Royal Harbour Hotel
US$141
  • Breakfast included
US$104
Priceline
The Falstaff, Ramsgate(Ramsgate)(Great Value!)
US$142
The Oak Hotel(Ramsgate)(Great Value!)
US$101
  • Beachfront
Pegwell Bay Hotel(Ramsgate)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$85
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Ramsgate Seafront(Ramsgate)(Great Value!)
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
The Yarrow Hotel(Broadstairs)
US$141
US$127
1,172 results
All reviewshonesty barrecord playerroyal harbourcheese and biscuitsopen firecabin roomempire roomquirky hoteltop floorcheeseboardempire restaurantreal firesmallest bathroomboard gamessmoked salmonpublic roomsfull english
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at the Royal Harbour Hotel for a get-away-from-it-all break to recharge my batteries, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it exceeded my expectations. It occupies a quiet Georgian terrace, high above the harbour, yet within 5 minutes walk of the town centre. I initially stayed in Room 16, which enjoyed a charming sea-front balcony, and came equipped with surprising luxuries such as a Nespresso machine (which I, alas, never quite figured out how to use), and a range of books (from such diverse authors as Jean-Paul Sartre and Lawrence Durrell). The bathroom is small, but the owners make no pretence that it was not (a tongue-in-cheek notice, on the door, welcoming you to 'The smallest bathroom in the world'). Unfortunately, due to a booking mix up (which I could have rectified before I arrived, if I had had enough sense to check the booking confirmation) meant that I had to change rooms after 2 days, to a smaller, single, room, higher up. The case was, helpfully, moved for me. This room was also very comfortable, although much smaller. My only word of criticism for this second room was that the window could not be opened; however, a fan was provided, and the management were arranging for the damage to be repaired after my departure.

The public rooms are incredibly comfortable and relaxing, with a below-market-price honesty bar, two roaring log fires (lovely on a cold March evening), many books and games, a Mac for guest use, and a wide-screen television. In the evening, a free cheese board was provided. It is one of the few occasions when I have felt truly relaxed, and comfortable, in a hotel public area.

The breakfast is little short of sumptuous; a wide buffet selection of warm pastries, cold meat, smoked salmon, cheese, waffles, brioche, yoghurt, mini cup-cakes, fruit (fresh and dried), and cereals. A hot breakfast is also provided for those that wish; I only had poached and scrambled eggs, and both were cooked very well.

As with any hotel, there is light and dark, so what were my criticisms? Very few, to be fair. The faulty window (which is being repaired), the small bathrooms (which were perfectly adequate even if you did have to pay attention than might be usual to moving around therein), and - although it was very comfortable - the 4 poster bed in Room 16 did rather dominate the room, meaning that the television was partly obscured. Perhaps this lovely bed would be best utilised in another room? However, these are all minor points. The experience was wonderful, and I hope to repeat it again in the foreseeable future. Please do not pay too much attention to the negative reviews; please do bear in mind that the rooms are not voluminous, and simply enjoy the experience for what it is; a charming, relaxing, superior, guesthouse/hotel.

Room Tip: Room 16 has a charming balcony overlooking the harbour.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Really nice hotel, booked the Royal Harbour Suite as was a last minute thing and either this or the cabin double left which sounded a bit too cosy! This is separate from the main hotel but only a few metres away so no problem. Was lucky with parking as there weren't any spaces but as we did a second sweep someone left a space. The room was amazing and well worth the premium, massive, but still cosy, the room has its own fire, a 32" tv in the bedroom, a tv in the shower and the most amazingly comfortable bed, I didn't want to leave. Thanks for a great stay, the only issue I might have had was the parking!

Room Tip: Go for the suites, the premium really is a true upgrade!
1  Thank James M
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We are Pugin fans and came on this visit to look at The Grange and St Augustines which are quite close to the Hotel. We were given a warm and friendly welcome when we arrived. Our room was small but clean and the minute shower room worked for us. we had a spectacular view of the Harbour and the bay. Dinner in the dining downstairs was tasty and good value for money, especially the very large glasses of wine. We loved the Pugin trail which we got from the local tourist office. We would come again.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Myself and my husband stayed for only one night at this lovely hotel overlooking the harbour. You couldn't get a better position. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The breakfast was extensive and we will definitely be back.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed here for one night to attend a family celebration. The staff were all friendly and efficient and made us feel very welcome. Access to our room was via several flights of stairs so we appreciated the help with our case. Our room was on the small side and didn't have a sea view but it was very clean and comfortable. The bedding and towels were spotless and of good quality. The tea and coffee facilities were good but plugging the kettle in under the table could prove challenging for some guests. The facilities downstairs were very pleasant with log fires, magazines and an enormous record collection with a turntable for guests to use. There was also a separate TV lounge with log fire as well. The hotel operates an honesty bar in the lounge and in the evening served complimentary cheese and biscuits. The cheeseboard was impressive with a wide variety of cheeses on offer but unfortunately we were so full from the family meal we had attended we couldn't find room to sample any! Breakfast was very relaxed and offered a generous variety including all of the usual of options for continental or full English breakfast taste. The hotel provides a good base to explore the area. Well done to the owners and staff for giving us such a warm welcome. The weather was absolutely fantastic and we were even able to sit outside in front of the hotel and soak up the sun in March!

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view tend to be very small but probably better than overlooking the rear of the hotel. The stairs are quite steep so may be an issue for guests with mobility issues.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family