“Two university students loved the service, accommodation, and breakfast at this guesthouse!”
Review of Clare House

and 1 more site!
Clare House
Ranked #30 of 38 Dover B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 September 2009

My boyfriend and I are students in London. We came down to Dover for two nights to see the Castle and the White Cliffs, and it was a wonderful getaway. Mr. Amadou was friendly, helpful, enthusiastic, and very kind. He's from Cyprus, and when we expressed interest in traveling there as well, he brought out a guidebook and showed us where to stay and visit. We stayed in two rooms, both of which were pleasantly decorated and accommodating. The first was an ensuite and the second not, but in both cases the facilities were clean and functional. Breakfast was large and hot - eggs, bacon, sausage, the works! We couldn't finish our portion, and it was a deal! Mr. Amadou also made a great dinner recommendation (Dino's, go have their bruschetta and carbonara!), and mapped out our tour of the Castle and Cliffs better than any guides we later met. From what we hear, not many young adults visit this area or stay in this guesthouse, but you definitely should! Mr. Amadou would welcome you.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Clare House

Reviewed 29 August 2009

The service i received from the owner during my 4 night stay was fantastic. He was very friendly with a good sense of humour. He always did the best he possibly could to ensure my stay was comfortable, for example, he gave me directions, provided me with a map, and offered advice on places to visit.
When i arrived, i found my room to be very clean, and was cleaned every day. The breakfast was very enjoyable and when i asked for anything extra, the owner went out of his way to get it for me.
It has a great location, it is on the same road as the train station i arrived in and was also a 5 minute walk from Dover College where i spent most of my time during my stay.
The best part of my stay was arriving back at the house after a long, tiring day and being greeted in a friendly manner and being able to have a laugh with the owner.
I highly recommend staying here and hope to do so again some day.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2009

After a scratchy start because we were early this B&B turned out OK, The house is old and a little run down but the owner looked after us well even giving us a boxed breakfast because we were catching an early ferry.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nozzie
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We booked this guest house for a romantic weekend and booked the four poster room. When we arrived we were not impressed with the room, it was clean but nothing special. We had limited tea and coffee in the room and had to keep asking for more tea bags, one of the light fittings had no shades on them but instead long life bulbs and the other light fitting had no bulbs at all. We didnt have a new toilet roll in the small bathroom on our arrival.The shaver point didnt work neither did the light above the sink.
We stayed for 2 nights and wished we had only booked 1 when we saw the breakfast which was pretty basic.The table wasn't set properly and I had to request a fork .We only had one knife to eat our breakfast with and butter our toast which wasn't helpful.My partner asked for extra toast and was greeting with 'More toast!' which made us feel like we were in the show Oliver! This was brought and butter was virtually thrown at my partner, leaving us to feel like a nusaince. The area it is situated in was very near to the station but very run down with dirty paths and rubbish strewn outside houses. It certainly wasn't the kind of area you would want to spend a romantic break away in. We chose this as it looked nice on the website, but we would certainly not recommend it to anyone else. The only advantage it did have was being close to the station.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Davids-girl61
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Adam was the consummate host -- my girlfriend and I had a very short time on our hands, to enjoy Dover, and he repeatedly made things easier for us. The rooms were very nice and the place is very conveniently located relative to the train station. Highly recommend.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank discosour
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Nothing was too much trouble for Adam whio even prepared us an excellent hot breakfast earlier than usual to get us on our way to tthe ferry in time. Other guests were staying for more than one night and were obvioulsy happy with their choice of guest house - altogether much nicerr than the impersonal hotel chains in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HansSachs43
Reviewed 1 December 2008

Very convenient for the ferrry, comfortable room (on both occasions when departing to France and returning) Very kindly supplied with a packed lunch as I had to be at the ferry before breakfast was served at 7.00 a.m. Friendly proprietor and I would recommend this establishment despite the number of stairs to the bedrooms! Excellent breakfast enjoyed on my return visit

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Aventurealps