“Nice hotel but diasappointed with lack of ramps for disabled people.”

Best Western Plus Dover Marina Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I took my daughter in today to celebrate her A level results and was shocked to find a disabled man struggling to get out of the front door with his walking trolley as there were steps going down and no ramp! A gentleman and myself helped him to get out of the door and escorted him down the steps.I went around to the rear door to see if there was one there, but alas only a revolving door and more steps. I was appalled by this,surely it is compulsory procedure to install a ramp?Other customers sitting outside were shocked by this also.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lyndy56
Write a ReviewReviews (1,259)

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Booked family room for short stay to see white cliffs before Chunnel trip. The room was tiny with two fold out beds crammed in. Couldn't move around bed and part of bathroom door covered by one bed. Although mot a warm day, the room was unbearably warm and the windows only oped a few inches. The room was outdated and bathroom very poor. There was noise from outside all night and a drainpipe right outside which was very noisy Probably the worst hotel I have stayed in.
The staff were terrible with the exception of Sian in the restaurant. She was very helpfull and pleasant to talk to and gain local knowledge.

The food in the restaurant was surprisingly good, although free as we waited over an hour before they realised they had forgotten us

To make things worse, the cost of the hotel is far higher than better hotels in major cities. Nearly £200 for two adults and child without breakfast is astronomical. It simply is not worth it.

I would recommend to stay at a travel inn which would be better and a third of price. Visit this hotel for meal only.

We will not be returning soon !!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WEVSI
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a great location, and is in a great period building, one if the oldest in Dover with a lot of history. It is great for a one night stop to catch the ferry. This hotel could be excellent, however the beds are not great, the showers are very weak, and the staff are not friendly. And the rooms get very hot on sunny days.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Oxfordmartyn
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here overnight prior to cruising. It's a four star hotel. Our small bedroom was at the back of the hotel so no seaview. It was VERY hot and we needed to keep the fan ( supplied in each room) on full settings overnight. We didn't have breakfast but our friends did and they said it was good.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret B
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have used this hotel several times because it is ideal for the ferry and has a good view of the harbour but we have always been disappointed. Our last stay is definitely our last stay. They were informed that Wendy is in a wheelchair so they give us the smallest room which is impossible to get around in a wheelchair, the shower has no means for her to sit to have a shower. Entering and leaving the hotel by wheelchair is a nightmare. There are steps at the front which I can manage, but the automatic door closed on me and if other guests hadn't rushed to help we would have been in trouble. There is a metal ramp at the rear but the door is kept locked with no means of contacting reception to say you require access. This entrance is also used for deliveries so you find your way blocked when these are taking place.
Very unimpressed by the breakfast, £10 each for food kept under lights or on burners, so rubber eggs, dried slices of bacon stuck together and congealed beans all of which you have to serve yourself. Do as we did, it's only a short walk to Wetherspoons where you can get a freshly cooked breakfast delivered to your table for under half the price.
Now to add insult to injury, we were charged twice. On checking in the receptionist authorised my credit card, I explained I would be paying cash on leaving. When we came to leave I paid the bill in cash thinking that was the end of it, I then find out my credit card had also been charged. I then had problems getting my card reimbursed, it was only when they checked and found their takings were over by the exact amount on my bill did they agree reluctantly to repay me.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony A
Reviewed 8 August 2014

What a disappointment . We booked a balcony room with a great view onto Dover harbor . The room was dated but although very expensive would have been OK for one night . If at least the service would have been in line with the star rating . And from here on it went downward very quick . With all the carry in limitations almost every hotel carries at least tooth past . Not so this one . They run out of it at least that's what we have been told by the reception in the evening . The converter plug they gave us didn't work either and no other was available . But the next.morning they had some for sale !! I needed to charge my phone and has to purchase one from the 4 star hotel . And all of a sudden there was plenty of tooth paste available . 15 hours after we requested it several times. The reception stuff was rude and not helpful at all and I would not stay in this hotel again

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We spent 2 nights here in June, waiting to cruise on the Fred Olsen Line to the Scandanavian Fiords-real central for shops, walks along the beach and on the pier. The hotel was quaint with lots of character.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Ramada Dover
Premier Inn Dover East Hotel
The White Cliffs Hotel
The White Cliffs Hotel
#1 of 1 in St Margaret's at Cliffe

Been to Best Western Plus Dover Marina Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!