“Not as good as I expected from other reviews.”
Review of Loddington House

Loddington House
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Dover
Mississauga, Canada
“Not as good as I expected from other reviews.”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My friend and I stayed at Loddington house August 8, 9, 2012 before a cruise. When booking, I asked for a quiet room. Robert neglected to mention that it was on the fourth floor (no elevator). I would have planned my luggage differently if I had known. Also he did not mention that the seagulls on the cliffs behind our room were SO LOUD that we could not sleep without earplugs! Not my definition of a quiet room!

The hotel was very clean and Robert and his mother were very pleasant. The breakfasts were delicious.

Our room was very small so we went to sit in the spacious lounge one evening but found, to our surprise, that the lightbulbs had been removed from all the lamps so we could not sit and read. There was no one around to ask for a light bulb.

When I asked about taking a taxi to the visitors' centre on the white cliffs so I could walk around and meet my friend who was taking the walking path all the way up, Robert said he didn't think a taxi would go there. My friend reported later that it would have been no problem. Surely Robert, who lives in Dover, should have known this information. I wasted a morning sitting in the lounge reading when I could have been up on the white cliffs enjoying the views. Very disappointing!

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to others and I would not stay there again myself.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front have traffic but not seagulls. They would likely be quieter because of the double...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
accommodater, Owner at Loddington House, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Interesting comments!!!

Hotel situated adjacent to the largest passenger port in Europe, elevated noise levels to be expected, one would surmise, also 'White Cliffs' of Dover behind establishment, so inevitably there will be Seagulls, there fledglings are in abundance, which in turn creates louder than usual noise levels. Our property is 1836 Regency Grade 2 listed, all information is listed comprehensively on our website, for all to read, there is no mention of elevator, we cannot install one, as it is prohibited due to our listed status. There were light bulbs in the lamps, only one standing lamp was inoperative, the lady had not plugged it in to the socket. I am quite aware of the local geography and historical sites and places of interest, and how to access them. One has to be furnished with the correct questions in the first place

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The hotel couldn't be closer to Dover Port but as it's on the main road if you are in a room on the front then it's noisy most of the time, the area is very tired and run down as opposed to other parts along the front which are quieter and better presented. The private parking is just two spaces but there is parking outside in the road, however I was concerned about safety as there were people from the boats hanging around for lifts etc.

The entrance garden of the hotel was very overgrown and the hotel whilst adequate and clean was rather tired and old fashioned, more of a b and b than hotel. The person who greeted me was welcoming and pleasant.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
, Owner at Loddington House, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Unfortunately, due to the location, within 200 metres of the largest passenger port in Europe, there is to be expected, an issue with traffic flow; we have secondary glazing, which eliminates some of the noise levels. We have parking for 3 cars in the front and a lock-up garage at the rear, also negotiated parking shared with another hotel, 2 doors along.

Yes, the property is old fashioned, it is grade 2 listed, built in 1836, it is well maintained, decoratively, during off season.

Regarding the garden it is not overgrown, as stated, this is a feature, not manicured, adds character.
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I stayed at the Loddington House Hotel for four nights as I explored, Dover, Kent and the southeast of England. I would rate this hotel very highly. The location is ideally located with the city centre, ferries or Dover Castle just minutes away by foot. The proprietor, Robert, is very friendly and especially helpful. He greeted me by name upon arrival, asked for my breakfast preferences and showed me to me room. Each morning, at the time I indicated I'd come down for breakfast, a bowl of fruit and glass of orange juice awaited me and Robert very soon appeared with my pot of tea and toast and a croissant. A "full on" English breakfast is also available. But I'm not one for heavy breakfasts.

My room was identified as a "cliff view" room. My side of the hotel faced the White Cliffs and from my window I could see some of the "windows" cut from the war time tunnels in the cliffs. It turns out that atop the cliff that my room faced is the Dover Castle. The room itself was clean, comfortable and well cared for. In-room tea and coffee were provided. The WiFi provide a strong signal and the TV offered quite an array of channels. To illustrate Robert's hospitality, during my stay, the regional TV authority made a the switch from analogue to digital which created havoc for over-the-air viewers. Robert made several visits to my room on the second floor to get the system running.

When I first arrived, I must admit that I was a bit freaked out. My SatNav (or GPS) had delivered me to 14 East Cliff. This is really a dingy backstreet. lthough the hotel's entrance from this side is very nice, some of the neighboring buildings don't put their "best foot forward" on this side. The image you'll see on the hotel web site is from the Marine Parade side of the building. So, if you arrive by car, when the SatNav says to exit left from Townwall Street, you'll see a fork in the road. Go to the right (Marine Parade) where the parking area is. Although this isn't the side from which you'll normally enter on foot, this is where you'll find the parking AND the first impression of the hotel is better than from the other side.

All in all, this is a very pleasant place to stay whether for a night before departing on a ferry or for a more extended stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: My room was on the "cliff side" which I suspect has less road noise. But the sea gulls can...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank David C
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

Situated close to sea front. Robert the owner greets you with a smile and is helpful with all sorts of local information. The large pink room was situated at the rear and was quiet. The lounge is situated on the same first floor and has lovely views out to sea,as does the breakfast room on the ground floor. Small tele in bedroom,difficult to view when in bed,no hair dryer for the ladies. Tea and coffee making in room. The bath room is close by and you can have a lovely hot soak. Small car park at front of property. Free Wi Fi. Very handy for three minute drive to ferry port. Walking distance to town,restaurants,pubs. Good overnight stay.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve16588
North Carolina
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This was the start of a long planned cruise trip to Norway. The Loddington House was a real find for a place to spend a couple of days. Located under the white cliffs and overlooking the Harbor the views were grand. It is also located in short walking distance from the town center and the Dover Castle. Both of these are worth spending time with. Robert could not have been more helpful. From dinner recommendations to taxi arrangements he satisfied our needs fully. Breakfast at the Loddington matches its other assets. For a continental or a full English breakfast it fills the need in the old style. A great place to stay!

Room Tip: The Gold Room has great views.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheRodg
Fitchburg, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 9 May 2012

A lovely old guest house in great condition with a great host!

We stayed in the "cream room". It was very comfortable, but it was a bit of a climb up. The bathroom was across the hall, but it was our own. Double windows kept the traffic noise out, able to open to enjoy the night air. It was only busy traffic wise in the afternoon for some reason.

Everything was very clean (even the kitchen which wasn't a visitor location but caught a peek of).
Robert was an excellent guest and took very good care of us.

I would very much recommend. Just take a lower room if climbing stairs is an issue.

Room Tip: Front has great view of harbor. Parking is in front, but normal walk in/out in rear.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew P
Littleport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

The hotel was excellent value. We stayed for one night and were well looked after. We thought Dover is under rated, has beautiful cliff walks, castle is amazing and fantastic views of the sea. Would definitely go back for a longer stay.

• Stayed May 2012