“Never Again!..........and Avoid room 4!”
Review of Beulah House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dover
Beulah House
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Dover
Derbyshire
“Never Again!..........and Avoid room 4!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here in July 2014 for one night. We were glad it wasn't any longer. We made our booking for a double room way back in February but on arrival in July we were greeted with these words 'I have one room left at the top of the house' so regardless of when you make your booking, rooms are given out on a first come first served basis. It was a lovely decorated house and The room at the top of the house was nicely presented, but was very tiny. Ideal for one but not for a couple and for my husband who is 6ft 2in the bed was far too short. We think it was a 3/4 bed and the quilt wasn't big enough for two either so we didn't sleep well. We went out for dinner to a lovely welcoming pub called the The Royal Oak and enjoyed a good meal. However, on return to the Beulah we decided that rather than drag up all those stairs again straight away we would sit in the residence lounge for 10mins, it's was 9.45pm and the res lounge was locked up for the night, very disappointing. We made our way up to bed and I tried to use the shower. We had been told on arrival by the owner that we couldn't use the bath as it was broken but the shower was broken too and there had been no mention of this! There was no way of getting the shower head to stay on the wall bracket so I had to shower while holding the shower head in my hand, the shower went from scolding hot to freezing cold all the time I was in there, it was a nightmare. The toilet hinges were broken off too and the toilet seat moved every time you sat on it. The toiletries had been half used by a previous guest so I threw them away. In the morning the breakfast room was beautifully presented but the breakfast ifself was very poor.....one egg, one sausage, one rasher of bacon, two mushrooms and two tomatoes, but extra toast if you wanted it. We told the owner about her broken shower etc and she said the room was going to be refurbished, from reading other reviews of this B&B it's what she had also told previous guests but we still paid full whack for a sub standard room. Conclusion.......did we feel welcome? NO! Did we feel rested and refreshed? NO! Would we stay here again? NO WAY!

Room Tip: Don't have room 4 it's too small with a horrible bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bikerbabe23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

After staying at several B&B across the UK Beulah was a bit of a disappointment. The location was excellent as far as being close to the port and several attractions however, climbing the staircase was difficult, the train was a bit of a disruption to sleep and parking was extremely tight and not easy to get in/out of. I believe there is a parking area down the hill a bit behind the b&b however we had folks unable to walk that far. The room was nice sized as was the shower and there was plenty of room for hanging clothes and luggage. We included breakfast and it was good but nothing special. Although the owner met us at check-in we didn't find her all that friendly. Rushed through the details, got her money, here's your key, spouted off a string of "don't do this....or it will cost you more" phrases and she was gone. Would consider a different option if visiting again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dCasualTraveler
Northwood
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I originally booked Beulah House because of a party being held up the road; the venue was changed but I didn't change my booking and wasn't disappointed. My room was small but had everything I needed for the few days I stayed - very comfortable double bed with lots of pillows and cushions, plenty of hanging space and drawers. Unfortunately the bath wasn't to be used and it took a little while to get used to the shower, the proprietor (Anita) told me the bathroom was due to be refurbished. She also asked me about other aspects of the room - a more usable mirror was my only comment as the huge mirror was partially covered by a chest of drawers. I was so glad to find the tower fan in the wardrobe as it was a very humid weekend, there is double glazing but even with the window open I could hardly hear the train line below. Breakfast was a small buffet followed by basic Full English which was well cooked. Anita and her staff were lovely. There is a small car park and the main road is busy, a regular bus service to Deal/Canterbury runs nearby. I will have no hesitation in recommending to anyone and may stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms are on two floors, I'm unfit and there are only stairs, I was on the top level. The older...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Legnano, Italy
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This B&B is placed in a beautiful Victorian House. Even we spent a good stay I was not completely satisfied because the bathroom was too small and the breakfast was a bit poor in terms of portions.
Nothing special!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iqipen
Shepperton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I generally enjoyed my stay at this B&B. I had a very comfortable double bed and the room was nicely decorated and very welcoming. It was very stuffy in the room due to the weather, so I was very grateful that a tower fan was provided.

I didn't have any trouble finding a parking space, though it was a bit creepy at night when walking around to the main entrance from the rear car park. More lighting would be helpful.

The wifi wasn't great, the signal was a bit up and down and often would not work at all for me.

On arrival I was told I couldn't have a bath due to plumbing problems. However, the shower was awful. There was nowhere to fix the shower head to, as it appeared to be broken. The water temperature was either cold or boiling hot which was extremely frustrating. This is the reason I only gave four stars. I'd been on an 18 mile walk and was really looking forward to a decent shower.

Breakfast was quite tasty, and although it was the perfect amount for me, for someone with a larger appetite, they'd be disappointed: 1 piece of bacon, 1 sausage, 1 egg, 2 cherry tomatoes and some mushrooms. Also, I wasn't asked what I wanted for breakfast and perhaps they should consider doing this, so people can get more of what they like and less of what they don't like. However, I enjoyed their selection of cereal and yoghurt.

I liked the added extras like shower gel, biscuits etc. and the house itself is lovely - though the room key took a lot of fiddling before I could open the door!

I would come back here again but I'd want a room with a working shower!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank DawnEast
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Beulah House is on the main road into Dover so it has really good access to all the main attractions. From the sea front it's a good 30minute walk so you might be inclined to drive and park in one of the main city car parks.

The B&B itself is a big Victorian house run by a lovely lady whose friendly, talkative nature makes you feel right at home.

The room was clean and comfortable although the double bed was a little on the small side. The decor was simple and bright making the room feel light and airy. The only complaint I really had was the bathroom which didn't match the standard of the rest of the house. The shower room was shabby and the shower wouldn't work unless you turned the hot top on in the sink first - to kick start the water heater. Once it was going though it was fine.

Breakfast was a little bit disappointing, the toast was aplenty but always cold and rather than swapping the other items of the English Breakfast for the things I wanted I was just left with one small egg and two rasher of bacon. Whilst the service was friendly and prompt I couldn't shake the feeling that food wise, I was only being given the bare minimum.

Beulah House is far enough from the centre to avoid all the noise but close enough to walk, they provide plenty information on where to eat and there's some limited on site parking. Overall this B&B is pretty good, its faults hold it back from being very good but these aren't substantial enough to stop me visiting again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank I_am_de_La_Condamine
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We booked this b+b as we were joining a group of classic cars from Kent on a trip to France on an early ferry. The owner was helpful. Our room (No5) was clean but be warned, the double bed was small but comfortable. They must be congratulated for managing to fit a shower, a loo and a tiny basin into the cupboard in the corner of the room - quite a feat! The trains start at 5ish in the morning and the noise is noticeable. The really annoying thing, though, is the blooming water pump which blares out like a siren every time someone in one of the adjoining rooms uses a tap. This place wasn't cheap either.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Best Western Plus Dover Marina Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Dover Central (Eastern Ferry Terminal) Hotel
Burlington Hotel
Burlington Hotel
#1 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to Beulah House? Share your experiences!