“fun for the little ones but dont expect to much.”
Review of The Boating Pool

The Boating Pool
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Ok, sun was out and remembering the great laughs I had as a child at the boating pool all those years ago I thought it would be a great idea to take my kids to enjoy the pedlos, as soon as we arrived it was like stepping back in time as nothing had changed at all! And that's not some old saying, really... Nothing had changed! Started off with some food in the cafe, and I was fully aware of what to expect food wise but the price of it was horrendous for what they served up! There certainly wasn't any beef in that burger, wasn't hot and had just been thrown on a plate. Best to stay clear of the hot food but the ice creams later where spot on. Off out to the pedlos £2 per person which isn't bad as didn't have a time period as I'm assuming it was because it wasn't that busy. Can get expensive when you get out to enjoy the kids electric ride on cars and then head back and have to pay again but I'm not complaining, the cost is minimal. This place could be an even better day out if they invested some of that revenue from the cafe, maybe a touch of paint might brighten the place up but I suppose why would they if it's not really going to attract more business and they certainly can't put the food prices up any more lol. All in all not bad, it is what it is and if you don't expect to much then your have a great fun day with the kids.

2  Thank Stevelawrence84

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I haven't been here since it was taken over a few months ago and is now known as Chunkez Boating Pool.....

Cafe area - the menu choice has gone downhill since I was last here. They'd run out of jacket potatos and also tuna by 12:45. The whole cafeteria area smells badly of fried food and old frying oil and tables left uncleared for over half an hour with the floor covered in food and rubbish. I ordered a cheeseburger and chips for my son. Plenty of chips but they left off the cheese which turned out to be the least of our concerns. But the food was hot and he enjoyed it.

Toilets - Took my little boy to the ladies loos and my god! Disgusting is being kind. I've been to cleaner public loos in third world country bus stations. Please see photos. Broken windows, toilet seats, work top. Filthy floors, no toilet roll and overflowing rubbish bin with no top on. This hadn't just happened in the last 15 minutes judging by the state of it so heaven only knows when it was last checked/cleaned.

Boating Pool.... we went on a pedalo (£2 per person for half hour) which wasn't too bad a price I thought). Pedalo was old and tatty but the guy kindly emptied the water and assured me it didn't leak. So far so good. We saw the Zorbs (big giant bubble a child goes into on the water and is sealed inside to run around like a hamster on a wheel, looked fun) in use and then suddenly all hell let loose from the bank with people yelling and screaming as one of the Zorbs started taking on water and sinking with a little boy inside!! He was obviously sealed in, couldn't get out and was going under. All credit to the pool guy, he jumped right in, unzipped the poor little boy who'd fallen over in the Zorb and was soaking wet from head to toe. When the pool guy came back I said that was scary and he told me they'd only had the equipment for 6months and it all needed checking. Call me old fashioned but shouldn't it all be checked and confirmed as safe BEFORE they seal children inside and push them out onto the water? Drama over, we enjoyed our pedalo ride but I wouldn't dream of ever going in a Zorb myself, let alone putting one of my children in it.

Overall Impression.... Imagine the cast of "Shamless" on a day out. Tattooed beer swilling women screeching at their children, kids kicking the play equipment and scrapping whilst their parents sit drinking and chatting. The good point is that the play area and bouncy castle is free entry and the food was just ok, (nothing special but reasonably priced for what it was) but I'd much rather go somewhere else where the food is better, the place cleaner, where you don't risk catching something from the toilets or your child drowning. I doubt I'll go back and am amazed that if this is the boating pool on a usual day of business that they haven't been shut down.

8  Thank Sara R
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Brilliant afternoon at the boating pool, the zoorbs were brilliant. Food lovely and new management very friendly and welcoming. Nice atmosphere.

5  Thank 317Jol
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Had a lovely Sunny afternoon with family at Ramsgate Boating Pool, Zorbing £3, Pedalo's£2.50 ,Arcade, Play Area which is FREE, nice Latte. Food is good, lovely ice-cream. Very friendly and clean, lots more to look forward to. So Happy it is under new owners as they are very family orientated and so friendly. They also have more plans as the season goes on. Hope they do childrens parties as my niece and nephew loved it nearly as much as me. Will be taking my niece and nephew back there, can't wait :)

3  Thank Desert21
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I'm giving this an "average" rating purely on behalf of my 6-year-old cousin, whereas I would have rated it poor. He enjoyed running around and being a little monkey, he enjoyed playing on the apparatus and myself and my sister taking him around the boating pool on a paddle-boat. He and I were a bit disappointed to find that a £1-per-go electrical go-cart lasted for barely two minutes and I think this is incredibly extortionate for a child who wants to have fun and staff supervision could have been used here. The cafe is fairly priced but there could have been an area where you could collect your order after you've asked for it as the crowding in front of the till to wait is a pain, and I feel the "arcade" at this venue isn't really necessary when there can occasionally be a lack of seating inside on a cold and windy day, so it could be converted. For me, as a history enthusiast, I'd have liked to see some of the Victorian/Edwardian and thirties culture promoted and endorsed a lot more. Upon explaining to my sister and cousin that there was a monkey house in the disused building opposite the cafe, I was told this was untrue. It would be nice to hear more on the history of the building rather than having to speak to local groups. The boating pool could have used a lot of maintenance, during paddling we went round in a tiny circle because of all the gunk from the water, and this mess was everywhere. All in all, I had a lovely day here but I'd just really like to see the history of the area and of the building promoted a lot more.

1  Thank Hollieeee