“We will certainly return if we sail from Dover again”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dover
Number One Guest House
Ranked #13 of 41 Dover B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“We will certainly return if we sail from Dover again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

We also had the Garden Room. Although it was not very large it was very well set out and the bed certainly was very comfortable. Had the weather been nicer we could have sat in the very attractive small walled garden. Breakfast was served to us in our room which we enjoyed. Margaret was extremely helpful to us when we had trouble with our car. Over and above good assistance was given to us. We rather liked using the side entrance. We were also pleased to have the use of a garage instead of road side parking, as we had all our holiday luggage in the boot. It was worth the £3.00 charged for the peace of mind if gave us. Thanks again Margaret for you help.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank moggers14734

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

I know it sounds dramatic, but I have never been so grateful for an overnight stay in all my life. I had taken the train down from London intending to ferry over to Calais, but by the time I got to the dock, the last daytime ferry had just departed. I really wanted to see the "White Cliffs" from the water, so now had a 2 hour wait, and the joy of finding a cheap,safe place to stay in Calais, with me just exhausted and speaking zero French. Not a pretty picture. The lads at the ferry counter all whole-heartedly recommended Number One, as it was partly owned by one of their coworker's mum. So I called, the couple who now owned it were having a dinner party, but gave me an excellent price for the garden room. Taxis had stopped for the night, so I started walking the cold, dark, uphill mile or so tho I was almost sick from exhaustion. The Dover Castle looms in the fog high above the guest house, lit in golden lights and can be seen from almost everywhere below. It was eerie to see it seem to float above me as the winter darkness grew deeper while I trudged along, hauling my bag and hoping I was almost there...
When I finally got to this lovely warm place, I wanted to weep! The extremely friendly hosts, John and Margaret, interupted their evening to show me my wonderful garden room. John advised me that it was MUCH safer to be on this side of the Channel than in the broad daylight in Calais, which was seriously confirmed the next day, so finding this b&b felt more providential than ever. They returned to their guests after taking my preferences for breakfast, recommending a fish'nchips place just down the castle road, and a quiky mart to buy sandwiches & pasties to pack for my train trip the next day to Paris. Best fish'n chips I ever ate, brilliant advice to pack my own delicious sandwiches, and what a joy my room was. Charming fabrics, all floral chintzes and plaids, lovely antiques, so homey. The big bed was lushiously soft, big fluffy pillows, great tv mounted in the corner. I completely recuperated laying in that cozy bed, eating my take-away fishnchips, watching silly British tv game shows and a movie.
Breakfast next morning came at my requested time, on a silver tray with lovely china, with all my requests PLUS some of her clotted cream left over from their dinner party, for the fruit, scones, in my coffee - I wanted to roll in it. Oh my! Just wonderful. When Margaret realized I was going to walk all the way back to the docks pulling my bag (and dreading it) she offered to drive me! These are just the kindest people, and have a lovely place, and they do anything and everything they can to make it a great time for you. I want to go back here as a destination, not just a stopover, but even for that, it was wonderful, and I do believe it saved my life!

Room Tip: The room choices are quite varied, I loved the setting of the garden room, separate from the house...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank ibgayle
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

Myself and my partner were travelling to France for the weekend and booked this bed and breakfast for a stop over in Dover before catching an early ferry.
The house itself is lovely from what we saw and the location was perfect.
When we were shown to our room which was seperate to the main house we were a bit disappointed.
The room was we thought quite small and the ensuite toilet and shower were a tight squeeze. I am not the tallest however if I had been any taller I would have had trouble using the shower.
The bedding was a touch old fashioned and felt grubby.
We did not have breakfast the following day as we were leaving but were pleased that we could have takem this in our room if needed.
I must say we had a recomendation to use a local restaurant for dinner which was extremely good.
Overall I appreciate we did not pay a fortune for the room but we expected it to be a bit nicer.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bbater
Mildura, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

Very clean, great value and great service. The room was very nice and the garden a great place to sit and have a read. The breakfast was great and just what I needed before a long walk on the White Cliffs. I would certainly visit Number 1 again the next time I'm in Dover.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

We were delighted with this B&B! Margaret was very kind and helpful, the garden is lovely and the room was clean and very comfortable, for a very cheap price. The breakfast was absolutely delightful, extremely varied, and we couldn't eat half of it! If I go back to Dover, it will definitely be my first choice for a B&B.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

Due to M25 motorway traffic delays we arrived later than we had stated. Margaret (the owner) stayed up until gone midnight to check us in. The garage parking was a real bonus as we had a boot full of goodies for our property in France. Breakfast was served in our room which saved getting presentable and meant we could relax before our ferry departed. Overall a welcome B&B and would recommened for that pre ferry stopover.

Thanks

Lauren

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LDavies1966
Wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

A very poor guest house. We were greated by the owners requesting an extra £2.00 to park our car after a 350 mile drive, we were then told that, by the owners, lastminute.com should not have reserved this 3 bedroom as it should have been more expensive, (i don't think so), very poor room, en-suite very poor standard, very, very poor breakfast.

Worth about £30.00 per room per night.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WalesDom
bigbrotherDover, Owner at Number One Guest House, responded to this review, 14 December 2010
This reservation was made through an online agency that does not provide a means to pay for
or advise us you require secure garage parking, therefore payment for garage parking has to be made upon arrival as stated on our website. We are only advised of your name and type of room you reserved yourself online. We are not advised of your arrival time and have no means of contacting you should the need arise. Obviously from your harsh review, the payment of £2 (note we normally charge £3) after your trip down from Chester Dom was too much to bear and we are sorry this additional, normally welcome peace of mind expense spoiled your stay in Dover.

I hope to see you again in the future.