“Wonderful Pub Experience in Dover!”
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #4 of 38 Nightlife in Dover
San Francisco
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Wonderful Pub Experience in Dover!”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

One reason for our choice of B & B in Dover is that it's just a block and a half from what looked like a good pub (and historical). It turns out that the White Horse Inn is the place that channel swimmers go to have a pint and leave their autographs on the ceiling and walls. In fact, we met Padraic Mallon just before his successful swim across the channel (we all cheered him and his friends and family). Congratulations, Padraic! This is the kind of atmosphere that will greet you at the White Horse. The pint of choice for me was a bitter from Bolton, Lancashire, called Mad Goose, a mad and wonderful pint. I want more! Tony is the friendly bartender, and we got to meet other locals. Loved the conversations with people like Diana. Made our short stay very memorable. Thank you, Dover!

1 Thank francescaripperts

Fredericton, Canada
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“A great story....”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I was walking down the street in Dover and was looking at some of the buildings...I was looking up at the sign...and into the window trying to figure out if it was a nice place to stop for a beer - or if it was an Inn without a place to get a beverage.

I was the quintessential tourist...two cameras and my tripod...two men sitting in the window waved me in....so I went. Definitely a place to get a beer...The two gentlemen (in their 60s I would guess) bought me a beer and invited me to join them. This was a traditional british pub...although I think I initially offended them when I ordered a Guinness :) I changed to a Bitters...LOL.

We chatted and they asked about where I was from ... and why I was traveling alone...etc. They were really nice and were able to share with me some of the history of Dover and the Inn itself.

One of the most interesting things about the Inn is that the walls are covered in names carved into the wood of people who have completed the swim across the channel.

Who knew that this would be one of my favourite memories from my trip to England.

Fareham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The writings on the walls”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Arrived in Dover on the Friday , late afternoon( catch ferry early Saturday morning). I Found a place to stay, owner recommended this pub so dropped my kit off and headed for a well earned pint of real ale and simple honest grub. On entering the pub I first noticed the walls are covered with writing.Closer inspection reveals they are the writings of all the people who have attempted successfully or unsuccessfully swam the channel.I ordered. Fish and chips along with a pint of Bohemian ale, both were excellent, and are to be recommended. Also met some of the local characters , which further made this a most enjoyable and member able visit. If you want good no frills food and drink this is for you.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank HowardC786
oxford
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Good Beer and a good read!!”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Stayed near this pub just near Dover Castle and it has a entry in the Good Beer Guide. Good local pub with well kept beers and very interesting walls. You could spend a good few pints reading all the entries of cross channel swimmers over the years. Well worth seeking out.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank roadsterOxford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Never wanted to swim the channel more!”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I've spent the entire week in Dover working away on business (reluctantly). As you do, i ventured out for the evening in hope of finding somewhere half decent for a few pints with a collegue. I never envisgned Dover to have great nightlife but was pretty staggered by the lack of pubs in Dover town centre. A small selection of dated and depressing pubs which were either inhabited by hopelessly drunk elderly people or polish hoodies.

Then. Thankfully! We stumbled upon 'The White Horse'.

I'd already resigned myself to another selection of Dovers finest dead legs on the approach but was pleasantly surprised to find a nicely decked pub full of normal people and a good atmosphere. They had a good selection of ale and rather brilliantly; the walls throughout are daubed in names and times of people who've been mad enough to swim the English Channel which is apparently part of a long lived tradition (it looks better than it sounds).

It is the best pub in Dover by some distance, which granted, isn't hard. But truth be told? I think it would be the best pub in most towns..

Visited April 2013