“good local - allows dogs”
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #4 of 38 Nightlife in Dover
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I believe this is a popular locals pub in Dover (and one of the better) but unfortunately the house wine by the glass is a bit poor.

1  Thank Janey M
There are newer reviews for The White Horse

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Nice little place. Went there with friends for a few drinks. Owner very friendly. Nice atmosphere and environment.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great historic spot. Charming young lady bartender great to talk to.
Tried a Shandy there for the first time while reading the channel swimmers notes on wall

1  Thank LaurieDJ
Reviewed 4 August 2013

One reason for our choice of B & B in Dover is that it's just a block and a half from what looked like a good pub (and historical). It turns out that the White Horse Inn is the place that channel swimmers go to have a pint and leave their autographs on the ceiling and walls. In fact, we met Padraic Mallon just before his successful swim across the channel (we all cheered him and his friends and family). Congratulations, Padraic! This is the kind of atmosphere that will greet you at the White Horse. The pint of choice for me was a bitter from Bolton, Lancashire, called Mad Goose, a mad and wonderful pint. I want more! Tony is the friendly bartender, and we got to meet other locals. Loved the conversations with people like Diana. Made our short stay very memorable. Thank you, Dover!

1  Thank francescaripperts
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I was walking down the street in Dover and was looking at some of the buildings...I was looking up at the sign...and into the window trying to figure out if it was a nice place to stop for a beer - or if it was an Inn without a place to get a beverage.

I was the quintessential tourist...two cameras and my tripod...two men sitting in the window waved me in....so I went. Definitely a place to get a beer...The two gentlemen (in their 60s I would guess) bought me a beer and invited me to join them. This was a traditional british pub...although I think I initially offended them when I ordered a Guinness :) I changed to a Bitters...LOL.

We chatted and they asked about where I was from ... and why I was traveling alone...etc. They were really nice and were able to share with me some of the history of Dover and the Inn itself.

One of the most interesting things about the Inn is that the walls are covered in names carved into the wood of people who have completed the swim across the channel.

Who knew that this would be one of my favourite memories from my trip to England.