“Avoid if you have a disability or you like good food.”

The Seaview Bar & Restaurant @ The Sir Stanley Gray PBH
Ranked #30 of 204 Restaurants in Ramsgate
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 September 2010

As the 'restaurant' for a 3 star hotel it is extremely disappointing.
This pub is small, noisey and the food is piled high, scolding hot and not very nice. There are 2 big steps down from the street which is narrow and virtually on a blind bend.
1 disabled space in a 60 space car park
Best advice go next door to the Bell Vue.

Reviewed 4 July 2010

If this is the No. 1 restaurant in Ramsgate, it doesn't bode well for the rest.
First, I can't fault the service. I can fault the woman ordering ahead of me, who inquired at length about the menu for the NEXT day. With only one person behind the bar, I waited several minutes and she never even ordered a drink.

Anyway, crevettes were on the specials board as a starter. I asked how many crevettes came on the plate. Hmmm... 5 or 6, I think. I ordered two portions on one plate, a large glass of white and a side salad. £19.95.

Well, the answer to the question was 4. The chap who brought my food thought the portion was a bit meagre for the price and went to the kitchen to investigate. He came back somewhat embarrassed and offered me a free drink, but I was driving and declined.

I was reminded of the Woody Allen joke: The Jewish man in the restaurant says, "This food is terrible." His wife says, "Yes, and the portions are so small!" I assumed, as the crevettes were on the specials board, they would be fresh. They weren't, or they had just been boiled to death. They were very hot and juicy when peeled, but the flesh was bone dry.

I went to the Bellevue pub next door and had a shrimp cocktail for half the price. The shrimps were succulent and plentiful. They have a very nice terrace with a view of the power station cooling towers.

The Sit Stanley Gray Pub has a terrace, but it was busy with a wedding party. Really, I wouldn't return to either place. I might try the Bon Appetite, which at least IS in Ramsgate and should have a view of the harbour, judging from its position.

2  Thank freelunchLondon
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I found this pub on "Tripadvisor" . We were on a visit from Maidstone so we didn't need to go in the hotel. Although if I needed to stay somewhere ,then this would be it. The pub food was excellent, home cooked pub grub. Staff were very friendly which created a great atmosphere. A good selection of beers. The three of us had main meals and sweet course . Average cost £14 each. Good value considering I had a Rib-eye steak cooked perfectly , and a excellent cheese platter after . Just by chance it happened to be a quiz night so we joined in. Pity the pubs so far away from us as I would certainly make this my local.

Reviewed 22 February 2010

We stayed at the hotel and attended the new year dinner and dance. Luckily the food was lovely as the entertainment was dire! But I got the impression from the way the off duty manager was running round trying to solve the problem that the singer hired for the evening wasn't up to their usual standards.

Reviewed 13 October 2009

A real pub in terms of atmosphere and decor, plus a sea view. A full pub grub menu of starters, main courses and desserts, with additional daily specials on the blackboard. 4 real ales generally available, including the local brewer Gadds, which makes a pleasant change from Shepherd Neame that dominates Kent pubs.

There seems to be an outside terrace as well, which would be great for enjoying the sea view but as i've not been there in the height of summer i can't confirm this.

The pub has a pool table and dart board to pass the time if you want, but these are separate from the bar and dining seating area so are not intrusive. The last time I ate there we were treated to an impromptu but gentle performance by a couple of guitarists.

If you are staying at the adjacent hotel you can charge your bar bill to the room, which is very handy. The hotel has ample parking that bar customers may also use. Pegwell doesn't have many other places to eat and drink, so its good that the Sir Stanley Gray is up to scratch.