“A truly awful room.”
Review of Anand Lodge

Anand Lodge
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Wanted somewhere cheap to stay whilst at working locally for a couple days. It's definitely cheap but that's where the appeal ends. Possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. No staff just a phone in the reception where I was told the room number and code to get in. The room was shabby and dirty. No shower or bath just a toilet and basin. Water heater on the wall that missed the sink and emptied water straight onto the floor! Curtains had been pulled off their hooks so didn't cover the windows. Luckily I left too early for breakfast but from the look of the breakfast room (a table, coke machine, hotplate and fridge) I didn't miss much.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9 at all costs.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank John_Coombs

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Horrendous! Very dirty hotel with uncomfortable bed. No breakfast although not sure I would want to eat there. We only stayed one night and that we enough! Has to be the worst hotel at which I have ever stayed! Avoid at all costs. Cheap maybe but £1 would be too much!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The new bathroom and renovated room surprised me. The rest of the place still needs a lot of work. The staff is very friendly and helpful. For a short stay and someone with a car, I can recommend the place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Viktoria T
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We arrived here late evening and there was confusion about our advanced booking. The guy at the reception was polite but was unsure of what he was doing.
The bedroom at the top of the house was shabby and not clean but we were too tired to comment.
The carpets were dirty and stained and there was one towel provided for the 2 of us which was not clean. I had to ask for 2 clean towels also 2 toilet rolls as nearly all the toilet paper had been used up. We asked to be moved to another room the following night saying we were not happy about staying there. Breakfast wasnt included in the price and they asked for cash in advance. We ate in a dirty kitchen and the following day decided to eat elsewhere.
The room we moved to the following night was a single room and no better. It was dirty, the bed was smaller and worse still the sheets weren't clean and the quilt not warm enough. The walls were dirty and the wallpaper was peeling off the ceiling.
The evening before someone had thrown up on the entrance step and no
one had cleaned it up.
The owners were not ready to have guests staying there as building work was in progress.
Although I asked to speak to the manager i was told she was not available.
Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eve H
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This place is a great place to teach your wife how not to sign up to a dodgy crap hotel. I am an electronics engineer and I saw all the other reviews after we came back but so far none have comented on the fact that the electric wiring is dodgy and dangerous. The first night we had a room which was dirty but I saw something that my wife did not which was that a fuse box for the light near the basin in our first room was only about 2 inches from the sink. This should never have been passed by any electrical inspector. On each side of our bed were spot lights which i suppose were put their for reading. I was intrigued by how one could put them on and found that the switches were behind the head board. This place would be a great place to have a comedy hotel show like Fawlty Towers. if one is using it as a hotel best avoid it.

Room Tip: Avoid this place unless you want an expensive laugh.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John B
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We got the room very cheep as booked far in advance, I have stayed in travel lodges before and did not mind the "basic" element as only wanted it for sleeping. initially the service was awful one lad was very "off" he really could not be bothered ( not a good start). Have to say though the rest of the staff were fine saw this lad again and he was exactly the same again but as I had good service from other staff realised he was just a grumpy git and needed to get another profession. My main problem was the bed it was sooooo uncomfortable both me and my partner had 4 terrible nights sleep, the mattress was bumpy and very thin it was really bad hardly got any sleep. Also when flushing the toilet the noise kept going for a good 2 min, which to be honest was just annoying. It was the bed it was a nightmare ( I wish I could have had a nightmare at least I would have slept)
The buffet breakfast I am fussy I admit I am lactose and gluten intolerant and do not eat meat, I asked if they had anything and was told before I paid they would have something, I paid and was told they did not have anything well they did ......2 grilled tomatoes vile orange juice, coffee and water yey!!! My partner is not fully eats anything and was not impressed for £7.50 .....we were at a wedding and we had arranged to meet up for breakfast so the company was lovely. would not recommend this hotel because of the bed and the breakfast (if you do stay here pop into the center and go to Carluccio for a beautiful breakfast and all dietary requirements catered for.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dancar1
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My expectations were low, the staff were very friendly but the place simply isn't finished and as a result is very scruffy. The major failing on my stay was that the toilet in my room wasn't usable - having been blocked by the last guest. I had a terrible night's sleep - but i don't think that was all the hotel's fault. Kitchen/breakfast facilities aren't really justifiably labelled as that.

However I will say that I think this will be a nice little guest house once finished, I just think they've tried to open it too early and haven't quite thought about the effects this has on the paying guest.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Russell Hotel
Russell Hotel
#10 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Premier Inn Tonbridge Hotel

Been to Anand Lodge? Share your experiences!