“Don't go.”

Marmalade
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Ordered a pot of tea and a diet Coca Cola. Served by an orange lady who was unfriendly. The tea set was all a mismatch. She said she's not sure they have diet cola. Served my tea without a sugarpot then when I asked for one was given a rusty yellow tin with a few sugar lumps and no tong to pick the sugar out. I served myself the tea and asked my friend to confirm what I suspected-salty tea. So grossed out. The worst experience of a teashop ever.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Went there last Saturday for lunch, very friendly atmosphere, Food was lovely, Staff very helpful and friendly, will defiantly go back again when i am in town. Kickerkeal i was in there 1.30-2.45 and there was plenty of people in there then.and they certainly didn't have time to dust the shelves while i was there..

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Love the atmosphere here.. Great food and drinks.. Staff make you feel welcome. Lovely little sun trap in garden.. And a real fire inside.. What more could you want :)

1  Thank salhasto
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We were in the area for the airshow on Saturday and we walked past the Marmalade Cafe mid-afternoon looking for somewhere to get a decent sandwich as we were dining later on. We decided to go in and immediately we should have realised things wouldn't be up to much as we were the only ones in there apart from a loud American! We ordered a pot of tea for two and two cappuccinos and four sandwiches (one tuna and mayo, one "marmalade honey roast ham" and two cheese and pickle). The drinks arrived, the tea was okay but the cappuccinos were awful! The sandwiches arrived one at a time over a period of about 20 minutes and were accompanied by side salads covered in pepper!! After another 15 minutes a basket of sad looking (and horrible tasting) crisps arrived. During our time there we watched one member of staff cleaning the shelves in the cafe and then start cleaning the mirror above the fire... Surely this is a job that should be done before opening or after closing?? Another couple of customers came in and ordered scones or cake I believe. One of the staff took a cake stand off the shelves she had been cleaning and proceeded to wipe around the cake stand with her hand, I presume to get rid of any dust, and the started putting cakes on it! It felt generally dirty... The table we had felt greasy and dirty and when I looked at the cake stands on the counter, with the glass/plastic covers, they could have done with a very good clean. For £5 for a sandwich I would expect a lot better quality bread and ham, I certainly wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it... If I could give less than a 1 I would!

3  Thank Rachael J
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Gorgeous decor, and good for tea and cake, but a rather frustrating lunchtime experience.

A request for olives as an appetiser resulted in a free but weird offering of three sweet biscuits.

The home-made salmon and horseradish quiche was delicious but the salad was a bit tired and skimpy. If there had been some salad potatoes alongside, that would have made a decent lunch, but the only remedy was to have dessert - pancakes - and one plate was served about 10 minutes after the first.

We were told they were rushed off their feet - but the place appeared to be empty. So overall it was a rather frustrating experience.

But - the decor and furnishings are delightful, and we had the price of our drinks knocked off the bill - without asking - because of the delays.

A good place for tea and cake, but maybe not for lunch.

2  Thank Ffoodie