“Good location but tired”
Review of Loddington House

Loddington House
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The hotel couldn't be closer to Dover Port but as it's on the main road if you are in a room on the front then it's noisy most of the time, the area is very tired and run down as opposed to other parts along the front which are quieter and better presented. The private parking is just two spaces but there is parking outside in the road, however I was concerned about safety as there were people from the boats hanging around for lifts etc.

The entrance garden of the hotel was very overgrown and the hotel whilst adequate and clean was rather tired and old fashioned, more of a b and b than hotel. The person who greeted me was welcoming and pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Unfortunately, due to the location, within 200 metres of the largest passenger port in Europe, there is to be expected, an issue with traffic flow; we have secondary glazing, which eliminates some of the noise levels. We have parking for 3 cars in the front and a lock-up garage at the rear, also negotiated parking shared with another hotel, 2 doors along.

Yes, the property is old fashioned, it is grade 2 listed, built in 1836, it is well maintained, decoratively, during off season.

Regarding the garden it is not overgrown, as stated, this is a feature, not manicured, adds character.

There are newer reviews for Loddington House

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I stayed at the Loddington House Hotel for four nights as I explored, Dover, Kent and the southeast of England. I would rate this hotel very highly. The location is ideally located with the city centre, ferries or Dover Castle just minutes away by foot. The proprietor, Robert, is very friendly and especially helpful. He greeted me by name upon arrival, asked for my breakfast preferences and showed me to me room. Each morning, at the time I indicated I'd come down for breakfast, a bowl of fruit and glass of orange juice awaited me and Robert very soon appeared with my pot of tea and toast and a croissant. A "full on" English breakfast is also available. But I'm not one for heavy breakfasts.

My room was identified as a "cliff view" room. My side of the hotel faced the White Cliffs and from my window I could see some of the "windows" cut from the war time tunnels in the cliffs. It turns out that atop the cliff that my room faced is the Dover Castle. The room itself was clean, comfortable and well cared for. In-room tea and coffee were provided. The WiFi provide a strong signal and the TV offered quite an array of channels. To illustrate Robert's hospitality, during my stay, the regional TV authority made a the switch from analogue to digital which created havoc for over-the-air viewers. Robert made several visits to my room on the second floor to get the system running.

When I first arrived, I must admit that I was a bit freaked out. My SatNav (or GPS) had delivered me to 14 East Cliff. This is really a dingy backstreet. lthough the hotel's entrance from this side is very nice, some of the neighboring buildings don't put their "best foot forward" on this side. The image you'll see on the hotel web site is from the Marine Parade side of the building. So, if you arrive by car, when the SatNav says to exit left from Townwall Street, you'll see a fork in the road. Go to the right (Marine Parade) where the parking area is. Although this isn't the side from which you'll normally enter on foot, this is where you'll find the parking AND the first impression of the hotel is better than from the other side.

All in all, this is a very pleasant place to stay whether for a night before departing on a ferry or for a more extended stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: My room was on the "cliff side" which I suspect has less road noise. But the sea gulls can...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank David C
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Situated close to sea front. Robert the owner greets you with a smile and is helpful with all sorts of local information. The large pink room was situated at the rear and was quiet. The lounge is situated on the same first floor and has lovely views out to sea,as does the breakfast room on the ground floor. Small tele in bedroom,difficult to view when in bed,no hair dryer for the ladies. Tea and coffee making in room. The bath room is close by and you can have a lovely hot soak. Small car park at front of property. Free Wi Fi. Very handy for three minute drive to ferry port. Walking distance to town,restaurants,pubs. Good overnight stay.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve16588
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This was the start of a long planned cruise trip to Norway. The Loddington House was a real find for a place to spend a couple of days. Located under the white cliffs and overlooking the Harbor the views were grand. It is also located in short walking distance from the town center and the Dover Castle. Both of these are worth spending time with. Robert could not have been more helpful. From dinner recommendations to taxi arrangements he satisfied our needs fully. Breakfast at the Loddington matches its other assets. For a continental or a full English breakfast it fills the need in the old style. A great place to stay!

Room Tip: The Gold Room has great views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheRodg
Reviewed 9 May 2012

A lovely old guest house in great condition with a great host!

We stayed in the "cream room". It was very comfortable, but it was a bit of a climb up. The bathroom was across the hall, but it was our own. Double windows kept the traffic noise out, able to open to enjoy the night air. It was only busy traffic wise in the afternoon for some reason.

Everything was very clean (even the kitchen which wasn't a visitor location but caught a peek of).
Robert was an excellent guest and took very good care of us.

I would very much recommend. Just take a lower room if climbing stairs is an issue.

Room Tip: Front has great view of harbor. Parking is in front, but normal walk in/out in rear.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew P
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

The hotel was excellent value. We stayed for one night and were well looked after. We thought Dover is under rated, has beautiful cliff walks, castle is amazing and fantastic views of the sea. Would definitely go back for a longer stay.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed for two nights over a weekend. Overall we were very happy with our stay and would definitely recommend Loddington House to anyone staying in Dover. It is a cute B&B with a beautiful little rose garden, somewhat retro decor and is very accessible, a short 15m walk from the town centre.

Probably a quirk of the architecture, but our room (Cream Room on the top floor) was much warmer than the rest of the house. Surely cosy in winter, but during the hottest October weekend on record the window had to stay open the whole time! Being effectively in the roof, the ceilings were also lower than in the rest of the house.

However, the rooms and toilets were spotless and the bed was comfortable. The reception was friendly and welcoming. We were impressed by the lounge and breakfast was very good. Hard to fault really!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea are slightly noisier due to traffic, but are sunny all day and have good views...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple