“Great, cozy B&B!”

Ranked #10 of 41 Dover B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great, cozy B&B!”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I can't say I agree with some of the negative posts on this B&B. I never felt like an inconvenience to the owner! We were 1 of 2 couples staying that particular night and the only couple having breakfast in the morning. The owner was kind and courteous to us, making us a beautiful breakfast with a full spread of muffins and juices. This B&B is also within walking distance to a really good Indian restaurant as well as the Castle and cliffs if you don't mind a good walk. Everything was clean and comfortable and I would absolutely stay there again

Room Tip: Stayed in the mid level priced room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dreamsupreme

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Slovak first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2011

It is unfortunate because this b&b actually has very cute rooms and is clean. Unfortunately the staff run it like you are an inconvience to them. The owners are around at bizzarre times and you function on their schedule not yours. They kick you out when they need to go into town and they treat you like a huge inconvience. I don't understand the point of running a B&B if you think that people aren't your first priority. No one pays to be disregarded. This unfortunate as I say because it's a nice place but I would never recommend this place to anyone because the staff just do not care about anyone that stays here. There's no person here to check you in either- avoid.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Elizabeth W
HubertHouse, Owner at Hubert House Guesthouse, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
i thought i should let you know that these 7 young students checked in ealier than usual, their bags were taken to their rooms, on check out [ late their bags were kept safely while they went sightseeing,] unfortunately as i said they checked out late, i had to attend my church service, still waiting to have the bill paid and unable to leave the cleaning lady to take receipt, [ i also had to point out that they hadn,t paid enough.] later that day ,late afternoon they returned for their bags, [ was this not customer service.? ]
1450 Chastre
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I was surprised by the size of the room (N° 4), the only down size is that the stair case is very steep & narrow and not suitable for elderly persons.

The food was good and well priced. The owner is I think Australian and a little bit strange but in a nice way.

Next time I will reserve again this B&B when I will be in Kent to visit the vineyards.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I booked this "hotel" as it was dog friendly. I was catching the 0730 ferry the next day to start a new life in Germany. When booking, I explained to the hotel staff that I had two bicycles with me, and that they were both valuable. The owner said that they had secure storage on site, and that I was welcome to use it. I arrived in the evening at about 1900. Eventually someone came to the door. I explained that I had been offered secure storage for my bikes. This person, when he could take his eyes off the telly, eventually found a set of keys and led me to a ramshackle lean-to by the car park. I reluctantly put my bikes in there. I explained again that I wanted to be away by 0630, was he sure that someone would be around? "Oh yes, someone is always here"
The next morning I was up and ready to go by 0630. Went down to reception, no one there. Banged all doors, rang all numbers, still no one around. This went on for 20 minutes or so. I could wait no longer, so levered off the locks with my pen-knife, I was even stupid enough to put them back on! Safely in the Ferry Que, rang the hotel to complain, we had also not had the breakfast that we had been charged for. Attitude was "unlucky, I have your credit card details."
I remarked to some other guests that it was an over-priced flea-pit, they didn't disagree. The room was cleanish, but it was really just tired throws covering furniture that is even more tired. The kettle is too big for the taps, if you fill the kettle, you have to empty it again to then put it back on the element. This hotel makes a complete farce of all the grading and rating systems.
Avoid staying in Dover at all costs, but if you must stay there avoid this hotel even more.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Richard N
Eumundi, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Friendly, helpful, all within walking distance to the Castle, Town and Harbour, only a 5 minute taxi ride to the Cruise Terminals.
Excellent breakfasts, room large and comfortable, small balcony overlooking the leafy square. Ensuite with shower is very small. A few flights of stairs and narrow.

Room Tip: The room with the 4 poster bed looked nice
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
wales
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Hubert house is well-situated for ferry crossings and tourism of the area: central location etc. The two bedrooms were very well-equipped, extremely clean and large. We had a slight issue with the breakfast, which came with the whole package: yes - we had an early channel crossing and therefore had to miss the B and B cooked breakfast. We received a small packet of cereal, a piece of fruit and milk in a flask. We were unable to use the milk because the flask had not been cleaned out properly prior to use ( ie was smelly ). We ask a simple question: at a small additional cost to the owner, why was it not possible to leave out some decent supermarket croissants, a small pot of jam, a few pats of butter and maybe a few rolls for customers to enjoy prior to their early departure ? Yes we appreciate that most hoteIs would take this approach ( we left at 7.00 AM sharp), but still feel that this last rather penny-pinching impression marred an otherwise enjoyable stay at this B and B.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank paolaWales
Rio Verde, Arizona
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Peter, the owner is a unique, independent type that makes the stay different from the normal. He is casual, unassuming, good sense of humor, and above all he's out to make your stay a good one.
If you're a swimmer you'll love it here...Peter swims in the channel whenever possible.
Beds are comfortable, rooms are clean and the price is right! Enjoy

Room Tip: Top floor has best view..but it's a climb....
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple