“Dover Marina & Spa Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Dover Marina Hotel & Spa

BEST WESTERN PLUS Dover Marina Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Dover
Essex, United Kingdom
“Dover Marina & Spa Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Me and my husband stayed here for a 2 night break and it was really relaxing. The breakfast was great. The hotel was very clean and the staff was very friendly. My only problem there were works being carried out across the road from our hotel room which caused a lot of noise from time to time but otherwise it was a great break.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Polish first
Epsom, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Staff very helpful and pleasant,but there was no organisation in the dining room.Dinner 7pm,but with only one type of meal coming out at a time,very slow.Staff had no idea where the food was meant for, hence kept being asked by different staff if we wanted the dish,even though a menu was filled in at breakfast.The food, when it arrived, was very good, and good choice of menu.The second night there was a birthday party,and all other guests,including our party, were moved out of dining room to another room with long tables, making it difficult for the less able guests to get in and out.The staff had further to walk from the kitchen with the food,so again had a long wait.On last night it was 8.30pm before the tea and coffee finally arrived.
The room wasnt very clean, with tea having been dripped on skirting boards by previous guests and not cleaned off,also dust.Good view of harbour from room.I have stayed at Best Western Hotels before and I must say I was disappointed with this one.The situation was very good,being just across the road from the harbour,and Marina at the back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Irene418
Epsom, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel but the toilet was dirty, the bath had smears of blood on it and the windows were in a poor state of repair. The plumbing is spectacularly noisy! My room was not as shown in the publicity, small and with a slopping floor. I am sure there are rooms with views of the sea, I got a view of the car park.

I also had difficulty with my booking in the hotel restaurant, having booked a sea view table at 5, when I arrived for my meal at 7, I was told that there were no sea view tables available. In the whole time I sat there, at no point were all the tables occupied. The restaurant food was nice but the waitress was condescending to the point of being supercilious. I did not eat at the hotel again.

There is a premier inn about 1/4 mile down the road. If I go to Dover again, I'll book in there. Basic but clean.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view you probably have to jump and down to get it!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
16 Thank Pat67920

Travellers are raving about these Dover hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Nice room pity about the loud noise made by pipes when emptying bath etc. group menu was ok, not sure about ordering at breakfast for evening meal. Good staff. Would have liked more storage space in room but it was ok. Felt hotel needs more signs on the stairs directing you to the floors and rooms. No sign on second floor. Telling you which way to go for higher floors. I did like the food especially the breakfasts. Would go there again

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Kidlington, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Staff are very friendly. Room was clean and good with lovely views of sea. We went there on a package, Not sure if it was because of the package(but looked like it was same for everyone) we did not have much choice for dinner, that was ok still. We got horrible tasting and portions suitable for an eight year old! There was some party and dinner was actually in suites of hotel not restaurant. Staff were new and obviously not trained as our table which we had booked earlier was given to other people and we had to take a table in middle of the room where lights were bright on us and this was romantic break with dinner package :)

Room Tip: Definitely stay specially if you have seafront rooms but eat somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sowjanya V
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I have given this four stars not because it's the height of luxury, but because it was excellent value for what it was and we had a very enjoyable time, so it met its objectives in every way! It would have had five were it not for a couple of very pernickety things I've mentioned at the end - if I could I'd give it 4.5.
My friend and I paid just £50 each for a girly weekend here, including a spa treatment of our choice. For this price we got a nice room with a sea view and a great night's sleep: the beds were really comfortable and there was no outside noise. The room was uncomfortably warm BUT we rang down to reception (at 1am, when we got back from our night out!) and they immediately brought a fan up for us. I was very impressed by this level of service. The breakfast was good with lots of choice and again a nice seat overlooking the sea. The spa treatment (we both had a facial) was excellent and we didn't feel we were short-changed in any way for getting it as part of a deal. The gym was quiet and well-equipped for a hotel gym, with a nice freestyle area as well as the usual machines. The hotel is well positioned for restaurants etc in town but also a short walk from the beautiful cliffs.
The only downsides are there is no pool (would be nice if you're going on a "spa weekend") and the service in the bar is agonisingly slow (a quick drink before dinner ended up with us practically downing our gins!) but in general it was great and just the refreshing weekend we were hoping for.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hatfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Its probably Dover`s best hotel, your welcomed with a great smile from reception and then into such lovely room with a sea view, personally i think the room was a good size. There`s every thing one needs in a hotel room tea and coffee making iron and ironing board writing desk yes it`s all there for you. The bar is just great for drinks and snacks that we so enjoyed and if you take breakfast your going to love there full English its all there. The Location is fanatic close to the ferry port close to the harbor and across the road from a lovely beach and croisette. I can tell you i will be returning back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends