We booked a night at the The Marquis at Alkham as a stopover on our way home from France. Our room was extremely comfortable, tastefully furnished, decorated and well equipped. Some nice toiletries were provided as well as a plentiful supply of tea, coffee and milk.
Our meal was as expected from the better reviews. From the delicious amuse bouches served with our pre-dinner drinks to a light fluffy soufflé at the end, all was tasty and well presented with relaxed but attentive service. We went for the matched wine option which we found well-judged and a great accompaniment to a lovely meal.
Unfortunately, after midnight a situation arose that I am certain would be unusual for this level of establishment. Without going into gory detail, we were awoken after midnight by a great deal of shouting, swearing in and outside the next door room and loud banging of doors and upon them. After some time we were about to call reception when one of the offending guests who was boorishly drunk deliberately smashed a fire alarm. Needless to say, this resulted in major disruption and the on call general manager was called. Once the immediate situation was under control we were offered an alternative room at the other end of the hotel. Profuse apologies from the staff the next morning were accompanied by the award of a generous discount on our total bill without any prompting from us. When we arrived home, there was a telephone message saying that the staff had also noticed an error in our bill and that they had corrected it. Another minor issue was also sorted out without fuss. In an era in which the common practice seems to be to deny everything and offer little or no reparation, this was all truly welcome. Although the situation was not of the hotel's making, the manager and staff went out of their way to make a difficult situation more bearable in a way that was more than acceptable. When things go awry, you could not ask for more than this.
As stated, I am convinced that this incident was a one off. Consequently, we will have no hesitation in using the hotel again for similar trips.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come on in. Take a look around. You might just be surprised. For while the Alkham Valley, indeed Alkham village itself, suggests genteel old England at its most rural and unspoiled, the Marquis itself is something else... It's a strikingly contemporary restaurant and hotel. The product of a major renovation in 2008, what was once the village's pub, The Marquis of Granby, has been utterly transformed. Space, light, fine furnishings and beautiful fabrics and the opportunity to fine tune every detail hasn't been missed. The restaurant is a revelation. Head Chef Andrew King's seasonally inspired and locally sourced menus are as fresh as they are imaginative, and the elegant 21st century styling is exceptional. Queen sized pocket sprung beds are swathed in the finest cotton. Sumptuous fabrics dress windows and chairs. And an eclectic collection of art completes the mood, the mix and the personality that makes this place unique. Boutique chic in the heart of the English countryside? You've found it. You've arrived. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, LateRooms, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your The Marquis at Alkham reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Marquis At Alkham Hotel Dover
- The Marquis At Alkham Dover, Kent