“Retro greasy spoon with gritty atmosphere”

Dovorian Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 15 Coffee & Tea in Dover
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Not awful but not the best greasy spoon "caff". If going for price alone then great value although I would be happy spending half as much again and going for quality.

However I love the 1960's feel and the retro tiling and Formica. Service helpful and with a smile. Just don't go if you want a high quality food. However this would be missing the point as so inexpensive. Would have liked to give 3 and a half blobs but Tripadvisor has nothing between average and very good.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

A place just off the main street which has been with the present group since 1966 and existed in 1900 according to a photo on the wall. Inside seating for pairs, or four or more on wooden seats, or outside under a canopy. Out there you will see plenty of dock bound left hand drive lorries but the space is cordoned off from passing pedestrians. Four menus available, the children's one costing £4.20 for a main course plus fruit shoot or milkshake, I had 3 sausages and mash with a choice or garden peas or beans, and a boat of gravy. Hot sweets are between £2.90 and £3.50 such as rhubarb and apple crumble with cream, ice cream or custard. Apart from the usual soft drinks and beverages they are fully licensed and an array of Kissing tree drinks were in a cabinet. Pleasant staff and rapid service made me ask why I'd overlooked them so long..

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We frequent the Dovorian regularly and find the Management and staff extremely friendly and professional and will go out of their way to accommodate all customers wishes, we had some members of our family down for the weekend so there was a large group of us, the service was great, the drinks came first and then the food which arrived all together and was very enjoyable. We would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have in the past visited regularly, however todays visit was my last. I brought my 10 year old son for lunch (as we do every Thursday). We ordered our drinks and food, and the staff were very accommodating; we received our drinks in good time. My son; who is autistic; has certain 'stims' that help him to cope in stressful situations (he often bounces, rocks, makes sounds and flaps his arms). His tea had a little too much milk in it so in an effort to improve his social skills I told him if he would like it changed he could ask the waitress, which he did (a big achievement for him!) and the waitress was brilliant, and brought him a cup of tea with a little less milk. He then began his bouncing, and making his noises (we live with this every day but I am aware that some people may be annoyed by a loud child) so I was just about to ask him if he would like to go outside for a while (so his 'stims' did not upset the other customers and he could have some time to regulate his behavious) when another customer sat a table across from us shouted (loudly) at my son saying "OI YOU! SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!" I sat in disbelief as I calmly asked this customer if he was speaking to my son (who at this point was terrified, close to tears and had a look of utter confusion on his face). The insolent, discriminatory customer said "yeah I am! Why does he have to jump? Why can't he sit like a normal person?" to which I responded "he is autistic, and you don't speak to someone elses child in that tone ever anyway!" My very distressed autistic child was by this point unable to cope anymore, and knowing that we were heading for a total meltdown I suggested we leave and eat lunch elsewhere. I went to the counter to cancel our food order and pay for the drinks (although we hadn't drunk them). When I told the member of staff at the counter (Dee) what had happened he was very accommodating and apologized, however the manageress then made her appearance and informed me that my food was cooked so we would have to stay and eat it, or pay for it. I reiterated what had happened and she responded with "if you don't pay for the food then we will not serve you in here again". I simply looked on in disbelief that we were being discriminated against because my son is disabled and I wasn't willing to pay for the food which we had not even been served! Obviously I will not be returning to this establishment (we wouldn't be welcome even if we did) and I would most certainly advise anyone considering visiting here to try somewhere else instead. The food is okay but nothing amazing, the staff are good (couldn't fault them) but the manageress is rude, discriminatory and I have been left feeling angry, upset and taken aback that in the 21st century people can still be so narrow minded and prejudiced. Avoid at all costs! nb. Should also mention the fungus growing around the sink in the ladies is also rather off putting, but was, in fact one reason my son liked going to this cafe (he is fascinated by different fungus!).

4  Thank SarahJaneAllen27
macaris2014, Owner at Dovorian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

I am very sorry you had this experience on one of your regular visits to our restaurant.
I am appalled that your son was shouted at in this manner by a customer we assure you that we do not tolerate this behaviour in our establishment and we understand your frustration on this occasion. The manager in charge at this time was not notified and unaware of your distress following your encounter. we assure you that we would not charge you for food you had not yet received, we are saddened to hear you no longer wish to return to The Dovorian. As a regular customer we would welcome you and your son back for a complimentary meal for the distress you have experienced, with the great service and food you have become accustomed to.

following your allegation concerning the ladies toilet we can reassure you that what you observed was not fungus but merely wear and tear of paintwork, now this has been brought to my attention this will rectified immediately. We take great care in our high standard in hygiene.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Fish and chips was great well cooked good staff great service at a good price. Parking was an issue but we'll worth the walk.