All reviews train station full english breakfast toilet and shower b and b bed was very comfortable overnight stop stayed here for one night france stella ferries
Reviewed 29 September 2015

we choose Clare House as a stop on our journey from continent to Scotland. It is conveniently located near the town centre and rather cheap (all the Travelodges and Premier Inns in the area were much more expensive for this particular date). Upon arrival we discovered why it was cheaper... first of all the place advertises itself as having free parking for guests, but there is no warning that there are only four spaces available, managed in "first come, first served" manner, so since we arrived at 9pm, there was no space for us to park. The owner suggested that we can drive up the road to look for space, but she never told us about quite a big car park nearby, fortunately we found it ourselves, unfortunately we had to walk back to the Clare House in the rain.
We booked the "luxury 4 post bed bedroom" that was a big disappointment. The room overall is very tired, all the upholstery is faded, the wooden furniture scratched, old towels in a weird faded away orange colour... The bathroom was damp and the shower was dirty. Our friends were staying in other room and their shower was hardly working, only dripping water. Also there are no hair dryers in the rooms, even though the website states otherwise.
As for the breakfast, we were asked if we wish to have full English upon arrival, however we didn't get any choice of the ingredients. When we arrived to the dining room in the morning, we have been served tea & coffee and when I though that lady came back to take our orders, she came back with food already, so you don't even get to choose how you like your egg cooked.
Overall it's a very basic stop on the road, I think that considering poor cleaning standard and no choice over breakfast we overpaid. Next time we are going to stick to the Premier Inn...

and I wonder why there is no cleanliness rating available for my review??? (it would be two dots, "poor").

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Madeline387
Reviewed 2 September 2015

It is a nice structure with a small car park in front of it. The owner welcomes you very nicely and she can give you informations about any event in Dover. The room was ok.
Personally, I didn't like that there wasn't light enough in the bathroom and that the bed had a strong smell of something like deodorant for environment.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2015

The Landlady is very friendly, and welcoming,and did have breakfast available dead on 7am (coffee & toast) But thats as far as the compliments go.

The room # 6 is in urgent need of a refurbishment. The curtain was hanging off the track, the carpet was pretty discusting, there was hardly enough water pressure in the shower & the towels when wet has a smell of wet dogs.

The price charged was not the price booked on bookings.com i will take this up with them, i am sorry to say that if this is the standard of accommodation in Dover we will never stay there again.

Room tip: You get what u pay for.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2015 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at Clare house; Very happy and friendly staff, clean and cosy establishment. Delicious breakfast served with a smile. Would come back again and again.
Very unfair negative reviews, If you are wanting 5 star fancy accommodation pay for it! This guest house is full of character and had everything me and my wife needed for a stop over in Dover.

Date of stay: June 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamesfarrell1985
Reviewed 29 June 2015

I recently stayed in this B&B

As I was visiting friends the only time I was really needing the room was late evenings to sleep. I checked in around 8pm, left my bags in the room and was out again until about 11:30pm. After I was settled in the room I noticed one tap was running. I tried to turn it off, but it would only go so far, and was making a hissing noise. As there was nobody around to speak to, I had to just leave it, and therefore had little sleep.

The next day I was out at 7am to catch the ferry to Calais for the day, and again I didnt get back till late. I had asked about an upgrade the previous day and had been told the rooms were fully booked for that night but there was a room available the following evening. As I thought i would be able to change rooms that night, I didn’t panic too much about getting the tap fixed. I returned to the B&B earlier than I would have wanted to (around 9pm), to arrange the room upgrade, only to be told the rooms were all booked. When I mentioned the tap, and that I had got little sleep the previous evening, was told that although she was sorry about it, there was nothing she could do as she only worked there. I tried to sleep anyway as obviously I was shattered, but I just couldn’t get to sleep and at half eleven I gave up and left the B&B and had to get myself a different hotel so I could get some sleep, as I had a long drive home the next day and I don’t think it would have been safe to drive as tired as I was.

There were a few smaller issues – My room was advertised as having private shower/toilet facilities, when in fact there were other people using the toilet. And it should state somewhere that the car parking is limited – both nights I had my car parked half in half out the gate – which isn’t really secure parking and I would have stayed somewhere else if I had known this would have been the case.

I contacted the B&B on more than one occasion after my stay, and they have failed to get back to me. Not happy with this service.

Date of stay: May 2015