“Beautiful building”
Review of Loddington House

Loddington House
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I had the pleasure of staying here, on my return from Belgium, more through accident than design. I had a twin room at the back, and had a lovely, comfortable night's sleep-best of the whole trip. I am very sensitive to noise, but did not experience any during my stay.
Robert was very pleasant and accomodating. I arrived late, in inclement weather-kindly pointed me to a couple of restaurants, and offered to carry my bags up. There was parking available at the front of the house (unusual in Dover-as I found from phoning around).
The breakfast room was superb! A spacious, gracious room, with large windows overlooking the sea, and the beautiful patio garden. The table was laid immacutely; tea, hot water, crystal for jam and marmalade. Breakfast (I am not eating meat at the moment), was poached eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and toast.
The house itself was built in 1836 and is listed. It has a beautiful sitting room overlooking the sea. It is licensed.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank Raj S
There are newer reviews for Loddington House

Reviewed 29 November 2012

The Loddington House is perfect for a quick ferry return, which is just perfect for me. I assumed the entrance was on the front but it's on the opposite side. My room, the victorian I think, brought back some memories of my bed when I was a kid. My bed had the springs as the base not in the mattress. Brilliant. My room was facing the cliff face, quieter than the front i guess. Two chairs, lcd tv with free view, wash basin, plenty of storage for clothes and a kettle for the brews. The bathroom was another room but it was for my use only, it wasn't shared. Breakfast, although just a fry up, toast, a glass of orange and tea or coffee, it was a quality rather than quantity. Real good bacon. One morning, breakfast came with the usual bacon and eggs, had hash browns the next day was fried bread and a sausage. The dining room gave a good view of the port and sea. Robert was a great host. Definitely a place worth going back to.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank lee69
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Stayed in a twin room for only one night. Without being pretentious or overbearing, the accommodation was more than adequate. The tariff was most reasonable and the Robert very approachable and obliging. The breakfast was superb and amongst the best we had during our three weeks away. The hotel is only 15 minutes walk from the city and we were directed to a very good "cellar" bar in town which we enjoyed very much as we got to chat and have some laughs with the locals.

Room Tip: Be mindful that most rooms are 2-3 floors up. We made a separate overnight bag up so that we didn...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AustraliaNev
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My friend and I stayed at Loddington house August 8, 9, 2012 before a cruise. When booking, I asked for a quiet room. Robert neglected to mention that it was on the fourth floor (no elevator). I would have planned my luggage differently if I had known. Also he did not mention that the seagulls on the cliffs behind our room were SO LOUD that we could not sleep without earplugs! Not my definition of a quiet room!

The hotel was very clean and Robert and his mother were very pleasant. The breakfasts were delicious.

Our room was very small so we went to sit in the spacious lounge one evening but found, to our surprise, that the lightbulbs had been removed from all the lamps so we could not sit and read. There was no one around to ask for a light bulb.

When I asked about taking a taxi to the visitors' centre on the white cliffs so I could walk around and meet my friend who was taking the walking path all the way up, Robert said he didn't think a taxi would go there. My friend reported later that it would have been no problem. Surely Robert, who lives in Dover, should have known this information. I wasted a morning sitting in the lounge reading when I could have been up on the white cliffs enjoying the views. Very disappointing!

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to others and I would not stay there again myself.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front have traffic but not seagulls. They would likely be quieter because of the double...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
accommodater, Owner at Loddington House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Interesting comments!!!

Hotel situated adjacent to the largest passenger port in Europe, elevated noise levels to be expected, one would surmise, also 'White Cliffs' of Dover behind establishment, so inevitably there will be Seagulls, there fledglings are in abundance, which in turn creates louder than usual noise levels. Our property is 1836 Regency Grade 2 listed, all information is listed comprehensively on our website, for all to read, there is no mention of elevator, we cannot install one, as it is prohibited due to our listed status. There were light bulbs in the lamps, only one standing lamp was inoperative, the lady had not plugged it in to the socket. I am quite aware of the local geography and historical sites and places of interest, and how to access them. One has to be furnished with the correct questions in the first place

Reviewed 23 June 2012

The hotel couldn't be closer to Dover Port but as it's on the main road if you are in a room on the front then it's noisy most of the time, the area is very tired and run down as opposed to other parts along the front which are quieter and better presented. The private parking is just two spaces but there is parking outside in the road, however I was concerned about safety as there were people from the boats hanging around for lifts etc.

The entrance garden of the hotel was very overgrown and the hotel whilst adequate and clean was rather tired and old fashioned, more of a b and b than hotel. The person who greeted me was welcoming and pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Unfortunately, due to the location, within 200 metres of the largest passenger port in Europe, there is to be expected, an issue with traffic flow; we have secondary glazing, which eliminates some of the noise levels. We have parking for 3 cars in the front and a lock-up garage at the rear, also negotiated parking shared with another hotel, 2 doors along.

Yes, the property is old fashioned, it is grade 2 listed, built in 1836, it is well maintained, decoratively, during off season.

Regarding the garden it is not overgrown, as stated, this is a feature, not manicured, adds character.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I stayed at the Loddington House Hotel for four nights as I explored, Dover, Kent and the southeast of England. I would rate this hotel very highly. The location is ideally located with the city centre, ferries or Dover Castle just minutes away by foot. The proprietor, Robert, is very friendly and especially helpful. He greeted me by name upon arrival, asked for my breakfast preferences and showed me to me room. Each morning, at the time I indicated I'd come down for breakfast, a bowl of fruit and glass of orange juice awaited me and Robert very soon appeared with my pot of tea and toast and a croissant. A "full on" English breakfast is also available. But I'm not one for heavy breakfasts.

My room was identified as a "cliff view" room. My side of the hotel faced the White Cliffs and from my window I could see some of the "windows" cut from the war time tunnels in the cliffs. It turns out that atop the cliff that my room faced is the Dover Castle. The room itself was clean, comfortable and well cared for. In-room tea and coffee were provided. The WiFi provide a strong signal and the TV offered quite an array of channels. To illustrate Robert's hospitality, during my stay, the regional TV authority made a the switch from analogue to digital which created havoc for over-the-air viewers. Robert made several visits to my room on the second floor to get the system running.

When I first arrived, I must admit that I was a bit freaked out. My SatNav (or GPS) had delivered me to 14 East Cliff. This is really a dingy backstreet. lthough the hotel's entrance from this side is very nice, some of the neighboring buildings don't put their "best foot forward" on this side. The image you'll see on the hotel web site is from the Marine Parade side of the building. So, if you arrive by car, when the SatNav says to exit left from Townwall Street, you'll see a fork in the road. Go to the right (Marine Parade) where the parking area is. Although this isn't the side from which you'll normally enter on foot, this is where you'll find the parking AND the first impression of the hotel is better than from the other side.

All in all, this is a very pleasant place to stay whether for a night before departing on a ferry or for a more extended stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: My room was on the "cliff side" which I suspect has less road noise. But the sea gulls can...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank David C
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Situated close to sea front. Robert the owner greets you with a smile and is helpful with all sorts of local information. The large pink room was situated at the rear and was quiet. The lounge is situated on the same first floor and has lovely views out to sea,as does the breakfast room on the ground floor. Small tele in bedroom,difficult to view when in bed,no hair dryer for the ladies. Tea and coffee making in room. The bath room is close by and you can have a lovely hot soak. Small car park at front of property. Free Wi Fi. Very handy for three minute drive to ferry port. Walking distance to town,restaurants,pubs. Good overnight stay.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple