“Great Host- Michael”

Ranked #20 of 41 Dover B&B and Inns
Austin, Spamtown , Minnesota
“Great Host- Michael”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Michael responded to all our email inquiries and made suggestions on mode of travel to Dover from London. He even offered to pick us up at Dover Priory, though we walked instead, easy enough. Michael did drive us to the cruise terminal at 1:30 P.M. after our tour of Dover Castle. With additional guests arriving and his son's birthday he managed to accommodate our desire to sightsee in Dover. He provided a full English breakfast that enabled us to tour most of the day without anything additional. The room was unique and I am still a believer in using B&B to add something special to your travel. The location provides an easy walk to most places if your are in moderate shape.

Room Tip: We were in the lower level off street room. The only problem is the room had a very low ceiling thou...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

The double room on the ground floor has a private entrance, plenty of space and lovely en suite facilities. We found this to be a great pre-cruise location from which to explore Dover and its historic castle. You can be confident that the property photos are accurate.
Michael could not have been a better host. He picked us up at the coach station upon arrival and even took us to the cruise terminal to meet our ship. We felt right at home from the beginning and welcomed the opportunity to recuperate from our overseas flight.
I would like to encourage anyone cruising out of Dover to start their travel early, spend at least two nights with Michael & Beverly, relax, visit a local pub, take the Castle tour and start your cruise refreshed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bilbo42
Chatillon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Excellent choice. We stayed 3 weeks in the UK and did not find a better B&B. Lovely room, very spacious and such a nice smell (aromatherapy). Ideal for families with children. Excellent home cooked breakfast. Good location, safe, and possible to park a car safely. I can recommend this place definitevely.

Room Tip: Very calm room, spacious. Have a go! You won't regret it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandra T
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed at a charming Bed and Breakfast one night in June which was owned and operated by Michael and Beverly Pirie in Dover, Kent CT17 OSY. This is an elegant home, offering to me a downstairs room with all the comforts of a top rated hotel. It had an incredible beautiful large private bathroom, brochures on Dover for the taking, elegant bed linens, a private entrance and the host, Michael invited me to enjoy their gardens and brought me a fantastic cup of tea while I awaited briefly the departing guests as I had arrived early. This was a beautiful serene spot, and the host suggested nearby restaurants and directions for my walk-about Dover as I had by-passed the town arriving by a cab at the Bed and Breakfast from the Dover Cruise dock. In the morning there was a full breakfast awaiting me and my choice of tea or coffee. My host went above and beyond in friendliness and welcoming to Dover as well as helping me with my very heavy suitcase to the awaiting cab which would take me to London. This is a Bed and Breakfast that I would highly recommend to anyone who would prefer to take the time to see Dover and its beauty and not just pass through on their way to or from the cruise ship.

Room Tip: My room was with a private door and key for my coming and going and Michael Pirie would be the exper...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank clondres
Dover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

This tiny B&B has two rooms, a double with its own entrance - and its own key - and a smaller room facing ghe garden. I stayed in the double, which has the most beautiful en suite I have ever seen. Everything is of the highest standard, the bed with its egyptian cotton bedlinen is perfect.

The welcome i received from Michael when i staggered in, late on a cold wet night, was so kind and thoughtful - a glass of wine and a tasty snack, then Michael left me to enjoy the warmth and comfort of the room, and a hot bath in the impeccably clean and well appointed en suite.

Everything is geared to their guests and their comfort and pleasure.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Stella Q
Phuket Town, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

My wife and I booked for one night and ended up staying for two! Didn't think there was much to see except for the white cliffs, we were so wrong. Still more to see so will have to come back again Michael. 299 London road is a little gem of a B&B. warm cosy room, comfy bed. Flat screen tv. All the little extras that set one b & b apart from another such as tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the room, a great selection of DvdS if you want to stay in on a cold winter night, a good selection of restaurants and pubs within walking distance (reasonable prices as well) and to start the day a full (English) breakfast. The only drawback would be that there is only on street parking but the positives far out way this one little negative. I can truly say "superb" and we'll d one to michael and Beverly. 5** Miro

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I visited 299 London Road on August- vacationing around Europe in hotels was starting take a toll on me, they were nice but I wanted more home like feel while in Dover. I came across this lovely place while doing my research in airbnb and believe me, it was the best decision I made during the whole trip.
Bev came to my rescue to pick me up at the cruise terminal , calling it a rescue as it was my first time in Dover and it was a good feeling to have someone around to welcome me.
During my 3 days stay there I had a great time! My very friendly hosts Micheal and Bev were helpful and assisted me in my tour around Dover. House had all the facilities that I would find in mine in Hong Kong and breakfast was YUMMM! The house had a very vintage decor similar to mine in HK and I felt like being back home. By the end of 3rd day I had become very good friends with Bev and Micheal - it was kind of sad to leave but I had to. :)
On my way to Paris I promised myself that I would definitely visit 299 while I am in UK next time again...
Thank you for your hospitality- I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at your very beautiful home.

I will definitely be back for more...

Avi