“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in - By a long way!”

Hubert House Guesthouse
Ranked #9 of 38 Dover B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in - By a long way!”
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I booked this "hotel" as it was dog friendly. I was catching the 0730 ferry the next day to start a new life in Germany. When booking, I explained to the hotel staff that I had two bicycles with me, and that they were both valuable. The owner said that they had secure storage on site, and that I was welcome to use it. I arrived in the evening at about 1900. Eventually someone came to the door. I explained that I had been offered secure storage for my bikes. This person, when he could take his eyes off the telly, eventually found a set of keys and led me to a ramshackle lean-to by the car park. I reluctantly put my bikes in there. I explained again that I wanted to be away by 0630, was he sure that someone would be around? "Oh yes, someone is always here"
The next morning I was up and ready to go by 0630. Went down to reception, no one there. Banged all doors, rang all numbers, still no one around. This went on for 20 minutes or so. I could wait no longer, so levered off the locks with my pen-knife, I was even stupid enough to put them back on! Safely in the Ferry Que, rang the hotel to complain, we had also not had the breakfast that we had been charged for. Attitude was "unlucky, I have your credit card details."
I remarked to some other guests that it was an over-priced flea-pit, they didn't disagree. The room was cleanish, but it was really just tired throws covering furniture that is even more tired. The kettle is too big for the taps, if you fill the kettle, you have to empty it again to then put it back on the element. This hotel makes a complete farce of all the grading and rating systems.
Avoid staying in Dover at all costs, but if you must stay there avoid this hotel even more.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Richard N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Slovak first
Eumundi, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Friendly, helpful, all within walking distance to the Castle, Town and Harbour, only a 5 minute taxi ride to the Cruise Terminals.
Excellent breakfasts, room large and comfortable, small balcony overlooking the leafy square. Ensuite with shower is very small. A few flights of stairs and narrow.

Room Tip: The room with the 4 poster bed looked nice
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
wales
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Hubert house is well-situated for ferry crossings and tourism of the area: central location etc. The two bedrooms were very well-equipped, extremely clean and large. We had a slight issue with the breakfast, which came with the whole package: yes - we had an early channel crossing and therefore had to miss the B and B cooked breakfast. We received a small packet of cereal, a piece of fruit and milk in a flask. We were unable to use the milk because the flask had not been cleaned out properly prior to use ( ie was smelly ). We ask a simple question: at a small additional cost to the owner, why was it not possible to leave out some decent supermarket croissants, a small pot of jam, a few pats of butter and maybe a few rolls for customers to enjoy prior to their early departure ? Yes we appreciate that most hoteIs would take this approach ( we left at 7.00 AM sharp), but still feel that this last rather penny-pinching impression marred an otherwise enjoyable stay at this B and B.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank paolaWales
Rio Verde, Arizona
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Peter, the owner is a unique, independent type that makes the stay different from the normal. He is casual, unassuming, good sense of humor, and above all he's out to make your stay a good one.
If you're a swimmer you'll love it here...Peter swims in the channel whenever possible.
Beds are comfortable, rooms are clean and the price is right! Enjoy

Room Tip: Top floor has best view..but it's a climb....
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Stayed here on the way to France and on the way back home. Check-in very smooth, rooms were large, very clean and comfortable. Very reasonable shower power. Enjoyed eating in the Bistro. The included breakfast was more than adequate for us as we are not big breakfast eaters. Husband enjoyed the espresso coffee. Very convenient for the ferries. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Alphen aan den Rijn
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Leaving the ferry from Calais we only had to drive a few minutes to Hubert House. Parking on the private car park. Nice reception. Very nice, lovely decorated familyroom (one double, two single beds). Wifi, TV/DVD, complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cookies in the room, chocolate on the pillow. Small, but complete bathroom. We (couple with two daughters 11 and 13) also had dinner at the little bistro in Hubert House. First class food, delicious desserts. Breakfast wasn't a disappointment either. In short, a pleasant stopover on your way to your holiday destination (and back). We'll be back in three weeks.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2011

A booking for three adult males and offered a triple room ( a bed each). Not very often does that come your way. A beautiful room, very well equiped leaving nothing to be asked for. Superb fresh full english breakfast with the pleasant company of Peter, the owner. A one night stay and we were treated like long stayers. Will recommend to anyone and will allways be our first choice in Dover.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family