“Disappointment”

Blakes of Dover Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 170 Restaurants in Dover
Price range: US$4 - US$22
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub, International
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: hotel,Bistro also down stairs cellar bar with selection of ales and ciders and a selection of malt whisky's
Dover, United Kingdom
“Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Sadly this was not the Wine Bar/Restaurant I regularly used some years ago. In those days Lunchtime trade was a feature with a most hospitable host, an eccentric Irishman & his wife.
Todays' establishment lacks any atmosphere. Service was slow, to the extent that I only bothered to have a Pint one recent evening.

• Visited November 2013

• Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
“The only place to eat in Dover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I made a day trip with a friend to Dover on Bank Holiday Monday 5 May 2014 to visit the Castle. We wanted to eat and between Dover Priory Station and Castle Street we saw nowhere. So, Blake's was a welcome relief. The restaurant is cosy and old-fashioned, there's no haute-cuisine but very honest home cooked food which is tasty and not over priced. The lemon sole was excellent though I've no idea why the prawns that sat on top were termed "angry prawns" - they looked pretty docile to me! The sweets were not, the member of staff who served us admitted, home made but they were top of the range. I was rather embarrassed paying by card that an option to leave a tip didn't appear because I would have left more than our combined change could provide.

• Visited May 2014
dover
“Great food and value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We visited Blakes after a busy and stressful day out.
We were pleasantly greeted,after sitting for a few minutes,fresh bread was given and a drinks order taken,our food order taken shortly after.
Food was delicious and a decent size portion too,the wine was very nice too.
My only criticism was I ordered a starter which never came which was disappointing as my boyfriend and I were the only couple in the restaurant.
Great place for the summer due to a beer garden and great for 'off the cuff' dinner out.

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely restaurant and nice cellar bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We were staying at a b&b close to Blakes and they recommended this restaurant.

We had dinner in the restaurant then went downstairs to the cellar bar. They serve food in the cellar bar and we would have preferred to have eaten here rather than above in the restaurant. So check out both.

The service was quick, the staff friendly. The food was good - I had fish and chips - and not expensive. We sat at a table in the corner close to the bar. For 2 it was OK but would have been a bit cramped if 4 people wanted to sit at the table.

The cellar bar was pleasant and the beer OK. Nice place for a drink.

So nothing wrong but nothing special.

• Visited April 2014
“The only place open, and was great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We went to visit the dover castle and after the visit we were walking around looking for some restaurant in dover and everywhere was closed, finally we found this pub that has a nice atmosphere downstairs, nice beers, and the food is very tasty, i had a great steak and my girlfriend had a very tasty lamb shank, the brie as starter was nice too, the waiter very friendly. Lucky time!