“Groupon deal”

Ranked #8 of 175 Restaurants in Dover
Price range: US$20 - US$74
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus stop situated directly outside the Marquis. Service no. 91. Nearest train station : Temple Ewell ( Dover - London Victoria line) Please call for preferred taxi services.
Description: We hope you're feeling hungry... Look forward to robust, fresh flavors served with imagination and flair in east Kent's newest contemporary restaurant. Our Head Chef presides over heavenly menus that change regularly and use locally caught fish and locally sourced produce. The wine, beer and drinks list is also top notch. Old school... New World... Kent wines from Kent vineyards... Local real ales... Great taste is everything at the Marquis.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Lovely food but atmosphere a little stuffy.
Good service but it seemed slightly frowned upon when staff chatted to us.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a really excellent lunch, all of us were delighted. The food was exceptional and good value. The staff could not have been more efficient or kinder. We only had one hour for lunch due to having to attend a funeral and the chef made sure we had a full lunch and everyone went out of their way to be helpful. A real surprise and would not hesitate in recommending this restaurant

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Have eaten here several times - afternoon tea, lunch, Sunday roast and taster menus - all exceptional in quality and variety (especially egg and soldiers - made us smile!l. Always welcomed and nothing too much trouble, very friendly from reception to waiters. Took up overnight special offer and cannot fault the whole experience. Felt very looked after - thanks to all, hope to be back soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

From the moment we arrived the staff were very friendly and accommodating. They poured our drinks promptly and we were shown to our table. The layout and ambience is relaxed and we immediately chilled out.

The menu was a pleasure to read, and when the food arrived it looked and tasted divine. Each course was describedin detail by our waiter before we ate. The wine list was extensive, as well as available cocktails and alcohol free beverages.

Overall we had a stunning evening, and left feeling completely satisfied.

It was a real treat, and one which we shall repeat in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I really don't want to denegrate this rather lovely restaurant but gIven that we were told they hope to attain a Michelin star then consistency and other elements need to change.

The settings are gorgeous. The building is charming and the staff very welcoming and professional.

The menu reads beautifully and offers wonderfully different herb and embellishment items that are locally foraged. It is quintessentially British. Clearly the best on offer for value are either the 4 or 6 course tasting menus.

However, they were too large for our needs last night so we went a la carte. Sadly our meals were mediocre and worse, I faced one of my gastronomic no-no's ..... they reached the table cold.

We both started with the lobster courgette flowers with a lobster sauce, cherry tomatoes and a foraged herb. To be honest the mousse stuffing was far to dense - it needed to be lighter. The slice of lobster on top was necessary only to justify the price of £14 - but if it had to be there it should not be impossible to cut. Overcooked and rubbery. The sauce was much too thin and watery and the dish underseasoned.

My husband chose the a la carte Dexter Rib Eye. The Chef kindly offered me the tasting menu dish of Dexter Fillet steak (for an additional £6 as the portion would be larger) - it was served with the current trendy side of ox-tail shepherds pie (which I really don't get, but there you go).

We waited an age for the mains which arrived looking pretty as a picture (my images illustrate). But they did not deliver on flavour or seasoning at all, the jus were thin and without depth, and my dish was cold.

I didn't send it back because it was getting very late and I was not going to wait another 20 minutes for a replacement dish.

I fear that the timings in the kitchen must suffer in getting out both the 4 and 6 course tasting menus (which have completely different dishes on them). I don't see the sense in that at all. Surely both menus should be identical, with the 6 courser offering 2 additional options? This has to impact on the a la carte diners and it is not acceptable.

Add to that we were told the Chef was leaving that night and a new chef starting the following day. I would like to think that Chef would have been far too professional to let that interfere with the food, but my eating experience tells me otherwise.

The petit fours served with coffee were delicious. But they are pre-prepared so should be.

I disagree that the wine list is high grade. It is average. We sent one bottle of red back - too young, no depth, too many tannins. The 2nd we drank but it was no better than a table wine.

Clearly this eatery is well respected and we probably had a bad night. But at this level, bad nights should not exist.