“Great Seaview”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Dover
SW, UK
“Great Seaview”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I was allocated a very small room with a single bed and a very small shower room in the corner. I must have stayed here on one of the warmest days of the year and the window only opened about 3 to 4 inches. It was so warm and at about 9pm I phoned reception begging for a fan to be brought to the room. A fan was provided and this improved things a little. The bedroom decor was tired and the shower room so small that I had to keep my wash bag in the bedroom and when I needed I used the toilet seat as a shelf. Breakfast the following morning was interesting..........very few guests eating at 8am and some very interesting breakfast choices. Liver and black pudding available but no fried eggs. Overalll a fairly comfortable stay but air conditioning would have been welcomed. I would stay again but I would know what to expect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank WhereU2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Polish first
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Waterfront so wonderful view. best decision was to take a room with a balcony as it was best to enjoy the beautiful weather and sights of the waterfront. multiple ferries in and out and a view of the cruise ship we took form that port. took a cab to the Dover castle and walked back. Hotel room, was upgraded to bridal room. very nice and the difference for the balcony was better seats and table in wicker as opposed to the other balconies which were metal. great size of room with French doors to balcony, also a large window. no air conditioning, but room had a fan. no safe and oddly enough only 1 bedside table. room beautifully furnished. breakfast was no included but we were able to purchase it, and it was quite good and we were nicely accommodated with special requests. the hotel bar was quite nice although service was slow at times especially for cleaning tables. hotel reception was fantastic, they have a terrific team behind the counter indeed. elevator very slow especially at check out time. bathroom amenities were basic but a great shower. only major issue with balcony is that the only room that has obstructed view is the bridal suite where the advertising banner runs the length of the balcony so you could not see the sea form sitting down, you had to be standing/ that was a shock and the main reason I only gave rating as very good as opposed to excellent/ WIFI hard to get on often/ bed felt more like a double, not as big as north American standards

Room Tip: caution with banner over balcony in bridal suite/ but do choose a room with a balcony, especially wi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jackiefrombrampton
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is our third time staying here, and everytime we do it's simply more amazing than the time before.

First, the staff...simply amazing people. I saw some new faces that replaced some of the few " less than pleasant" folks ( i.e., breakfast staff). My 4 year old still asks to go see 1 of the folks that works during breakfast ( name left out for their privacy). Very helpful when a family friend traveling with us took ill ( motion sick from a rough ferry crossing) and we needed to find a chemist close by.

Breakfast was excellent, and service times are a bit longer than at other places in the area...it's ok to have a slow, sleepy morning ( Important when traveling with kids!), you'll still make breakfast. Room is mostly clean ( Housekeeping always seems to skip 1 task and random- see below) and comfortable. TV, Internet and heating all work great.

My one and only complaint about the hotel remains the same..housekeeping! During a previous stay we had bits of broken glass spread out in the bathroom that we discovered with my daughter stepped on one. We were missing one drinking glass so I assume the previous occupants had broken it and housekeeping didn't clean up the bathroom floor. This time the bathroom floor was free of broken glass, but the bed sheets were full of biscuit crumbs, like the previous occupants ate in bed and the sheets were not changed. I do hope one day the issues with housekeeping will change...this hotel could easily be number 1 in Dover.

Room Tip: Top floors have the better views and get more of a seabreeze at night.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Gorring
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Our room number was 400, and it was incredibly hot and humid. The window couldn't open more than 30 degrees. We booked twin, but got triple. When we told the receptionist she was very helpful and said that an extra bed will be removed. We had lunch there and my husband was very happy, but my jacket potato was soggy and was brown in parts inside. Tuna feeling was not tasty. When I complained, the waiter offered something else, or they would not charged. I opted for the latter one. The staff was very friendly, however because of the humidity, and the room did not deliver what was shown on photos, and the food was of a bad standard I would not return, or recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Do not take a room on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth H

Travellers are raving about these Dover hotels

South Wales
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The room was sparkling, the sea view brilliant and the welcome warm.
Breakfast was great including cook-it-yourself waffles and a buffet with a wide choice.
Bar and food well up to standard.
Can't wait to stay here again.

Room Tip: Sea view means you can watch ferries come and go.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed here overnight at the end of July 2014 with friends before catching a cruise next day. Front desk was helpful, if at times overwhelmed and understaffed. Breakfast was included and was quite good. The room was very small; about 12x12 with a bathroom carved out in the corner. Bed was comfortable, but sleep was difficult due to the room temperature. We had to remove the duvet (!) from its sheet to get a covering for the bed. The room was too hot, no A/C. They will supply a fan, but the window will open only about 3 inches due to "health and safety regulations" Clearly in the UK people must be protected from jumping out of their hotel windows!!! I suggested placing protective bars on the the windows but "we can't do that as it is a "protected building" and we can't modify the outside". However we did notice that the rooms on the first floor (in UK that is the one above the ground floor) had windows that opened and people sitting on balconies. So it must be deemed by the "powers that be" that jumping off a first floor balcony was not too dangerous!
So with the window open about 3 inches and the fan going, the room did not cool down, but a pidgeon hopped in through the open window in the morning and woke me up by resting on my toes for a moment. I heard it hopping around in the room, sat up in bed at which point it flew into the window, dropped down on the sill and then hopped out. My wife was a basket case at this point.
I complained to the front desk and all they said was "yes that happens, they usually fly out again". No way to place screens on the windows as it is a "protected building". Obviously the building is more important than the guests.
A/C in the corridors might help but I got the impression that this hotel management was quite happy with the way things were and the features of the 80's and 90's were quite adequate for the 21st century.
It was outdated, outmoded, and not customer focused.

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor that open onto balconies might be better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jackwill
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I upgraded to a superior room with sea view to have a good start to our European adventure.
Advertised as a King size bed in a spacious room with balcony overlooking the sea,not the room we were assigned, a visit to reception after a short discussion with the receptionist, changed rooms to the one we should have had when we upgraded.
We reserved a table in the waterfront restaurant, and we enjoyed great food , with great service from all who attended us ,we would highly recommend the Waterfront restaurant even if you are not staying at the Hotel.
I cannot praise the restaurant staff enough for making our evening so enjoyable

Room Tip: A superior Double with sea view ( but make sure you insist that you have what you have paid for)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple