“Great food by the sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Arlington West Bistro - CLOSED

The Arlington West Bistro
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: A small Bistro seating up to 25 people, fully licenced. Very close to Dover Port, opposite the marina on slip road.A warm friendly service with good home cooked food.
London, United Kingdom
“Great food by the sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

We went to this restaurant after looking online for some advice (on tripadvisor of all places!) after visiting Dover Castle. It proudly displayed its excellent rating on tripadvisor on its front window, so I set myself some high expectations.

The restaurant wasn't huge - probably enough for 28 seats - and seemed to be a family-run place. When we were told that there was a party of 16 coming in shortly, I expected some delays with our food.

The menu was full of goodies and we found it hard to choose just one thing. I went for a burger - 'The Towering Inferno' (without pork, which they happily changed for me), with some beer-battered on the side. My friends both went for the beer-battered cod and chips, with one ordering a starter of buttery shrimps on toast. The food arrived much quicker than expected - we were on to main courses within 45 minutes.

The food was excellent. Portions are generous, so if you're not feeling hungry, I'd stick to mains and maybe a side to share. The fish was fresh. The onion rings were a little greasy but were crispy and obviously fried in fresh oil, which was great to see on a Sunday. The buttery shrimps were perhaps a little too buttery but were, in the words of my friend, "really delicious". The fish came served with home-made tartare sauce and chips.

The restaurant is well-located - quick drive from Dover town centre, by the waterfront - and the owner accommodated all of our requests. Parking out side is restricted to an hour between 10:00 and 17:30 (I think!) so if you park just outside, do make sure you're on the lookout or you're ready to move after an hour.

I'll definitely visit again when I'm next in Dover. You can expect to pay about £12-20 per person depending on your order. My only (mild) complaint was that the diet coke was a little flat. Everything else was *superb*.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank TooManyNotes

Dover, United Kingdom
“Excellent food & Friendly Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Had lunch and dinner here two weeks apart. On both occasions the staff were very friendly and the food was very good quality with the portions being more than ample. A quiet location off the beaten track but well worth looking for. Highly highly recommended.

• Visited July 2012
Dover, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Lovely staff and good value food. Wonderful atmosphere. Well worth a visit. Will be going again soon

Visited June 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We have just returned from an absolutely fantastic meal at the Arlington West. The lady serving was really friendly and the overall experience very enjoyable. The portion sizes for the burgers are extremely generous. If ever we are in Dover again we will definitely go back. It's just a shame the place was quiet when we were there but the music created a good atmosphere!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Anonom1
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Absolutely fantastic, lovely food and great service definately recommend to everyone