“Not as good as reviews suggest”
Review of Good Luck Chinese Restaurant - CLOSED

Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Description: THIS ESTABLISHMENT IS CLOSED PERMANENTLY & CEASED TRADING. We thank you all for your loyalty, friendship and for dining with us over the years. We wish you all good health and the very best. Good Luck Chinese Restaurant
Swineshead, United Kingdom
“Not as good as reviews suggest”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I visited the Good Luck Chinese after reading all the praise on TA.
My visit certainly did not match up to the expectation. On the Saturday night of my visit the restaurant was empty, but as it was late I gave the place the benefit of the doubt.
The food was mediocre chinese food. All members of the group agreed that it wasn't worthy of all the praise.
I suspect our dishes had been prepared and reheated because of the speed at which all the dishes were prepared and the fact that none of the dishes were particularly hot through.
The waitresses were very polite and the service we received was pretty good.
I wouldn't return to this chinese due to the fact I have had much better chinese food elsewhere.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank scottlou
Good Luck C, General Manager at Good Luck Chinese Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for taking your time to provide your feedback.

We regret that your experience was not a positive one, therefore we would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your dining experience with our management.

When you have a free moment we would like further details i.e. day of visit, time of visit, the dishes that you have expressed in your feedback as negative and staff member(s) that you had spoken to in order to assess service quality at the time your visited to take this investigation further.

Kind regards

Boston, United Kingdom
“I've had better”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

A group of us paid a visit to this Chinese after leaving the ferry port quite late at night. We had a long drive ahead of us in the early hours of the morning, and wanted to have a decent meal before hitting the road. We'd read up on a few Chinese takeaways in Dover and the surrounding area, and we noted down the positive reviews and ratings that Good Luck had received.

The staff were friendly enough, and the prices not too unreasonable. Unlike some of the other reviewers though, I don't think I'd stretch to Good Luck providing 'the best Chinese ever'. Unfortunately, the food for me was mediocre at best. The speed at which the four separate dishes were delivered to our table smacked of having been microwaved dishes that had been prepared for the earlier peak times, and some items were not heated through thoroughly.

The decor was somewhat dated and a slight fusty smell was present throughout the restaurant. I'm sorry to say that I doubt I'd return here in a hurry, which is a shame because the service was good and the staff seemed friendly and helpful. The food, decor and atmosphere lets this place down.

• Visited March 2014
Good Luck C, General Manager at Good Luck Chinese Restaurant, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking your time to provide your feedback.

If you have a free moment we would like further details i.e. day of visit, time of visit, the dish that you have expressed in your feedback as negative and staff member(s) that you had spoken to in order to assess service quality at the time your visited to take this investigation further.

All feedback provided are monitored and taken seriously to ensure that we are able improve our services and achieve the highest customer satisfaction. As a food service provider, we guarantee that all our dishes are cook from fresh ingredients.

Kind regards
Dover, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for! Amazing food!”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Best food, and friendliest staff in Dover!
This place has been going for many years but they are simply the best!

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Ryan J
Deal
“Saved best until last”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This is a modest unpretentious Chinese restaurant on a busy road just out of Dover town centre. With a cosy alcove the Good Luck seats around 46. Other diners seemed like locals. There is a £7 lunch menu for 3 courses including tea or coffee. Unusually some of the choice A to I combine dishes, which is great if you like sweet and sour pork, egg fried rice and chicken chow mein with bamboo shoots.. Starters are chicken and sweetcorn soup or juice. The full menu is also available. Service was leisurely but friendly and other diners were all spoken to. Closing day here is Wednesday they told me, but I am happy to return. Do not expect expensive décor or ritzy furniture, but that would be out of place in most of Dover. There are two competitor Chinese restaurants but I thought the food here the best in details like rice that did not clog together.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank Martin T
“Such good value”
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Came here for the £7 lunch deal and wow it was really excellent soup or juice starter choice of 9 mains and tea or coffee. I had juice followed by fried rice sweet and sour chicken with beef and mixed veg hubby had juice chicken omelette ( all breast meat) and chips really tasty definitely would come again. Yes it looks a bit run down but staff amazing as is the food

• Visited January 2014