 'George Snow' was amazing at staying in character, being enthusiastic, including the children, and answered unexpected questions from the kids like a real expert.
At £7.50 per ticket, you get so much for your money! However, there are a few steps in the haunted house at the end of the tour, and there is no lift for that part which means wheelchair users will miss out on the final part of the tour, and push chair users will need to carry it up the stairs (though the tour guides are so helpful in helping lift buggys).

The games of tin can alley and bucketball in the courtyard were a nice final touch - the girls didn't stop laughing at the wit of Oliver who runs the stalls. Hilarious, friendly and great with the kids. Though I do think the stall was a final money-grab on behalf of the managers, since the prizes were clearly old stock which could be purchased in the gift shop for the same price as playing the games!
In short then, fantastically educational and really good fun. I would come again. The actors are all wonderful. But the people in charge really need to invest more money in proper gift shop stock.

Visited July 2014

• Polish first
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent trip - well worth the money”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We have just come back from holiday and one of the highlights had to be Dickins world. Although not the best signposted of places, and a little sparce in the reception area (could maybe do with having a range of Dickins' books?) the tour itself was very well done. Our tour guide was William Dorrit and it is one of those tours where it is down to the guide to make it and he really excelled himself. He was an excellent guide and made the place come alive with his wit , knowledge and his ability to stay in character . He was also extremely good with the kids and involved them as much as possible, which as a lot of parents know is the difference between a good and bad outing. The 90 minute tour was over before we knew it, it was well timed as did not seem rushed but at the same time there was no feeling of the tour dragging.
I would recommend this whole heartedly, my children are now keen to look into the stories and I imagine we will be back!

2 Thank Danny G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A different world”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I would agree with other reviewers, the building is not what it seems from the outside which looks like a boring shopping centre, the reception area and poor gift shop are very uninviting but inside you are transported back in time, using your own imagination and with the knowledgeable and very friendly staff we had a lovely couple of hours. The film certainly appears 3D and we were not offered glasses so assume it does not work, on talking to staff there do appear to be money constraints as with most things these days and this has probably had an effect on the attraction - another review said there was originally also a boat ride, dressing up seemed to be available for children but was not well advertised, and it may be staff shortages influenced this, or possibly only there for school groups, however this did not interfere with our enjoyment, as the rest of the theme was better than some others we have been to, definitely one of the best things was the staff, a refreshing change from London, friendly, chatty, knowledgeable and able to sustain and engage the attention of the audience both children and adults which is very difficult, went to the restaurant upstairs and were given personal attention and when my choice of food was not available the waiter offered to ask the chef to make something for me, I declined but it was a nice touch. I hope that Dickens world finds money to fix the 3D and make a better gift shop which would both aid funding and improve what is a worthwhile attraction, we will be back.

“Fantastic day”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I visited dickins world yesterday for my birthday with my sister in law, my daughter Bethany and her 8 week old cousin. I was not expecting it to be very good as went a few years back and it was not good. However I was very impressed this time. The grand tour is a fantastic idea. We had a lovely lady called Clara (I think that was her name) take us on the tour and she was fantastic. She stayed in character the whole time and held the children's interest. She interacted with all the children and even went as far as to help people with buggies down the stairs one of which was us. Clara also posed for a photo at the end of the tour with my daughter and her baby cousin really making my daughters day. All in all a fantastic day out, I thought we would miss the boat ride but it I feel that the tour is 10 times better and dickins world no longer needs the boat ride to hold people's interest. FANTASTIC FUN FILLED THE EDUCATIONAL DAY. WELL DONE DICKINS WORLD BIG THUMBS UP.

1 Thank Amanda P
Kent, United Kingdom
“Loved it”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Me and my gf went to dickens world and loved how the victorians lived our guide lizzy fox was brilliant very funny lady..definitely recommend this to friends and family x