“Good location but otherwise......”

Spencer Court Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Ramsgate
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Re: Spencer Court Hotel, Ramsgate. My wife and I stayed at the "Hotel" (actually B&B establishment, no restaurant apart from breakfast and no bar) on the nights of 5th and 6th July, 2013. We were allocated the ground floor room, which was clean, very small and suffered from having a door leading to a rear extension from the hotel which was not in any way soundproofed; we could hear conversations through this door with no difficulty at all. Very little space for unpacking or storing clothes. The room window opened onto a very small space between the before mentioned extension and our window and could not be secured even though there were three catches on the window. It was a warm period when we stayed and the ceiling fan did not work. Bed was small but comfortable, personally I would prefer an establishment that provided a sheet to go over one as well as a duvet. The bathroom appeared to have been recently updated but there was no hot water obtainable at the washbasin hot tap, the washbasin had a very large star crack in it's bowl; the shower water heater leaked copiously from behind it's covering, but otherwise the shower was OK. Breakfast was good but the coffee rather weak! Note if you are told breakfast is from eight to nine o'clock do not believe this on Sunday mornings when it is 8.30 to 9.30 but no one informed us of this. Reception was otherwise efficient. The establishment had a rather run down air and but for it's location I am sure one could do better.

Room Tip: Insist on a "sea view" this should enable you to avoid the ground floor room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HOPPY22_10
There are newer reviews for Spencer Court Hotel

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I have stayed in many hostels and cheap hotels while backpacking in Asia and I have never found such a filthy room as the one we got at Spencer Court hotel. I don´t mind so much the fact that it was really dated and in bad need of reburbishment. I didn´t even mind that the window didn´t close properly and it could not be closed securely. I didn´t mind the small shower and tiny toilet.. What really was shocking was the amount of filth we found in the room: nail clippings, hair everywhere and bird droppings by the side of the bed! And this is no joke! What was a joke was the £70 we paid for the night. Apart from the filth, the wifi was rubbish. This is meant to be a plus.. but you couldn't connect in the room, and in reception the connection was intermittent.. On the plus side, breakfast was nice.. We just stayed a night, but all in all, it's best to stay away, or stay at your own risk...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LonPaulG13
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I can honestly say this is one of the worse places I have stayed in. I can't understand why it is called a hotel it is more like a B&B. The whole place smelt damp as we walked in but I did hope that things would improve, they didn't. Our room was smelly cold and dirty, I am not sure what was in one of the drawers but it looked like a tin of tobacco had been tipped in there. Luckily we didn't have many clothes to hang up as there were only about five hangers in the room. The bedding was old, faded and the sheets didn't fit the bed I think the elastic had gone. They smelt like they had been sprayed with fabreeze. There was no heating until 17.30 which was far too late when you wanted to get ready to go out early especially in freezing temperatures. I just changed my jumper in the end as the thought of a complete change in that cold room was unbearable. My husband had a brainwave and we spent about 15 minutes huddled around my hair dryer on the highest setting! The en suite followed character with the room and was dirty and smelly with not much hot water I declined the use of the shower,
Jane the manageress was lovely, she was chatty and helped us find a road we wanted to visit on a map that she had and she copied a piece of the map so that we could take it with us. I am not a lover of fried breakfast but there wasn't much choice, I think the milk was UHT which smelt horrible so I couldn't have cereal or tea, Having said that the fried breakfast was to order and it was nice. I was pleased to leave that place and take my chances driving home in the snow.

2  Thank Lyn O
Reviewed 25 March 2013

From the moment you pull up ( if you can find a parking space) the place looks dated and tired. The lady who met us ( Jane) was nice and friendly enough and showed us up to our room. The room was very tired, smelt and was not cleaned properly. Probably the worst aspect was that despite the outside temperature hovering around freezing there was no heating on in the room. The windows overlooking the square were letting in gale force winds and the curtains blew around when closed!The heating eventually came on in the room around 17.30 but did not come on in the morning and yet the other radiators downstairs including the Breakfast Room were hot. The water to the sink can only be described as lukewarm and the Shower did work well but the shower itself was filthy . The shelves were all falling off or at best were held on with mouldy silicone. The bedding didn't match anything and when you turned over in the night the bottom sheet and mattress protector went with you as they did not fit the bed.
There are tea making facilities in the room but none of the crockery matched and although there were two of us in the room there was one tea bag and one packet of sugar and no milk!
Breakfast was good if you like a full English which was all freshly cooked and plenty for the day.
The WiFi never worked at all and no one seemed to be able to explain how it worked as the codes did not match what was available.
All in all this place can only be described as sub standard for 2013 and neither of us believed that places like this existed in this day and age especially at £70 a night its a disgrace. The place needs a complete makeover and modernising. As a large family we are planning to regularly meet in Ramsgate but none of will be staying here again.

1  Thank steveo56
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Great location for me, 5 minutes walk to the harbour, sandy beach and town centre . Also close to Kent Maston Airport where I needed to take a flight. Very friendly and helpful staff. Room was clean and tidy with flat screen, but can do with more equipment. Price was excellent considering location.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Potential to be a nice hotel, being in nice old building and with good views, but needs a lot of money spent on it. Friendly welcome with tea and coffee, but both so weak, virtually tasteless. Current manager say been there four years, but we felt they'd only been there four days since apparently overwhelmed. Shame since lovely lady. More confident over breakfast, but the toast wasn't even cooked properly, bacon tough and got one out of two orders wrong. Nice orange juice - after a good stir!
Very dated decor eg pink and flowery with over bed surround: could ditch the dusty ugly ornaments which must have been there since previous owners set up nearly 30 years ago. Dirty shower/toilet room floor...especially in corners. Basin in bedroom. Smelt musty in lounge, bedroom smelt strongly of fabric softener which permeated my clothes too. Sticky coasters and rubbish on bedside table, so cleaning definitely not thorough.
Basement breakfast room fine but suggest tablecloths or bare wood rather than the tacky plastic dolphin table mats.
It was cheap though at £50 for possibly the best double room which had clean but worn sheets and a lovely bay window.
Good investment for someone to take on and improve?

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The hotel was basic with dated furniture, bedding and decor. The room had not been hoovered and the sink/shower unit dirty. The shower was broken - when I attempted to turn it on, the water ran out of the eletric shower unit/box so I had to use the communal shower! The breakfast room was dark and dingy and I struggled to eat from the cereal bowls, cutlery etc. The quality of the food was basic.
I chose this hotel because it was close to the start of the Thanet 20 mile race I had entered and on a positive note, the staff and manager kindly allowed me to keep the room on until after my run on the day I checked out so that I could have a shower and get changed.
I do not understand how this hotel can have a 3 star rating.