“The food sounded nice but...”

Squires Restaurant at Bridgewood Manor
Ranked #33 of 130 Restaurants in Chatham
Price range: US$24 - US$41
Cuisines: British, European, Grill
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“The food sounded nice but...”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Visiting the Bridgewood Manor on the 2nd January 2014 as an extended family of 7, meeting up for a 'late-lunch'. Although I am unable to rate the hotel itself (it does sound lovely!) or the quality of the food itself (explained later) I can certainly rate the service - poor.

When arriving, we were seated on several large, comfortable chairs positioned around a small table (it would have been a bit awkward to eat on there). The staff were friendly enough and gave us all some menus. We ordered some drinks - and were disappointed to say the least. Two of us asked for a mix of OJ and lemonade, but instead received OJ mixed with what tasted like carbonated water. When asking the waiter politely to return the item and give us another drink mentioning that it tasted like 'carbonated water', the waiter then replied: 'I know, sorry about that. I'll take it back straight away. This was far under our expectations.

We then ordered the (fairly expensive) food, which did sound lovely. Although I am unable to state exactly what all of us ordered, I can remember one of the items - a BLT something-or-other for two people. Everyone else ordered other items from the menu.

The waiter arrived back to the table about 10 minutes later to tell us that there was none of one of the things we had ordered.

Fifty minutes later, we were told that now BLT 'things' were available. We were anxious to eat, and therefore ordered something else from the menu, hoping that it would arrive promptly.

Around 20 minutes later, some servings of chips that had been ordered with some of the meals had arrived - but were served at completely different times and they were absolutely stone cold. After this, we decided that we should leave. We did not eat our chips, and we complained to the manager - because...

1. The waiter did not know what was available, and only told us what was a long way through the meal.

2. Our drinks tasted of carbonated water.

3. We had waited long enough - it was like the main dishes were simply not going to arrive.

The manager spoke to us, gave us a rather unprofessional reply and mentioned that they would be glad to see you again, and that they were sorry that this had happened. Considering how long we had waited, as well as the inconvenience we had experience, it would have been nice to have been given a gesture of good will (giving us the drinks for free) but this didn't happen.

Most of the staff were friendly and the food sounded nice, but unfortunately the service was lackluster. I would therefore not be able to recommend this BAR-RESTAURANT.

-Coollegoguy4.

1 Thank SpeedbirdSky
Sven N, Manager at Squires Restaurant at Bridgewood Manor, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write in to us regarding your recent meal here at Bridgewood Manor Hotel

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you have given us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

We truly value the opinions of our customers and we strive to provide our guests with the best possible hospitality and service.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies about your dining experience, as this is not acceptable and by far no way a standard we promote.

Please don’t hesitate to contact myself personally so that you will consider dining with us again and I have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

My email address is bridgewoodmanorfandb@qhotels.co.uk

I look forward to your response

Kind regards

Food and Beverage Manager

essex
“great food”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The food was brilliant I had the best beef and ale pie I have ever tasted, good choices and not overly expensive

Visited January 2014
Sven N, Manager at Squires Restaurant at Bridgewood Manor, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Ginger 197

Thank you for wonderful feedback regarding the food.I have informed the chef and his team.Its always good to hear great feedback

Look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Kind regards

Food and Beverage Manager
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Average dinner”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Service was very slow and dishes arrived separately from one another. After the manager apologised, the matter was sorted out. Flavour of the meal was mediocre.

Visited December 2013
Sven N, Manager at Squires Restaurant at Bridgewood Manor, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Jianina A

I’d like to thank you firstly for taking time to comment on your recent visit.

It's disappointing to here you weren’t completely satisfied after dining in our Squires Restaurant.

I will review all of the comments and look into how we can resolve each issue,along with the Head Chef and my team

I hope you will choose to visit us again where I am more than confident we will surpass your expectations and more.

We hope to see you again and I wish you all the best.

Kind Regards

Rainham, United Kingdom
“Christmas Meal”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We went as a party of 24 for our Christmas meal and we were all very surprised at the quality and size of the servings.
The food was hot and plentiful I had pate and the salmon followed by profiteroles all very pleasant.
I had not eaten there previously but will revisit with my husband.

• Visited December 2013
Dear Pat H

Thank you! It's fantastic to hear you enjoyed your meal with us.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I have thanked the staff for contributing to an excellent night.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Squires Restaurant in the new year

Please dont forget to inquire about our loyalty card on your next visit

Kind Regards

“Lunch :-(”
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

What could be simpler than a ham sandwich on brown bread? Not something you could mess up easily. Surely? What I got was a sandwich between 2 extremely stale slices of white bread. Oh and the appetising ring of "honey roast" ham was more of the 'plastic' budget supermarket variety. A simple selection from the lunch menu - come on guys...

Dear Simo 200

We are very sorry to see the content of your review.

The feedback from our customers on TripAdvisor is very important to us as it helps us improve and it also helps potential customers know more about us.

We have a very good reputation of being able to deliver good food. I am shocked that your meal was unsatisfactory and unpleasing. This is not the general standard we provide.

Its a shame that we were not notified on the day of the meal as we as a standard always offer to compensate if our food or service is not satisfactory.

I would really appreciate it if you could email me more information so we can address this with our team, Thank you in advance.

I hope that you will consider dinning with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with what i am very confident of will be a superior experience.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly on bridgewoodmanorfandb@qhotels.co.uk