“Slightly disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Ramsgate
London, United Kingdom
“Slightly disappointed”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I booked this hotel after reading about it on TA using the booking function off this site. We booked two rooms both of which were described as Sea Views. I am not of the opinion that they were. When I opened the curtains my first view was of the car park. Attached is a photo of what I saw when I first looked straight out. If I turned there was a touch more view of the sea but that was then blocked off by a jutting out wall. No one in our group was of the opinion that our rooms possessed sea views (maybe they called be called partial).

I asked reception and they explained it was considered a Seaview. They did seem very keen to help and offered another potential room but when we went to look it turned out to be a level lower and the view of the sea was blocked across by the pub directly across the road. It was explained to get into one of the corner rooms would involve a different tariff which was significantly more than we were paying.

Making the booking there was a problem with getting the credit card payment to go through. Over several phone calls the staff were generally helpful and we finally managed to get the charge to run through. On check out my friends in the 2nd room had their credit card charged even though I had already paid for the rooms. We ended up reversing payments and re-charging. Not the end of the world but frustrating.

More positively -
1. The rooms were nice although the noise does carry particularly from the room above and the hallway - a trait of an older building I guess
2. The bathrooms (and particularly the showers) were really good.
3. The staff seemed keen to provide good service. (having seen that the manager takes the time to respond to nearly all of the reviews this does not surprise me)

Overall, it seemed like a nice hotel; there were just a few small things that - frustratingly detracted from the experience.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the expensive corner ones
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
PegwellBayHotel, General Manager at Pegwell Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us & please accept the delayed response.

The rooms you booked are on the western facing side of the hotel and offer a view of the cliffs, fields and the sea. Whilst they are not directly sea-facing they have been verified by the AA as Sea View. We do have some superior rooms on the corner of the hotel and these have both southerly and western aspects thus giving the best views of both the sea & cliffs.

I apologise for the frustration you experienced with the credit card payment. We have recently instructed our service provider to improve connectivity of our equipment to eradicate such problems which i totally accept can be very frustrating.

I thank you for your positive comments about our staff, rooms and bathrooms. We constantly strive to improve standards and customer service levels and the team are of one accord when it comes to giving our esteemed guests a great experience.

Please do come back and visit us again in the near future.

Alan Moore CBII

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
southend on sea
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We were just at the hotel for one day but long enough to discover how nice the hotel is. The room we had was spacious and clean. The shower was very nice indeed and the beds were soft and lovely. Breakfast was in a beautiful room with sea views. I imagine in the Summer it would be glorious.
Just the one gripe. The door to the hotel is awful for anyone with limited mobility with very nasty steps. The restaurant is in the pub over the road but we had a smashing meal and there was a friendly atmosphere with good service. However the mobility issue raised it's ugly head again. THere are three ways into the pub. Underground from the hotel, a front entry and a side entrance. They all involve quite steep steps.
Apart from that he place is brilliant.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank derek p
PegwellBayHotel, Manager at Pegwell Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Thank you for you recent review, and apologies for the delay in responding to you.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found both the hotel and breakfast rooms to be pleasant.

Thank you for your comments regarding access. This is something that we have been reviewing and are pleased to say that our bar and restaurant area has been granted planning permission for a small extension, within which has been incorporated full disabled access and disabled toilets. This is scheduled to take place towards the end of the year. The Hotel steps unfortunately can prove a difficulty for those with mobility issues, but due to it being a listed building we are limited to the changes we are able to make to the exisitng structure. We do however have a disabled access which is located on the the other side of reception. We also have a help call point which is just to the left of the steps should anyone require assistance. We hope these points will help should you decide to come and stay with us again in the future.

Thank you again for your feed back, and we hope you do come to stay again soon.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Take a lovely building, refurbish it well, keep maintenance up to date, have good housekeepers keeping it clean - many hotels do that. What sets the Pegwell Bay way, way above the rest is that they employ genuinely HAPPY and highly competent staff who delight in helping make your stay more than enjoyable.

Recommend the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast, also the hot ruby grapefruit. Breakfast is cooked to order so is fresh and delicious. Sunday roast dinner is also excellent.

Room Tip: Sea view essential.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent review on our hotel.

As I have said to previous reviewers, we are very proud of the staff we have here and know that they do take genuine delight in ensuring all of our guests recieve the best possible level of service. I am delighted that you have been met with this standard of service and hope we will be welcoming you back to The Pegwell Bay Hotel soon. Once again, thank you for taking the time to leave us some feed back!

Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed here for one night on business after it was recommended to me by a colleague and I'm glad I took his advice.
Right from the offset when I was greeted by an extremely friendly girl at reception and my room, which although wasn't facing the sea (the travel office at work had booked a single room) was still very charming, spotlessly clean and had a lovely bathroom.
The area was really quiet at night even with the window open and as a result I got a great nights sleep.
The breakfast consisted of a very good choice of food, served again by very friendly staff in a pleasant, clean environment. There is also a great view of the bay directly over the road which makes for some nice photographs in the evening.
The hotel has a large car park which is a huge bonus, and in addition there are two nice pubs over the road which serve good food.
The hotel does have a special charm to it but I can't work out what it is. I will definitely be coming back!

Room Tip: If you are travelling alone, if you want a sea view you will need to request a room at the front, ot...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Duststorm
Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feed back on your stay. Apologies for the delay in responding!

We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and found the staff to be friendly and welcoming. We do pride ourselves on the level of service we offer and are pleased you found this to be the case.

We hope to welcome you back if you are visint the area again

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have stayed in this hotel 3 nights a week for the last 5 years whilst on business. It is without doubt the best Hotel in the area. Rooms are all very good and if you get a suite they are excellent. Cleanliness in this hotel is first class. Comfortable rooms with superb showers.
Breakfast is very very good, cooked fresh and served to your table not your usual buffet.
With my job I stay in Hotels all over Europe and the UK from the Hiltons to Hyatts and the occasional broom cupboard and the Pegwell rates very near the top of my list for a small very welcoming hotel. I would not stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Book early this hotel can get very busy
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul F
PegwellBayHotel, Manager at Pegwell Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave such lovely feeed back on our Hotel.

We love to welcome back our regular guests and are really pleased to hear you enjoy coming back to stay.

Becca
ramsgate, kent
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We got married here about 5 months ago and had the most fantastic day. Everything I asked for was done and Becca was amazing! She made the whole day run smoothly. I love the setting of the hotel and overlooking the sea on my wedding day was a great talking point. I also had the bbq option for our meal and it was out of this world. I didn't have much myself but there was plenty of food for everyone and it was all top quality. We stayed in a honeymoon suite overnight that again overlooked the sea and it was beautiful. We also had the option of breakfast in bed which was great! If I could I would do it all over again and it would be here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Ah we love hearing from our past bride & grooms! Thank you for taking the time to leave such lovely comments.

We are delighted that you day was everything you dreamed of and hope you have some great memories of it.

Becca x
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed at the Pegwell for three nights over Christmas 2011 as a convenient base of operations within a few minutes walking distance from relatives we were visiting for Christmas. The hotel is very well furnished, with a large and comfortable room (we got a free upgrade to one of the suites) with a very comfortable bed, large and decent shower, good TV, tea and coffee making facilities etc. - and the hotel left us with a couple of small Christmas souvenir gifts which was a nice touch. We did not make any use of the hotel restaurant and amenities other the the large car park, but would comment that the keycard access is convenient and secure. The hotel is right opposite the Sir Stanley Gray pub owned by the same company, we have been there before for meals and it was a very nice pub/restaurant, and apparently you can charge drink/meals to the hotel room. There are a couple of other pub/restaurants nearby, we heard no noise from them (Christmas Eve + two subsequent nights). Definitely a drive to any 'civilisation'.
If we had to pick a negative aspect, the prices were a little higher than we would have expected for a very off-season booking.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denmead-Couple
PegwellBayHotel, Manager at Pegwell Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave some feed back on our hotel. We are pleased you had an enjoyable stay with and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsgate
Royal Harbour Hotel
Holiday Inn Express, Ramsgate - Minster
Walpole Bay Hotel
Walpole Bay Hotel
#3 of 12 in Margate

Been to Pegwell Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!