“you get what you pay for, and then some”
Review of Blakes of Dover

Blakes of Dover
Blakes of Dover
Ranked #24 of 38 Dover B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We picked Blakes for the price and location. Sadly, we did not get a decent sleep when we stayed there. The boiler in our room was so noisy that every time someone uses the loo, there was a piercing noise filling our room. The bed was so bad that my husband and I were forced to roll right in the middle of the bed (romantic...right). So, you can imagine how annoying it was at 5am with the boiler going off, waking up a couple of hours later with a sore back and not enough sleep. Complementary tea/coffee was a nice touch, only that the heating coil in the water jug was all rusty. There was scaffolding covering our view of...nothing really. So, we shouldn't have minded scaffolding as our scenery. I don't understand what kind of B&B wouldn't ensure that their guests have a decent night's rest by testing that the facilities were up to scratch (noisy boiler, crap bed, rusty water jug). The staff are quite friendly, yes, but you can hardly stand upright in the basement pub.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StumpyLegs
There are newer reviews for Blakes of Dover

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Our stay here didn't get off to the best of starts: 'you're early', we were advised by the owner on arrival, 'I'm not ready for you yet.' And this after a five hour drive down from the Midlands on the day after 'the big snowfall'. We'd been asked to suggest an arrival time and had taken a stab at 6 pm, not thinking it too important. But arriving at 5 pm had put the owner out, it seemed.

Things improved after that. The room was clean and tidy, with an extremely comfortable bed. Orange juice, bottled water and biscuits were provided, which was a nice touch. And it was warm, which with freezing weather outside was most welcome. A downside for some might be the lack of a wardrobe and chest of drawers, with just a hanging rail for clothes storage. For those 'just passing through' like us it made no difference.

We couldn't sample the breakfast, as we were on an early ferry the next day. Nor can I report on the bar - this was shut on Sunday evenings. We'd been so advised when the owner rang to check our booking [and arrival time!] a few days earlier, which had annoyed me considerably. The fact that the bar was CAMRA-recommended etc had been a major factor in deciding to book at Blakes. But it was my own fault - the website does indeed point out the limited opening on Sundays, which was when we arrived. Caveat booker...

Recommended for anyone looking for a cheap overnight stay, but the owner might want to reread his customer care handbook.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ericonabike
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My wife and I stayed one night in Blakes after returning fromm France. We were very happy with our short stay, our hosts were very welcoming and advised us of the best fish and chippery in town (they were right) and the breakfast we had in the morning was hands down the best breakfast we've had at any hotel, anywhere in the world. I note in other reviews that people have complained of noise, but we did not notice this. Our sole complaint would be that because we stayed on a Sunday night, the attached alehouse was closed. But then that just gives us an excuse to go back and stay again!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Brendanandmerrisa
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The owners were very nice. Free internet. TV. You do (or I did) have to climb stairs but the owner carried my bag. Easy walk to the center of town. You could hike to Doveer Castle from there but you need to be in great shape. It was quiet when I was there--a bit worried as they have a popular bar. You can walk from the bus station even pulling two bags. For the money it was nice. Breakfast is noit included but you can pay and they have a dining area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Blake's is an older hotel but is well-maintained and clean. We had a room on the second floor which boasted high ceilings. free wireless internet and large windows. They offer a full English breakfast if you order in advance and it will leave you...well, full!
Ww thoroughly enjoyed the Pub downstairs and joining in the banter with the locals. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go and it is close to the cruise port, although you will still need a taxi.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sylvie003
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I think the hotel was good. The room was spacious and comfortable. There were 4 of us staying in a family room, 4 adults. The room was enough big for four adults. The ceiling is high so it feels big.
The only problem is the location. Our room faced a very busy street, if you sleep the window open then you can hear all the seagulls flying nearby and all the cars passing by. What is worse is the drunk people's fight in the middle of the night. They shout, fight, laugh and etc. Basically they do their best to ruin your sleep. The noise problem is the only serious problem at this place. If you keep your window shut and bring some ear plugs with you, there is no other problem.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 December 2009

Arrived on a Saturday for one night before joining a cruise ship. Double room, single occupancy. My children recommended the place. The hotel door was locked when I arrived about 5pm but a sign directed me to the basement which housed a busy pub bar. A friendly local phoned the landlord who turned up eventually and checked me in. I was taken to a room on the first floor (no lift) and the landlord helped with my bags. The furnishings and shower were a bit dated but the room was clean and comfortable with a big bed, tea making and biscuits. The bar was welcoming and for early doors aperitifs I settled down with my Telegraph crossword and sampled some of its real ale (Everard’s Beacon, a porter called Dog-something, and a bitter brewed in Sussex would you believe), all excellent. The very pleasant landlady turned up for her evening shift; she also does the Telegraph crossword. Next door is a popular Italian restaurant but it was full at 7pm when I wanted to eat (book early), so as it was pouring down I opted for the neighbouring chip shop (very good). The landlord said I could bring my fish, chips and mushy peas back to the bar, which I did, and he then provided me with a clean plate, knife, fork, serviette, salt and vinegar. What service! The house red, which I think was a Chilean merlot was also excellent. Amazingly I slept like a log. They don’t serve breakfast on a Sunday morning but a short wander into town found a Witherspoons which served a full English for less than four quid! All-in-all a great start to my holiday. Would I stay there again? Definitely!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo