“Perfect, relaxing stay”

The Marquis at Alkham
Ranked #5 of 38 Dover B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 May 2011

My husband and I have just got back from spending our first wedding anniversary here and wanted to write a review due to the amazing experience we have had.

We booked one of their special offers called, 'Lazy Sunday' where 3 course sunday lunch, sparkling wine, wine with meal, and breakfast in bed the next morning is all included in the deal. The staff were well informed of the offer and perfectly discreetly reminded us of what was included whilst ordering wine for example.

Our sunday lunch experience was perfect. We felt very welcome to linger as long as we liked over our meal. They also had a close up magician circling the tables and entertaining the diners between courses. He was excellent and really entertaining. We appreciated how he left you alone whilst eating and talking as well. Perfect mix.

We stayed in the suite and it was beautiful, luxurious and so clean. Could have stayed in it forever. Large, deep bath mixed with heavy curtains and blackout blinds meant we slept heavily and awoke refreshed.

The service throughout our stay was constantly amazing. Nothing was too much trouble, from offering for one of the staff members to move their car so we could park more easily to bringing us an ice bucket to enjoy bubbly in the room as soon as we asked.

We're already trying to find the excuse to go again!

Room Tip: Book in advance and request the suite
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KentBride
There are newer reviews for The Marquis at Alkham

Reviewed 15 May 2011

Very pleasant stay with good food friendly staff and quiet location.We left something behind and someone phoned to let us know and then sent it by post at their expense- a kind gesture and unusual these days.I would definitely recommend for somewhere a bit different,not stuffy and not too expensive either.

Room Tip: ask for the large room at the front
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank janiceduckham
Reviewed 15 May 2011

This was my 4th visit (and my last) always had a very nice experience for dinner but last evening I noticed they have had a complete staff change since November last year, we were served by every single one of them last evening (all 5) not one taking ownership of our well being and it showed! The food was "ok" but plates were cold and "hot" food was just luke warm. we waited an age for the starter, the same for the main and 45mis! for the desert and when it finally came it was wrong, which led to another lengthy delay 3.5hrs in total...............sorry guys your loosing the plot!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chef19
MarquisBen, General Manager at The Marquis at Alkham, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

I am very disappointed to hear of your experience at the Marquis last week - I have been the Manager of the Marquis since its inception so naturally I am striving to ensure that our standards are maintained and improved at all times.

Your feedback is much appreciated, and we always take it on board & try to improve and iron out any problems we may have. I have discussed the problem with all of the staff present.

I do not feel it is appropriate to make any excuses and I can see that we did not do ourselves justice when you visited. I feel it would be a shame to lose loyal customers such as yourselves.

Please do contact me personally if there is anything you would like to discuss further.

In the future we are always happy to hear your feedback both good and bad as it is an important way of deciding how to evolve in to a better restaurant for our loyal customers.

Reviewed 18 March 2011

The Marquis is a beautiful place. The food served in the restaurant was gorgeous and the rooms are just as on their website, maybe a little small if I am being fanickity but they have the WOW factor, wonderful stay. Would stay there again if I am every in that neck of the woods. I cannot end this review without a mention of my breakfast, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, mouthwateringly delicious!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank specsma
Reviewed 13 March 2011

My husband and I had the most fabulous time at this hotel. Could not fault the service, room, location or food. The views from our room (Granby) were spectacular and both nights we ate at the hotel and found the cuisine to be exceptional. Its worth going for a walk around the village and visiting Dover Castle and the White Cliffs.We will definitely be returning some day.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HerbieLondon_UK
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Have just returned from a great stay at The Marquis. We stayed overnight and had the 6 course tasting menu with wine. Every course was delicious, the staff were happy to swap a course we didn't fancy and the wine was exceptional. The one comment I would make was that the meal was a little light on carbs, but I say this as someone who is marathon training and loves her carbs!! I have no doubt that if we had asked the staff wld have rustled something up for us.

The staff were really accommodating, for example, taking our dessert to our room was no trouble, neither was the (exceptional request) for breakfast to be served in bed. Also, I LOVED the English sparkling wine!

I definitely recommend.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AbsterLondon
Reviewed 20 February 2011

We stayed overnight for dbb. Very attractive setting and stylish well appointed room with lovely bathroom. Unfortunately against expectation of a gastronomic restaurant experence the food was extremely disappointing. The menu choice was limited to cheap cuts of meat and portion sizes were very small, the food was not unpleasant but fairly tasteless. On a three course menu priced at over £40 a head a £5 charge was placed on a scallop starter featuring three scallops. Service was friendly but seemed inexperienced and slow, we poured our own wine and we had to attract attention for dishes to be cleared for all three courses, further we were not asked whether we had enjoyed any dish. Breakfast can only be described as canteen food, not a good B and B, toast was cold, eggs and bacon were tasteless. There seemed to be an overall theme of cost cutting that ran through short measures of champagne, weak coffee, minute portions of cheese (£3 additional charge) and breakfast fruit that could not have been more thinly sliced. Sadly, at checkout there was still no enquiry as to whether we had enjoyed our very expensive stay.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kjb73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Ramada Dover
#1 of 1 in St Margaret's at Cliffe
Burlington Hotel
Burlington Hotel
#2 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to The Marquis at Alkham? Share your experiences!