“"Shambles"”

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Ramsgate
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“"Shambles"”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed at the Spencer court, for a weekend break and wedding reception (in ramsgate) On arrival we where told that we would be in the "Attic" Because an other guest was going in there but refused (dont blame him) for that we where only charged £120 instead of £140 (1 of the good things) The room being in the Attic was low and as i am 6ft 3 i kept banging my head, The double bed was actually two twin beds pushed together, and the supposed to be "En suite bathroom" was actually down the allful and very dangerous stairs, anyone with a suit case wont make it up there. No hot water in the tiny sink in the bedroom or in the bathroom just a small trickle from the bedroom sink from the hot water put cold, the hot water boiler by the side was broken. The Decor was awful our bedroom door was art ex and matched the walls. Also there was a Disgusting smell, which to be honest smelt of urine. The Bathroom was about 3ft wide and to be honest you could not swing a cat in there, so to try and get dressed after a shower would be near on impossible We were offered other accommodation by a guest at the wedding reception, So came back to the "Digs" to try and negotiate but Jane was not there!! The only other good point was the Breakfast, however the cutlery was dirty, This Hotel According to my Girlfriend needs Shutting down, Personally i would report it to ABTA/ATOL Ramsgate tourist board and Gordon ramseys Hotels from Hell !!

Room Tip: Dont bother with Spencer court its not a Hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suecoles52

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I booked this 'hotel' for a family group with young children & was very specific when I spoke to the staff prior to booking to ensure that all rooms were e suite & was assured that they were, but on arrival I found that one of the family rooms did not have e suite facilities. This room was for use by my son & his family who have a young child who would possibly need the use of toilet facilities at night. No explanation was offered & no apology either. The decor of the 'hotel' left much to be desired with wallpaper peeling off the walls & electrics that were extremely out of date! The ensuite in my double room was clean but with cold water only. Bedding extremely out of date & didn't feel clean & fresh at all. Breakfast was ok but the table mats were filthy & extremely sticky & the high chair for my granddaughter was a disgrace & my daughter-in-law had to clean it herself. On checkout I raised my concerns & was met with 'I'm only the receptionist, I'll let the manager know'. I'm sure I know where my comments remained. Wi-fi non existent! Would rather sleep on the beach next time!

Room Tip: Don't stay in any room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Fraenulum

Travellers are raving about these Ramsgate hotels

England
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Re: Spencer Court Hotel, Ramsgate. My wife and I stayed at the "Hotel" (actually B&B establishment, no restaurant apart from breakfast and no bar) on the nights of 5th and 6th July, 2013. We were allocated the ground floor room, which was clean, very small and suffered from having a door leading to a rear extension from the hotel which was not in any way soundproofed; we could hear conversations through this door with no difficulty at all. Very little space for unpacking or storing clothes. The room window opened onto a very small space between the before mentioned extension and our window and could not be secured even though there were three catches on the window. It was a warm period when we stayed and the ceiling fan did not work. Bed was small but comfortable, personally I would prefer an establishment that provided a sheet to go over one as well as a duvet. The bathroom appeared to have been recently updated but there was no hot water obtainable at the washbasin hot tap, the washbasin had a very large star crack in it's bowl; the shower water heater leaked copiously from behind it's covering, but otherwise the shower was OK. Breakfast was good but the coffee rather weak! Note if you are told breakfast is from eight to nine o'clock do not believe this on Sunday mornings when it is 8.30 to 9.30 but no one informed us of this. Reception was otherwise efficient. The establishment had a rather run down air and but for it's location I am sure one could do better.

Room Tip: Insist on a "sea view" this should enable you to avoid the ground floor room
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HOPPY22_10
Tottenham, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I have stayed in many hostels and cheap hotels while backpacking in Asia and I have never found such a filthy room as the one we got at Spencer Court hotel. I don´t mind so much the fact that it was really dated and in bad need of reburbishment. I didn´t even mind that the window didn´t close properly and it could not be closed securely. I didn´t mind the small shower and tiny toilet.. What really was shocking was the amount of filth we found in the room: nail clippings, hair everywhere and bird droppings by the side of the bed! And this is no joke! What was a joke was the £70 we paid for the night. Apart from the filth, the wifi was rubbish. This is meant to be a plus.. but you couldn't connect in the room, and in reception the connection was intermittent.. On the plus side, breakfast was nice.. We just stayed a night, but all in all, it's best to stay away, or stay at your own risk...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LonPaulG13
North Somerset England
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I can honestly say this is one of the worse places I have stayed in. I can't understand why it is called a hotel it is more like a B&B. The whole place smelt damp as we walked in but I did hope that things would improve, they didn't. Our room was smelly cold and dirty, I am not sure what was in one of the drawers but it looked like a tin of tobacco had been tipped in there. Luckily we didn't have many clothes to hang up as there were only about five hangers in the room. The bedding was old, faded and the sheets didn't fit the bed I think the elastic had gone. They smelt like they had been sprayed with fabreeze. There was no heating until 17.30 which was far too late when you wanted to get ready to go out early especially in freezing temperatures. I just changed my jumper in the end as the thought of a complete change in that cold room was unbearable. My husband had a brainwave and we spent about 15 minutes huddled around my hair dryer on the highest setting! The en suite followed character with the room and was dirty and smelly with not much hot water I declined the use of the shower,
Jane the manageress was lovely, she was chatty and helped us find a road we wanted to visit on a map that she had and she copied a piece of the map so that we could take it with us. I am not a lover of fried breakfast but there wasn't much choice, I think the milk was UHT which smelt horrible so I couldn't have cereal or tea, Having said that the fried breakfast was to order and it was nice. I was pleased to leave that place and take my chances driving home in the snow.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lyn O
cider country
Reviewed 25 March 2013

From the moment you pull up ( if you can find a parking space) the place looks dated and tired. The lady who met us ( Jane) was nice and friendly enough and showed us up to our room. The room was very tired, smelt and was not cleaned properly. Probably the worst aspect was that despite the outside temperature hovering around freezing there was no heating on in the room. The windows overlooking the square were letting in gale force winds and the curtains blew around when closed!The heating eventually came on in the room around 17.30 but did not come on in the morning and yet the other radiators downstairs including the Breakfast Room were hot. The water to the sink can only be described as lukewarm and the Shower did work well but the shower itself was filthy . The shelves were all falling off or at best were held on with mouldy silicone. The bedding didn't match anything and when you turned over in the night the bottom sheet and mattress protector went with you as they did not fit the bed.
There are tea making facilities in the room but none of the crockery matched and although there were two of us in the room there was one tea bag and one packet of sugar and no milk!
Breakfast was good if you like a full English which was all freshly cooked and plenty for the day.
The WiFi never worked at all and no one seemed to be able to explain how it worked as the codes did not match what was available.
All in all this place can only be described as sub standard for 2013 and neither of us believed that places like this existed in this day and age especially at £70 a night its a disgrace. The place needs a complete makeover and modernising. As a large family we are planning to regularly meet in Ramsgate but none of will be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steveo56
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Great location for me, 5 minutes walk to the harbour, sandy beach and town centre . Also close to Kent Maston Airport where I needed to take a flight. Very friendly and helpful staff. Room was clean and tidy with flat screen, but can do with more equipment. Price was excellent considering location.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business