“Full of character, ideal for a short stay”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The GateHouse

The Gate House, grade II listed gothic mini castle build c1850.
Romantic bedroom with canopied bed. View through to bedroom turret The historic Gate House, Grade II listed. A fantastic holiday cottage for year round breaks.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The Gate House, grade II listed gothic mini castle build c1850.
Romantic bedroom with canopied bed. View through to bedroom turret
Romantic canopied bed
Cosy lounge with gas log burner and fully sprung double sofa bed.
The English Channel, taken from Dover seafront. I never get tired of this view. 10 minutes walk away
Well equipped, modern kitchen
View through to bedroom turret with dressing table.
Bathroom with lovely deep bath
Fully equipped kitchen.
Dining area with pull out table seating 4.
The Gate House with original red phonebox outside!
Cosy living room with sofa bed and gas fire
We love old books!
Guest book full of lovely comments from guests who have enjoyed staying in their own mini castle.
Dover Castle, situated just behind the Gate House. 5 minutes walk to the entrance from the cottage.
Stunning Dover Castle in the snow. The GateHouse is the perfect base to explore all year round.
The famous White Cliffs of Dover. A wonderful place for dog walks with stunning scenery and views.
Dover sea sports centre. Offers sailing, canoeing, wind surfing and other sea sports.15 minutes walk
Spotless Dover Esplanade. Such a pretty and tranquil area to wander by the sea.15 minutes walk away
Dover promenade, totally unspoilt seaside. 10 minutes walk from the cottage.
Botany Bay. Beautiful sandy beach 40 minutes drive from the Gate House in Broadstairs.
One of my favourite parts of the gateHouse. Beautiful tapestry hung over the fireplace.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
Jesser24
UK canals
“Full of character, ideal for a short stay”
Reviewed 18 January 2017 for a stay in January 2017

Good value dog-friendly holiday let that you'll remember! Very well renovated, comfortable and warm. Delighted with the bedroom & bathroom but found it a bit gloomy downstairs - but it is a castle!!!!! Will definitely visit again

Your age range 65+
20 Jan 2017
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, please do come and visit again soon. Best wishes.
Kate S
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Beautiful place to stay, characterful, comfortable and relaxing”
Reviewed 29 March 2016 for a stay in March 2016

My husband and I had a great stay at The Gatehouse. We were hugely impressed by both the character and quirkiness - and the comfiness of the house! It is really unique, and we booked after spotting it on a repeat of Homes under the Hammer! Michelle who owns The Gatehouse was delightful and very friendly to deal with - and very quick to respond to any queries. The charm and quirkiness of The Gatehouse is definitely matched with how comfortable and lovely it is to stay in. The bed is extremely comfy, the bath luxurious, the living room comfortable and the kitchen very well appointed. Also the house was spotlessly clean and really thoughtfully decorated. You can see a great deal of care has been taken to make this a really lovely and unique place to stay. I was so chuffed that there was even a dressing table complete with hairdryer in the Turret! Michelle had left us a pint of milk (much welcome after a longish journey) and also some chocolates and prosecco to celebrate our anniversary, which we really appreciated and thought was a lovely touch, going well above what we would expect. The kitchen had everything we could possibly want. The instruction book was very easy to get to grips with and we found it a piece of cake to put the heating on for additional time. We also found the house heated up in no time. It really is a unique place and well worth a visit. So rare to be able to stay somewhere so characterful, which also offers a great level of comfort. It is very close to the wonderful Dover Castle, which was handy.

Liked best: Quirkiness and comfort
Liked least: Slight noise at night, due to being on a reasonably busy road, but it didn't bother my husband and as a light sleeper, I didn't notice any noise with ear plugs
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
30 Mar 2016
Thankyou so much for your kind words, I am so pleased that you chose to spend your anniversary at the GateHouse and also that the cottage lived up to your hopes. It really is the perfect place to celebrate special occasions. I do hope you'll come back and visit again very soon.
Natalia G
Cary, North Carolina
“Me and my sons enjoyed it”
Reviewed 30 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015
person found this review helpful

Excellent location within walking distance to Dover city center, grocery shop, train station, bus stops, sea front and the White Cliffs. Just outside of the Dover castle, so one can visit as often as one wishes. Or can walk along the cliffs, or even take a longer hike to Walmer or Deal. Very well equipped house, everything is very convenient. Does not have a wi-fi and we first thought it would be a problem. But then I decided it was a godsend - as a result I had a real vacation with 10 days without checking my work email and instead playing card games and talking with my kids. We were tourists from USA, and this time in UK we stayed in Dover and made day trips to London and around Kent. The strategy worked very well for us, as London is a very easy access from Dover by high-speed train and we visited quite a number of interesting places in Kent, and did some hiking. So this gate house made a perfect base for us.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location and historic looks
Liked least: can't think of anything
Travelling group: Young Children
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
26 Feb 2016
I'm so pleased that you all enjoyed your stay, it certainly is a great place to get away from it all, though the cottage does now have wifi (you don't have to use it though if you want to escape from work!) As you said, there are so many places to visit nearby and also a little further afield into London on the High Speed trains or even across the Channel for day trips. I do hope you'll drop by next time you come to England.
JillLesle...
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Cosy & Clean Accommodation”
Reviewed 16 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015

The Gatehouse is just out of town and close to the castle, but not too far away to enjoy the facilities.

Accommodation very clean, with a nice old world feel. Great for two people or someone travelling on their own. The kitchen is very well appointed with a good selection of just about everything you need.

Cosy real fire effect gas fire in the lounge, which does the job and looks pretty at the same time.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Cosy fire, kitchen and how clean all the rooms were
Liked least: Roads on both sides of the property and no wifi
26 Feb 2016
I'm so pleased you liked the cottage. It would be lovely to welcome you back again soon.
Karen_Gri...
Grinnell, IA
“Snug, warm, and comforting”
Reviewed 27 March 2015 for a stay in March 2015

My husband and I stayed here for almost a week. The owner quickly responded to our queries and made access, etc., quite easy to follow. The towels and linens were in great condition, and once we got the hang of the thermostat, we stayed snug and warm whether downstairs or upstairs. I especially appreciated the hair dryer in the vanity in the turret!

If you are arriving by train and have no car, you might want to arrange a taxi from the train station to help with getting your luggage up the hill to the house. It is not generally a difficult walk up hill but could be challenging with luggage. It is quite a quick walk into town to restaurants or groceries.

The house is perfect for two!

Liked best: Atmosphere
28 Mar 2015
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Gate House. I do take guests comfort and holiday enjoyment very seriously and it gives me great satisfaction when people have been so pleased with their stay. I'd very much like to welcome you back again very soon. Best wishes, Michelle.
barbforan
Durand, Michigan
“quaint”
Reviewed 21 March 2015 for a stay in March 2015
person found this review helpful

we booked the gatehouse after seeing the photos on tripadvisor and reading the reviews. we were attracted to the location, its unique style and attractive photos showing a brightly lit interior. We were looking forward to staying at a rental with all the comforts of home. arranging entrance was straightforward with the key lock box, which was helpful as we were unsure of our arrival time. upon entering the cottage, it was quite cold with a musty odor. instructions on how to adjust the heat were provided, and we were able to warm up the cottage some-but it never rose to the setting on the thermostat. temperatures outdoors were at about 9 degrees, and we expected the heating system should have been able to accommodate warming the small cottage. on our third night there the central heating unit simply wouldn't respond to increasing the temperature on the thermostat at all. there were other portable heating devices that we used to help warm up the cottage. the decor and cleanliness were very good. however, the photographs show a very well-lit cottage, and at no time during our stay, day or at night with all the lights on did we ever experience good lighting as pictured. on our second morning using the stove, the burners would not light, and with no matches to be found we were left without a working cookstove for breakfast. as in previous reviews, the bath is not set up as a standing shower, but warm water was always readily available and large bath towels. the bed is comfortable and beautifully decorated. you must be careful not to bump your head in the room-I am only 5ft3inches and I needed to regularly duck to prevent hitting the low open beams. please be advised that the staircase is a spiral as in the castles, very steep and narrow, and it is the only access to the upstairs where the bathroom and bedroom are located. parking is available on the street, but no dedicated space for the gatehouse.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the uniqueness of the cottage
Liked least: poor response by the owner to our concerns, no wi-fi
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
22 Mar 2015
I'm very sorry you encountered one or two problems during your stay. I make it very clear to guests, prior to arrival, to phone me if they have any problems or questions during their stay. Unfortunately you didn't inform me or Holiday Lettings of your problems until over a week after the end of your holiday. Had I been notified I could easily have rectified both of these issues. I have more heaters I could have brought to the cottage and certainly could have got the cooker top lit as it was working when my cleaner attended just a few days ago so I'm sure there was nothing major wrong.
Sadly there is not the head room to provide a stand up shower, nor outside space belonging to the property to provide a dedicated parking space, which is why neither are advertised.
The photographs on the site were taken by a Holiday Lettings photographer using just the usual cottage lighting.
I hope this addresses your concerns.
10Sarah69
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Amazing cozy retreat - highly recommend”
Reviewed 16 January 2015 for a stay in January 2015
people found this review helpful

Just returned today after a four night break in The Gate House & we absolutely loved every second of it, so did the dog! It truly is a getaway in a private, quaint little castle & has everything you could need.
Walking distance to the town, castle & seafront and very short drive to a lovely walk on The White Cliffs.
Owner Michelle was so helpful & professional, loads of information provided in the house & we will definately recommend The Gate House to others & be returning for another relaxing stay - thank you Michelle for everything.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Cozy, peaceful & a beautiful property that is clean & well maintained
Liked least: Nothing - it was just perfect
Families with young children People with pets
17 Jan 2015
I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Thankyou for your kind words and for taking the trouble to leave a review. I'd love to welcome you back to the Gate House very soon.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing