“Wedding reception and two night stay”
Review of The Oak Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Oak Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Ramsgate
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Wedding reception and two night stay”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My husband and I picked The Oak Hotel as our wedding reception venue due to it looking good, being in a great location and very affordable. Guests who stayed also got a discount off their room which is always great.

I stayed the night before our wedding and the room was small but clean and tidy. I couldn't get the shower to work, but that might just be me to blame, but the bath was wonderful. I was unfortunately woken up a lot by other people being noisy in the hallways and ended up getting up at 6 am because I could hear everyone on my floor having showers! But, that isn't the hotel or the staffs fault really as there isn't much you can do about wall thickness and guests having to get up early to leave. I, personally, wasn't all that bothered as I was getting married that day so I could just get an early start on things and I'm often up early anyway, but it might bother some.

The Tiffany Suite where we had our reception was gorgeous. The room was laid out perfectly, the staff were very helpful and everything was wonderful. I would definitely recommend hosting an event there as it was all done so professionally and for a very good price. We had the room all day too.

The second night my husband and I stayed together in the same room and it was fine. No noisy neighbours this time! Although the room is on the small size we didn't find it a squeeze, though I imagine some might.

Despite being on the harbour front on a bank holiday weekend we didn't notice any noise or disturbances at all throughout our stay.

We also ate at the restaurant and the food, drinks and service was all fantastic. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: You may want to specify that you would like a little more space, my parents stayed in the hotel too...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

Great location is always a good start. Quite a nice hotel with nice pub/restaurant downstairs. The room I was in was very clean and cleaned on a daily basis. Nice hot and powerful shower. Staff very friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I suppose the fact that my wife and I stay with you once or twice every year makes us regulars. However, I am pleased to say that the reason we visit regularly is because we are never disappointed. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the service is excellent and always friendly and the food in the restaurant is first class. If it wasn't so we would not bring the family - all 13 of them - to eat & stay on special anniversary occasions. We look forward to our next visit!
Arthur Blaney

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Expotel, Manager at The Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank You Mr Blaney for taking the time to review the hotel.

It’s always a pleasure to read the teams hard work does not go unnoticed. We will as all comments good or bad relay the feedback to the staff.

We look forward to welcoming the Blaney family again in the near future.

Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2013

tried the oak again as reasonably pleased with last visit but not impressed this time.The rooms are ok but very small and the food in the bar restaurant is extremely poor although this may be because very quiet at this time of year.
the staff were 1st class and very helpful but found all of ramsgate really quiet with hardly anyone in any of the restaurants even on a Friday night.
roll on the spring !!!!!!

Room Tip: in summer stay away from the ones on the left (looking at the front of the hotel) as can get very no...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Expotel, Manager at The Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

I am saddened to here that your second visit to the hotel did not live up to the previous stay. Regrettably, this time of year is a very quiet time for the hotel and for all local traders due to the location, the wind and rain does not always seem as appealing as the sun. Because of this, the whole sea front can suffer which is a shame.
My general manager would be grateful for some more information on the comments concerning the restaurant food so he can investigate further.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Whitehaven, Cumbria
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Rooms are generally clean and comfortable but be warned, if you get one of the higher floors bring your climbing gear as there is no lift!
The food in either of the Restaurants are good but the beer can be pricey!
So, all in all, ok to spend the odd night but I wouldn't spend any length of time here.

Room Tip: First floor front facing if possible!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Good Afternoon.

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to see you found the rooms clean and comfortable. We will be sure to pass your comments onto the chefs regarding the good food.

Vejle,Denmark
Reviewed 5 November 2012

It has the most fantastic location, rigth in the middle of ramsgate at the habour.
The room was at the top floor(4th) and with no lift. It was difficult to carry your suitcase in the stairways and our room was old and dirty. The bathroom was in a very bad shape.
Breakfast was ok and the waiters very nice . They offer you a full english breakfast if you want.
I dont think I would go back to that hotel although the staff was very nice and helpfull.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you your review.

The hotel building is a very old building and refurbished in 2004, with only a small extension to increase the amount of rooms. Due to the lay out we are unable to have a lift installed directly through the hotel which unfortunately does not suite everyone’s requirements.
As seen in some of the reviews before and verbal direct Feedback to the front desk team, the feedback is always very positive about the cleanliness of the room & the bathrooms. I am very surprised to hear you found the room dirty; nevertheless, we do take on board all comments good or bad. Please feel free to contact the hotel were we could discuss the issue in more detail.
We will ensure the team are made aware of there special mention for helpfulness on trip advisor.

Hotel Management team
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We stayed in a family room as we were attending a wedding near by. Due to the time of check in and the time of the wedding clashing we didn't get to our room until 1am. Our bags were left in a friend's room which was a bit of hassle but is obviously not the hotel's fault. When we arrived back to the hotel I realised it was directly next to clubs which on a Saturday night were busy and noisy. There was no staff available during the night however there is an on call porter, I was desperate for a glass of water but there was nowhere I could get one and nobody I could ask. When we got into our room it was massive and although it was decorated in many different bright colours it looked good enough. I was sleeping on the sofa bed and I am not lying when I say it was rock hard, so were the pillows. It was also very musty. The noise from the clubs was so loud with the beat of the music and the shouting and screaming from the people outside that it was hard to get to sleep. In the morning I woke up in a lot of pain from the bed. The view from the window was lovely, our room looked straight out onto the harbour which was nice. Breakfast was also very nice. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family