“a 'must' for visitors to Dover - part of the town's cultural heritage”
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #4 of 38 Nightlife in Dover
London
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“a 'must' for visitors to Dover - part of the town's cultural heritage”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This pub has recently been reopened after a period of closure and thank goodness the landlord has improved on what was already an iconic landmark by careful refurbishment. You will see what I mean when I say 'careful': the multitude of successful channel swimmers who have penned their awesome feat onto the walls. A diamond amongst the rough and definitely worth a visit if you arrive early for your ferry. For those of you who don't know, Dover is where swimmers train and set off from for cross channel attempts. See the memorial to Captain Webb (1st successful swim in 1875) and more recent sculptures dedicated to the sport on the sea front. Dover has more than meets the eye, you just need to scratch the surface..

Visited March 2013

Canberra
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A Friendly Pub”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We have had 2 visits to the White Horse Inn. The first time we met a fellow who was a font of information for us at the beginning of our trip. The second time the locals at the bar were friendly and chatty. The 3 little dogs were a surprise but not a problem. The wine and the beers have been consistantly good.

1 Thank Remroda
Dover, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great interesting pub”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The White Horse is a great pub with a good atmosphere and interesting walls to read! Filled with all the signatures of the cross channel swimmers.

2 Thank TheEvansFamily212
newcastle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dont be fooled""”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Did we miss something reading past reviews ??? !!! or is it that the White Horse has new owners/ owner. At first sight it looks like the perfect pub, on entering you look at the bar and think you have walked into a real ale pub with total character.
My wife and I arrived at the bar and asked for a pint of real ale ,the bar man was unsure about how to pull a pint and was given guidance by the owner ,She appeared to know how to pour a pint, I was offered a pint of cloudy beer and he was struggling to make a full pint, When I took my beer back because it (a) tasted foul, was (b) flat and (c) cloudy, the lady (the owner ) said I only took it back because I knew it was the bottom of the barrel ? I suppose the fact it was served in a dirty glass probably confused her , its not easy to see if its cloudy if its seen through a dirty glass.
I have to say I have only been drinking real ales for over forty years so not as knowledgeable as the the land lady. To cap it all we were allowed to order a different drink at 11.00 however within 5 mins we were being asked to see off our drinks and this was looked over by another member of staff who wanted our empty glasses.
We would have liked to think this was because they wanted to put the glasses in the washer on economy seven, but I doubt it;
I am sure ,that as I did not show signs of any cold sores or herpes they were then be able to just give them a quick rinse and use them again . What was interesting while they were standinding over us to get our glasses the locals were still getting served . Well over all ,the female staff were very rude and did not make us feel welcome at all , however the barman who served us initially was both polite and courteous ,though I am not sure he really knew we had arrived, In conclusion give it a miss, sadly not a lot of choice in Dover but I am sure there must be better , ? a glass of beer/ wine in your room before your ferry . sadly I bet this was once a good pub ,will probably share my views with CAMRA.

2 Thank newcsatle2
York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good selection of Real Ales”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Channel Swimmers Paradise, Good Beer , Very local to where we staying - didn't want to leave really

1 Thank Jackie E