“Good Guest Accommodation with Sea View!”

Spencer Court Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Ramsgate
London, United Kingdom
“Good Guest Accommodation with Sea View!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

I stayed at the Spencer Court Hotel for 1 week in September. I was very impressed by the standard of accommodation (sea view!), location and service. The Breakfast was delicious full English unlike some other hotels in the area which serve only continental breakfast.

I was also impressed by the very modest room charge which was the best I could get for my limited budget at the time of booking. I will certainly recommend the hotel to those who are looking for value for money and do not want to pay over the top for B & B

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
St Ives, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Despite it being nearly a year since my visit, the memories are unforgetable! Yes it may be the cheapest option if you are stuck, £35, but book three weeks in advance at the clean, friendly Travel Lodge on the sea front for just £19 per night! (Recently opened, otherwise I would definitely have been there instead.)
When I arrived at the Spencer Court, it was in complete darkness. Eventually someone shuffled up to let me in, pushed a form in my hand and demanded the money. Had I seen the cramped room first, no way would I have stayed. It was on the ground floor and when I drew back the curtains to open the window to relieve the smell, there was a brick wall covering the whole window. This person's accomodation had been built onto the back, so I had the pleasure of her TV all night through a door in the corner of my room. The ceiling fan did not work. There were used milk sachets, -the only full one was sour and congealed, the tooth mug had not been washed, the bedside tables had cup ring marks..etc.etc. ....... Where was the advertised hair dryer, wi-fi, the restaurant ? - (it was cold and evening when I arrived after a long journey and I did not want the walk into town, so remained hungry as there was no facility for even a biscuit)
Breakfast presented the cheapest cornflakes, white cardboard bread and was generally inedible. It materialised that I was the only guest (what a surprise!) , so this person was not exactly rushed off her feet and why could I not have a more spacious upstairs room with a window and a view?
i have travelled extensively, internationally, and yet this 'hotel' still gets my award for the worst ever experienced!

Room Tip: Just walk down the hill to the centrally located Travel Lodge.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank hdvyn

Travellers are raving about these Ramsgate hotels

wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

I stayed here whilst working in the town, the plus sides are that it has a good location and is cheap. On the down side, the breakfast did not start until 8am, (though a takeout was offered on our last night,)the beds were not made nor the towels changed during our 4 night stay, no hot water in the bedroom wash basin, and the tv`s giving up in both our rooms on the last night.The single room had was not en-suite( I Was Not told this whilst Booking) but had a compact shower room across the hall, which was designed for people under 5`5" only.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tupelo70
Suffolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Spencer Court has had a lot of negative reviews, but I really enjoyed my stay. Yes it's basic & could do with a lick of paint, but it was quiet, in a lovely position (I had a sea view, woot!) and I've a soft spot for dated decor! Plus breakfast was fine and the staff were lovely. The plumbing can be a bit dodgy (yes, the loos sometimes take a couple of flushes but hey people, take responsible for your own ****!) but my room / bedding etc were scrupulously clean.

The only comment is that I thought all the bedrooms were en-suite. The singles aren't (or at least mine wasn't) - and it'd be nice if this was made clear on the website. But maybe I missed it.

So, no I wouldn't choose it to celebrate a special anniversary but as a basic, no frills but friendly hotel it hits the spot. And, if economy is your priority, it's more than adequate.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Having read the reviews (after I'd booked!) I wasn't expecting much, which was just as well!
The bed was clean and the room had a ceiling fan - that's the positives.
The loo and shower were filthy I doubt if they have been cleaned for a very long time, shower door broken and half substituted by a filthy curtain. I stayed several nights (no choice as I had already paid and was on a budget), my room was not serviced ONCE in all the time I was there - so still no cleaning done and no coffee top up after the first supply. Breakfast was okay but everything looked and felt grubby (crockery & cutlery & table mats). I can't imagine any repeat business going on unless someone is really stuck!
It is such a waste of what could be a lovely hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

Arriving at the hotel, the welcome was very pleasant, check in was also smooth and easy.
The room i stayed in was very comfortable, clean and tidy and the bathroom was very clean.
I had no problems at all and when i needed anything, i asked and was provided with it.
The breakfast was superb. The location is also ideal as it was close to the town and harbour where there are good bars and restaurants and i could easily go to a tennis court right across the road. Overall it is a nice bed&breakfast hotel and good value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

We stayed in the room with a seaview. The room was traditionally decorated and even though dated, was neat and clean with a balcony, flat screen (playing IPOD) and WiFi facilities. The Staff was exceptionally friendly and the kids helped themselves to an array of complimentary sweets and drinks at the newly refurbished guest lounge.

We could not believe the breakfast menu, cooked to specification (11 courses). It was the most affordable B & B in the area and we really felt at home. If you have a fixed budget and looking for warmth and friendly atmosphere, this is where to go.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family