other traveller has booked this property

Review of Henriette

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Terrible
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Terrible - based on 1 review

Reviews from our community

UHCAT
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Warning: moneygrabbing operation, not interested in having happy guests”
Reviewed 23 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016
people found this review helpful

What should have been a lovely birthday weekend in a beautiful luxury apartment turned out quite the disappointment. The disappointment was twofold: the apartment wasn't up to standards, and the lacking service by the agency (My Seaside Luxury, owned by the same owners as the reputable Albion House in Ramsgate), that is all about making a quick buck off the back of mislead guests.

Firstly, the apartment maintenance is not to the standards the pictures on Tripadvisor (or on the website) seem to suggest. Upon entering; there was an overwhelming scent of toilet freshner. The Laura Ashley couch was heavily stained. The curtains were ripped. The skim board in the kitchen was loose. The cleaning of the bathroom was unacceptable (dirt and mould). The alarm in the hallway was on, with no means for us to turn it off.

We informed the agency at the earliest opportunity during our stay, as requested by them on their website, to give them a chance to fix the issues we had (see terms and conditions). We had no response. The terms and conditions on the website mention that upon arriving; the guests will get a call to make sure everything is in order. We never received that call. We left our comments by the reception upon check-out, where we were promised that they would contact us. I contacted the agency myself the next day.

We were told then that our deposit would be released. I had to chase this three days after, but never got a reply to that email. The deposit was finally released the next day, which seems like a nice coincidence.

Unfortunately, the agency was not able to check the issues we raised, because new guests arrived the day after we left. This is surprising for three reasons. First of all, all guests have to pre-authorize a deposit. Usually this means that the property is checked upon check-out (and before the next guests arrive). The agency does not do this. If I had known this, I would not have pre-authorised the deposit; as any existing damage could be blamed on us (no check after previous guests). Secondly, we had informed the agency during our stay and upon checkout, so they had 27 hours to verify the issues before the next guests arrived (cleaners have to come in anyway). Thirdly, the terms and conditions clearly state that the agency may come in to check maintenance issues. Additionally, it would have been in the best interest of the future guests to make sure everything was alright for them.

It is important to note that we had attached pictures of all the issues we found as well – the agency never acknowledged these pictures.

The issues were not checked immediately. Instead, I was informed that the property would be vacated by the guests 12 days after our checkout (we informed the agency about the issues the day after we arrived). When I contacted the agency on the day they left to check if they were able to confirm the issues, the agency confirmed that they would let me know when they did. 4 days after the next guests had left, I had still not heard anything, so chased the agency again. They promptly confirmed all the issues, and offered a compensation: 20 percent off of our next stay at the property, where we could check that the maintenance issues were fixed.

This whole operation is a quick way of making money off the back of mislead guests. Nothing is being done to ensure guests have a nice stay – property was not checked before our arrival, during (as promised in terms and conditions), or after (despite us highlighting issues). Deposit is taken without any protection for the guests, as no checks are done before arrival. Terms and conditions are not followed by the agency. Guests have to constantly chase the agency for any communication. We had to wait 17 days after checkout before our issues were “resolved”. The “compensation” meant that they would still make money out of us on our next stay, although slightly less than before. This despite them confirming all the issues we have raised (have written proof of this)!

I request Tripadvisor contacts me to receive proof of my booking, as I would be surprised if the owner confirms our stay (as they are aware we were unhappy). Potentially; this is the reason why no other reviews are mentioned on this page.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing