“Bed and breakfast”

Ranked #31 of 38 Dover B&B and Inns
Slough, United Kingdom
“Bed and breakfast”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My husband and I stayed there for one night on our way to Belguim. All rooms have to share one shower and one toilet and felt a lot of people sharing these facilities. As you are on a main road the noise level was very high. It was very hot and we had to keep our window closed because of the noise.
I woke up on Sunday morning scratching by my ankles only to find I had been bitten by bed bugs. I have pics to prove it.

The facilities needed a lot of cleaning. Our bed was very hard and felt it was sloped

The staff were very friendly and were happy to help, but, they need to thoroughly clean their rooms

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I stayed here with a friend for about a week in the early part of September. Its convenient to the Dover Priory Train Station (about 5-7min walk).The room was pretty standard - double twin with a bathroom. The beds were long enough (I'm 5'9" and my friend is 6'2") but very stiff. We didn't receive clean towels or have our beds made every day but the owner was nice to me and gladly gave clean towels when we asked for them. The bathroom was pretty small but efficient, however the water pressure in our sink was almost non-existent. Also, the shower water temperature can be tricky.The breakfast was typical English (beans, eggs, bacon*, toast). Cereal and fruit were also available. By the way, there is a midnight curfew. We didn't mind it because my friend was in training but a curfew seemed a bit "dorm"ish.

*If you don't know- English bacon is not like American Bacon. English bacon is more like ham with the strip attached.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dawesville
Reviewed 16 October 2010

reasonably close to the town but quite a small car park. Owner was quite rude because we arrived before 4pm, although we didnt want to go into the room, just check we were booked in. He apologised and gave us a four poster room, which was no more comfortable than any other bed we have stayed in. Narrow stairs, but the room itself was comfortable. The shower is very small and could do with an upgrade.
Breakfast was ok, choice of cooked or cereal, but breakfast room is very small and squashed. paper towels were used one one morning instead of napkins. All in all no more than average.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pambK5480DQ
Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2010

This great B & B is conveniently located in Dover. The hosts offer superb hospitality, quaint rooms and very good value.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Mora
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I arrived unexpected at just on midnight and rang the bell of the Clare House Hotel, the owner welcomed me in gave me a room and even made me a sandwich after I inquired where I might be able to eat.
The room was nice with on suite shower room and tea & coffee facilities
In the morning there was a grand full English breakfast, which was too much for me :)
I have no hesitation in recommending this B&B
Michael

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Belgium
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We are a family from Belgium who stayed in the Clare House for a week in September. It was a very good experience and if we would ever return to Dover, we would chose again for this B&B.
Since we stayed there for more than a few days, our car got an own safe parking space. Our rooms were clean as well as the toilet and shower we had for ourselves in the hallway.
The English breakfast was rich and more than enough with fresh tomatoes. If we preferred a continental breakfast (just as jammie) with fresh fruit, it was not a problem at all.
The hosts gave us some very good tips about restaurants and sights and were very friendly and helpful. The Clare House is an ideal place to stay when you want to discover Kent by car or train, since the railway station is nearby.
In short, we enjoyed our stay and recommend the Clare House to everyone who wants to stay for one or more nights in Dover.

• Stayed September 2009
mydc112
Reviewed 14 September 2009

My boyfriend and I are students in London. We came down to Dover for two nights to see the Castle and the White Cliffs, and it was a wonderful getaway. Mr. Amadou was friendly, helpful, enthusiastic, and very kind. He's from Cyprus, and when we expressed interest in traveling there as well, he brought out a guidebook and showed us where to stay and visit. We stayed in two rooms, both of which were pleasantly decorated and accommodating. The first was an ensuite and the second not, but in both cases the facilities were clean and functional. Breakfast was large and hot - eggs, bacon, sausage, the works! We couldn't finish our portion, and it was a deal! Mr. Amadou also made a great dinner recommendation (Dino's, go have their bruschetta and carbonara!), and mapped out our tour of the Castle and Cliffs better than any guides we later met. From what we hear, not many young adults visit this area or stay in this guesthouse, but you definitely should! Mr. Amadou would welcome you.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple